Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 11:49 
Insiders
Insiders

Hey Slinky, have you had any issues with texture quality? When I select an Eyefinity resolution, the texture quality resets to low and I'm only able to select between low and very low when trying to change the settings. If I set the resolution back to standard, then I can once again select ultra textures. It's frustrating, because low resolution textures are super bad.

Last edited by Bifurk8 on 26 Mar 2013, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 12:00 
Insiders
Insiders

OK, so the issue with texture quality getting stuck on low is actually a problem with Eyefinity+Crossfire. It works fine if I use just Crossfire or just Eyefinity, but when both are enabled, texture quality defaults to the laughably bad low or very low setting and can't be increased. It's so bad, you can't read the opening quote, see Booker's name on the wooden box you're handed in the opening scene, or see any of the photos/notes in the box. They're all a blurry mess.

Hopefully AMD will release a Crossfire profile or driver update to fix it soon, 'cause there's no way I can push ultra settings at 6048x1080 with just one 7950.

*Edit: I'm currently running 13.3 beta drivers with 12.11 CAP 2.

I've posted about the issue on the 2K support forums, chime in and let them know if you run into it too.

Here are some screenshots to demonstrate:

You should be seeing the game's opening quote here:

Booker's name is supposed to be engraved on this box:

This is a photo of Elizabeth that was obviously taken with a potato:

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 13:14 

Bifurk8 wrote:
OK, so the issue with texture quality getting stuck on low is actually a problem with Eyefinity+Crossfire. It works fine if I use just Crossfire or just Eyefinity, but when both are enabled, texture quality defaults to the laughably bad low or very low setting and can't be increased. It's so bad, you can't read the opening quote, see Booker's name on the wooden box you're handed in the opening scene, or see any of the photos/notes in the box. They're all a blurry mess.

Didn't have that problem on my computer using Eyefinity and 3 7970s, textures are gorgeous. Not sure if it's related to your problem, but you should remove the 12.11 CAP2 from your system. 13.3 betas don't need any CAP atm.

Oculus Rift

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 13:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Thanks, LordJuanlo. I hadn't heard that 13.3 betas didn't need CAPs. I uninstalled the CAP, rebooted, and still get the same issue. I'll try a complete driver uninstall, driver sweeper, and reinstall without CAPs and see if that makes any difference. I'll be back with the results soon.

Edit: Unfortunately I didn't see any change. Turned out I had been running 13.3 beta 2. Uninstalled that. Rebooted in safe mode. Ran driver sweeper. Rebooted. Installed 13.3 beta 3. Didn't install CAPs. Rebooted. Still getting fugly textures and not allowed to adjust in-game past Low quality. :( Gonna be stuck at work for a while, but I'll fiddle with it some more when I'm off.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 15:34 

Bifurk8 wrote:
Hey Slinky, have you had any issues with texture quality? When I select an Eyefinity resolution, the texture quality resets to low and I'm only able to select between low and very low when trying to change the settings. If I set the resolution back to standard, then I can once again select Ultra resolution. It's frustrating, because low resolution is super bad.

I am having the exact same issue running a single 7950. Can only choose Low or Very Low for texture detail when in Eyefinity (works fine if I change to 1920x1080), so I have to be 2 feet from a sign to see what it says. It makes the game unplayable to me, it is so bad. Help!!!

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 16:09 
Insiders
Insiders

A poster on the 2K forums says he's getting the exact same issue with a single 7950 in Eyefinity under both 13.1 and 13.3. So, while I can run fine w/ a single card in Eyefinity but not with crossfired cards, it looks like the problem may lie somewhere other than crossfire.

*Edit:

Hey huckleberry182, welcome to WSGF!

:welcome

I didn't see your post when I wrote this.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 16:43 

Thx Bifurk8! It was waitig to be approved by a mod. Long time reader, first time poster :thumbup: Glad to have finally joined.

Interesting that you don't have the problem with a single card.....so odd....

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 17:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Hey LordJuanlo, what OS are you running? So far it doesn't appear to be an issue specific to the 7950 series nor a specific processor or chipset. The only thing myself, huckleberry182, and CaDashing seem to have in common at first glance is that we're all on Windows 7 64 bit and AMD cards.

*Edit: I tried editing Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\XEngine.ini with the value TextureDetailLevel=1 to TextureDetailLevel=4 but that didn't do anything. It was reset to TextureDetail=1 after starting the game. I tried setting XEngine.ini to read-only after making the change and it does then keep TextureDetail=4, but in-game the textures are still set to low quality.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 19:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Alright, now we've got another user in the 2K forums reporting this issue on a single 5xxx series Radeon card on a single monitor. At this point, I'm going to call it a bug with the game that may be related to AMD cards, but probably isn't related to Crossfire or Eyefinity specifically.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2013, 19:33 

Just loaded the game in eyefinity & crossfire (2x7950), didn't even have to touch anything... automatically picked "multi-monitor", the correct res & set it to Very High as a default quality...

Not saying it's not an issue just adding to the list that does work to narrow it down..

oh and I'm on:-

• Latest Beta drivers from AMD (13.3 beta 3)
  • Win 8 64bit

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |