Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:46

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 20:36 

All,

I've got 3 24" monitors for eyefinity.

Is there a calculated ideal viewing distance from each monitor as well as the angle the two outside monitors should be placed at?

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 20:44 

This depends on the game and on user preference.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2009, 21:57 

I agree with JKeefe.
I play racing games and i prefer that my wheel(controller) is as close as possible to the screen, so that it looks like it's sticking out of the virtual dashboard.
For FPS or RPG i would say around 50 cm (20 inches).

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 08:17 
Editors
Editors

Im regular desk distance from my 3x24"s the angle of the outside monitors is the angle that makes them point directly at me in my chair when I am sitting so that you view all 3 monitors face on.

Any closer and I would have to turn my head to see the side monitors, a tad further out and I can see all 3 easily but lose a bit of that "in game" feeling. So seems pretty much ideal.

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 06:19 

Its personal preference, but I try to make the distance to the centre of the screen to your eye, the same for all 3. It tends to give you the same focal plane when you glance to the outer screens IE (checking mirrors or other cars beside you ) thus not requiring your eye to refocus to any large degree.
I tend to think this would assist in reducing eye fatigue in long races where concentration is needed every second.

I know some of the guys I race with are mentally fried at the end of an hour, let alone a two or three hour enduro, which I compete in from time to time. Adding eye strain to that by having to re-focus all the time could see you mentally fatigue, and off the track quick smart

Therefore the angle is determined by the distance, the further away the screens are, the flatter the angle to maintain the same viewing distance.

Of course this is all my own opinion, and may have no relivance at all, but test it out for yourself and decide what works best for you. :D

[/img]

pls note that in the above pic the top desk is pushed away from the wheel to get all 3 screens in shot, the keyboead actually sits on the upper desk and the whole thing slides back and is rebated to fit up against my G25 and shifter

this may give you a better idea

[/img]
[/img]

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2009, 08:58 

Nice ride :)

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."