Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 19:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Th first preview of the SIX:
http://vr-zone.com/articles/ati-radeon-hd-5870-eyefinity-edition-previewed/7993.html?doc=7993

...and yes it has 2GB :)

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 22:19 

This card interests me more than the upcoming dual GPU 5970.

First off it is a single 5870 with 2gb memory, that is very good and great for Eyefinity setups. And I always thought a 5 x 1 with all displays in Portrait mode will look fucking awesome giving a 6000 x 1920res for 5 - 24" monitors

Whats the release date for this beast ? Same as the 5970 around Thanksgiving ? Approx price ?

I play WoW the most, and on my current Eyefinity setup at 5760x1200res Landscape mode it looks good, but Portrait mode is even better looking, but not quite with just 3 monitors, for Portrait mode to really look the awesome it needs a 5x1 setup. So if I can get 2 more 24" monitors I would have 5 total giving me a resolution of 6000x1920 HOLY SH!T

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 03:19 
Insiders
Insiders

But does it do EF with CF?

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 05:58 
Insiders
Insiders

But does it do EF with CF?
Not yet

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 06:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Four such cards in CrossfireX, and you have a 24-panel giant display.

...only on the 2D desktop.

Nothing new in that article plus the typical inaccuracies...

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 06:20 

Time will tell...

This is the card I plan to get, no doubt...

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 06:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Time will tell...

If it really was the case, there'd be no real need for a 6 port card, just jam as many cards as you have PCIe ports into the mobo. All evidence has shown that this is not the case and likely will never be. People have been making seriously bad assumptions ever since AMD played that Linux bait and switch X-Plane demo where FOUR instances of X-Plane were running (not one). You show me EyeFinity currently working with more than 6 displays in SLS mode and I'll show you a hoax. :wink:

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 06:57 

[quote]Time will tell...

If it really was the case, there'd be no real need for a 6 port card, just jam as many cards as you have PCIe ports into the mobo. All evidence has shown that this is not the case and likely will never be. People have been making seriously bad assumptions ever since AMD played that Linux bait and switch X-Plane demo where FOUR instances of X-Plane were running (not one). You show me EyeFinity currently working with more than 6 displays in SLS mode and I'll show you a hoax. :wink:

The technology is here, it will probably continue to spread, and because of that, this technology will be able to expand and CF will soon be ready!

IF the 2GB rumor is true (without being a x2) than I will get 2 of these and CF with Eyefinity. I don't need DVI or VGA, I have a DP monitor and will make the most of this, but I will not buy just to buy, will research and what not. ;)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 18:44 

Hmm wont their be a 4gb version as well?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 00:14 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote]Time will tell...

The technology is here, it will probably continue to spread, and because of that, this technology will be able to expand and CF will soon be ready!

IF the 2GB rumor is true (without being a x2) than I will get 2 of these and CF with Eyefinity. I don't need DVI or VGA, I have a DP monitor and will make the most of this, but I will not buy just to buy, will research and what not. ;)

IMHO, wishful thinking on your part. The mechanics of it are designed not to bridge GPUs or cards. There will be bandwidth and latency issues within the mobo bus if they go that route. Sure SoftTH does it, but at a cost. EyeFinity was never initially designed to bridge GPUs or Cards. Just ask they guys here that helped design it. :wink:

Don't confuse Crossfire compatability with multicard/multi-GPU Eyefinity compatability. That's apples and oranges comparision. Crossfire is the exact opposite feature of Eyefinity hence would need to be totally recoded at a driver level to allow for multi-GPU port out. Sure, AMD is working towards multi-GPU and 1 card port outs, but multi-GPU and multi-card outs is a whole different matter.