Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 04:53 
Founder
Founder

DoubleJJ, would you be able to record some footage of a few games running on the 5x1 portrait setup? I've been loving my 3x1 landscape setup, but I think 5x1 would keep the widescreen I want and give me the height I'm looking for. I'd love to see it in action first though.

Once they get the drivers, I'm all over it as well.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 06:56 

does this hack only work on steam games ? or will it work on most games ?

Also will a single 5870 be able to drive 4960x1600 AA off and most details on low-medium ?

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 12:34 

It works with any games as long as you can change the resolution in the config file and set windowed mode. However some games will simply not work.

My experience is the large majority do with good performance.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 13:31 

Crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode, some limitation in the way Windows handles the display I think. You might be able to get rid of the border using Shift Window fuzioninfinity linked in another thread:
http://grismar.net/shiftwindow/

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 21:37 

this makes me wonder... shouldn't this trick work for any x screen desktop setup independently of using an EF card ?

of course then there's the limitations of number of screens and allowed resolutions which are way higher on ATI cards for the moment ..

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 11:40 

this makes me wonder... shouldn't this trick work for any x screen desktop setup independently of using an EF card ?

of course then there's the limitations of number of screens and allowed resolutions which are way higher on ATI cards for the moment ..

It will only work off the single card and most GPUs are limited to 2 screens. Also from my experience when ive tried dragging windowed mode games / videos between 2 screens in the past one half of the screen has simply gone black until it was fully on 1 monitor or another, this was with my old GTX280 and 8800GTX. Atis 5 series seems to be the first allowed to do this which was why i was so surprised when it worked!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2010, 13:47 

Tom's hardware has an overview of Eyefinity that doesn't have much new for readers here, but had this (on page 6 - Bezel Comp).

As forum poster Snipe3000 noted in our last Eyefinity piece, the technology’s utility for some users will be limited until a portrait-landscape-portrait mode is supported. (By coincidence, this author happens to use that same arrangement for daily work.) We asked AMD about this and got an honest answer: In the present generation, Eyefinity groups are largely based on cloning. Rotation would have “added a lot more work” to an already intensive effort, and there just wasn’t enough engineering bandwidth to squeeze the feature into the launch.

“We know people who have that configuration for productivity and agree that it can be useful in gaming,” says AMD’s Roger Quero. “So yes, we do have people looking into it.”

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 05:27 

Another video if you guys want it lil better quality. Unfortunately my 200mb video got "youtubed" now its only like 50mb so obviously its massively bitrate starved =(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sXcoZj7fwU

Whats interesting is crossfire works in windowed mode in DX10 / 11 games just not older games

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2010, 12:26 
Founder
Founder

Is Just Cause DX9 or DX10?

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2010, 10:00 

Is Just Cause DX9 or DX10?

I thought it was 10 but maybe not...? Crossfire certainly isnt working in windowed mode.

Performance in Dirt 2 though is great !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next