Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 May 2024, 13:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 21:18 

ARGH, just had to retype the whole reply as my login timed out :( This reply will be briefer..

Yes, there are the 8 and 6 pin power connected.

Drivers are the ati 8.663 hemlock beta, the only ones available from ati for the 5970.

I have had it happen in dirt 2 , rfactor and il2. The only games loaded so far.

The setup is a i7 920 clocked to 3.7, runs fine with prime95 for 40 mins, at 70deg C.

Its all in a coolermaster 932 HAF, thats got 3x 200mm fans, a 150mm fan as well as the two 120mm fans on the megahalems heatsink.

Right now at idle the gpu is 42 deg C, I cant load anything right now but it wasnt getting anywhere near 100C under load. I cant quite remember what it was though, in the 70's maybe.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 21:26 

I have a Corsair HX450W and had this problem a lil while ago as well while playing. Nothing overclocked and I have a 5850 with 2 monitors. About to hook up a 3rd with EyeFinity. Will this have an impact on my powersupply? Do I need to worry about anything? Never had any other problems and only happened once so I might be just paranoid, just checking though.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 22:55 

I loaded up the MSI afterburner tool, not for the purpose of overclocking but because it has all the graphs for load etc..

I played around with the unigine benchmark and dirt 2. Noticed something interesting..

GPU 2 would go to ~100% gpu temp for cpu2 would be ~50degress and gpu1 a little less.

GPU 1 was not running at all with dirt or unigine?? It's like crossfire is not enabled and there is no option in the catalyst drivers to enable it like there was for my 4870.. another mystery? I would imagine that the msi tool is compatible enough with my HIS to work..

I hope only one gpu is running and I get the other one to go as well, more FPS :)

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 23:16 

FYI, I was just at the guru3d forum and there is a big thread about this. It happens to a lot of people with no obvious common reason.

It can happen after 5 minutes or 5 hours, quite random but common enough on these cards.. Bit of a bugger. Now to find out if I am only running 1 GPU or if the software only reports 1 gpu running but both are.

I see in the catalyst tab it show only activity on one gpu and not two as well but in my searching I haven't found this problem..

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 01:36 

OK, I may have figured it out..

A number of guys who had this problem with an asus motherboard fixed it with a bios upgrade. I wasn't on the latest so I upgraded. As it is random when it happens I decided to overclock as that would always give me a problem.. I was able to this time..

It was running from stock 725/1000 to 850/1100 overclocked. I cant change it much more without getting the problem though. I was unable to get this far in the past without a very quick gray screen.

I suspect I cant get higher because I dont have a util to overvolt the memory but I am happy anyway.

Running the unigine benchmark the gpu's get to ~62 deg C

Now, if I only had two of these cards and a game that really looked like that demo then I would be happy! :)

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 04:28 

BAH, I seem to be finding every problem you can with this card..

It seems that crossfire was not working. It has been identified as a problem with dirt2 at least. There was a hotfix which I downloaded..

Now I get the BSOD on win 7 every time I try an create my eyefinity group.. One monitor seems ok although I havet tried to run dirt and see if I get crossfire on the single monitor. Academic if I do because I want Three!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 21:51 

Interesting about the crossfire not working. It's the catalyst AI. Everyone says turn it off and it seems to turn of crossfire as well.

One it's back on then crossfire also works with framerates going up a lot.. Everything needs to be learnt the hard way with this card..

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 22:03 

Crossfire is not supported in Eyefinity yet!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 00:48 

I am running the 5970 which does supported eyefinity for some games.

Also, I was having the problem of crossfire not running when I did not have an eyefinity group set up, e.g. testing with benchmarks like unigine.