Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2009, 09:08 

Eh all....I've been running of late pretty happily with my converter and eyefinity monitor set up...

Have started noticing a flicker in game on nfs: shift...centre screen only, down the bottom, like it is refreshing ever so slowly..its weird, doesnt really affect the gameplay, just gets annoying. its like a layer passing over another layer, but just the bottom 1/4 of the screen...also, when playing full screen mode with just the two speedo's on screen, the gfx is a little weird..3 layers of gfx on top of each other as if it cant render properly whats underneath...might take a screenie and show you all which might help...

Have switched monitors, checked cables, switched cables, reinstalled drivers but it keeps happening....I do recall it not happening at an earlier stage (actually win7 Release client)...after installing the full win7 again..hmm, there it was...

Also, I am concerned it might be psu related (possible?) Im only running a 650 W (decent brand) with my current setup...

any ideas to throw at me? Im running out

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 04:34 

Eh all....I've been running of late pretty happily with my converter and eyefinity monitor set up...

Have started noticing a flicker in game on nfs: shift...centre screen only, down the bottom, like it is refreshing ever so slowly..its weird, doesnt really affect the gameplay, just gets annoying. its like a layer passing over another layer, but just the bottom 1/4 of the screen...also, when playing full screen mode with just the two speedo's on screen, the gfx is a little weird..3 layers of gfx on top of each other as if it cant render properly whats underneath...might take a screenie and show you all which might help...

Have switched monitors, checked cables, switched cables, reinstalled drivers but it keeps happening....I do recall it not happening at an earlier stage (actually win7 Release client)...after installing the full win7 again..hmm, there it was...

Also, I am concerned it might be psu related (possible?) Im only running a 650 W (decent brand) with my current setup...

any ideas to throw at me? Im running out

I don't see this on my setup running NFS Shift. What resolution are you running with which level of AA and AF? Is your ATI card overclocked?

With these insane resolutions, you might encounter some graphic anomalies if you crank up the AA and AF.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2009, 07:00 
Editors
Editors

Same problem here, its what ever monitor is using the display port connection and I am not using an adapter, so its got to be the card or the drivers.

It seems to happen when one texture passes over another some kind of transparency issue.

I can force it to happen on demand just by dragging a windowed firefox window around behind the vista taskbasr, it will clip in and out of the task bar. I have seen it happen in games a few times requiring me too reboot the computer to get rid of it.

In my testing I can confirm the following.

> It has only happened with the monitor using the display port connection
> I have only seen it on the bottom portion of the screen
> I have only seen it in eyefinity mode, not clone or span

My information along with a few random post like yours should be enough to verify that there is some sort of small issue in eyefinity and the display port connection that can occur in specific situations.

Update: found another way to make it happen on command, drawing anything in photoshop makes the bottom of my display port monitor flicker like crazy even if I am not drawing on that monitor while in eyefinity mode.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 10:00 

aah good stuff....atleast Im am not the only one going through this....I only get it in need for speed....batman works fine....me waits for driver updates :D

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2009, 12:11 
Editors
Editors

I did not see it in batman ether, so its a particular type of rendering causing the issue.

Why dont you test one of the two confirmed methods of making it happen thaat I posted if you can to see if you have the same problem as me? We can then take that and do some kind of bug report and send it to ATI.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 09:34 

yeah no problems...

I actually just loaded up half life ep: 2...I am messing around with some of the settings now..

I am getting some serious refreshing happening with this game on the centre screen...will keep you posted

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 13:39 

update....

seems as if i have made the problem go away. After disconnecting my monitor plugs and making sure that the displayport converter was wired through my centre monitor and getting rid of all hdmi-dvi monitor adaptors and just running DVI connectors i seem to have gotten rid of it...for now...

I also reinstalled the 9.10 drivers for good measure...

so far so good....could have been something to do with me running the following cable set up

gpu-displayport-DP/Dual DVI converter-dvi/hdmi adaptor-monitor...

the things we have to do to run 5760x1080 goodness

uuuum latest update...its kind of still there, but now its on another monitor, still atleast Im not looking straight at it....

the top DVI connection out of the GPU seems to be sending funny refresh signals into my monitor....the war continues

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 14:17 

okay...this is definitely figured out now...

The problem of bottom screen flicker refresh phenomenon only starts after I have grouped my monitors to 3x1...but wait for it...if my display are all over the place and I let eyefinity swap them around by clicking which screen is what it begins...

So, whenever i let eyefinity auto swap around my monitors in the right place the refresh flicker problem starts in game...

Basically, what i did was disable two monitors, swap the plugs around and then let eyefinity let me know what order they were in after I grouped as 3x1...after this, i manually swapped the plugs myself so the desktop aligned in 5760x1080

Must be a glitch in swapping the monitors over with the software...me sticks to hardware swapping for the moment :cheers

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2009, 18:45 
Editors
Editors

Well makes sense, I do not have that luxury since my cables are not all long enough to be toggled around but it sounds like it would be easy enough to fix via an update or hotfix.