Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 22:57 
Editors
Editors

Bifurk8 wrote:
*Edit 3: Looking in to FCAT now, since that seems to be what most sites were using around the time phase 1 of the frame pacing drivers were released.

*Edit 4: Wowza, FCAT is some serious business and requires a lot of investment to get set up and running. So, that's out!

*Edit 5: Alright, I'm calling it. As far as I can tell, there's no easy, accurate way for the average user to benchmark frame times. Take my benchmarks above with a large dose of salt. It's just too hard to measure exactly what impact frame pacing is having without better equipment and more knowledge than I've got on the subject. Hopefully some of the pros will chime back in soon with better measurements.

Bingo !

Thats why i stopped meassuring with Fraps. It's just not what you really see on your Monitor. Therefore not worth the trouble :(

P.S MSI Afterburner is NOT made for FrameTime meassurement! Unwinder somewhen clearly stated that it's not very accurate. So FRAPs is better, but still nothing like you see it on your Monitor.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2014, 23:58 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah, the only thing I really got from all this testing is that it's easy to visually identify large variances in frame times once you know what to look for. All those configurations struggled with frame times to one degree or another at the exact same time during the Tomb Raider benchmark, despite the frame rate staying high throughout.

You can easily spot the point where the frame times spiked near the beginning of each graph. The single card configuration just had one big spike, but the dual cards with and without frame pacing have several big spikes. That's right near the start of the benchmark as the camera is rotating around Lara and pointing at the mountains and brush behind her, before panning around to show the beach and ocean.

When watching the screen during the benchmark, the stuttering at that one point is quite obvious. Otherwise, it's not very visually apparent during the rest of the benchmark. At the very least, it's a good way to point out what microstutter looks like to anybody who has never seen or noticed it.

*Edit: This spot right here corresponds with the highest variance in frame times and is obvious while watching the benchmark:

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2014, 14:04 

I am running trifire 7970's on Rampage iv, 3960x @ 4.8 ghz, 3x Displayport monitors connected by Club3d Displayport hub @ 6040x1080 60hz.

I have noticed great results with the new 14.1 drivers. Vsync now work with crossfire + eyefinity. Prior to the 14.1 drivers vsynch would stutter/hitch and give odd tearing/image corruption. Mostly all games I have tested seem more fluid some more then others.

Have any of you tested vsync ? I am curious to see if it works with mixed outputs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15