Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 17 Apr 2024, 00:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 02:43 

Here's my new eyefinity setup with 3 x Dell U2410's. I've made some comparison shots between my Dell 3007wfp-hc, eyefinity landscaped, and eyefinity portrait. I did test it out with the 3007 in the middle and it looked horrible to me. I like the portrait setup as the landscape setup stretches everything out too much ***fixed the FOV in the pics below*** I did notice my games took a good 40% reduction in FPS. Which makes since considering the card is pushing about 40% more resolution.

COD:WAW

Operation Flashpoint

Can't stop that signal

Youtube of Operation Flashpoint Eyefinity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYi5H1HwXA

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 02:53 

very cool. I have 3 Dell2408WFP's, I should try them out in Portrait mode. It makes the games look normal, while the triple widescreen looks freaked out and way too stretched.

Do you play WoW ? Would love to see that in Portrait mode, or any MMORPG, maybe Aion or WarHammer Online if you have any of those, please post pics.

So your new resolution is now 3600x1920 as opposed to 5760x1200res ? Are the frame rates the exact same with triple screens in Portrait vs Landscape ? I would think it should be no different, the pixel count would be exactly the same ?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 03:35 

You need Widescreen Fixer (made by member here I think) for WAW. As for Operation flashpoint, there might be a setting you're missing. People in this thread are talking about it.

Here's Cod:waw with widescreenfixer:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 04:53 
Editors
Editors

Yeah WAW needs the fixer, Operation Flashpoint you just need to set the aspect ratio to auto and it should work.

Me personally I cant see the reason to go 3x portrait for gaming, its like taking a nice big screen TV, increasing the resolution for almost no reason and adding 2 bezels through the middle of the screen.

I would much rather just game right on a quality big screen tv monitor. I do see many reasons to use portrait for work though, the resolution plays a larger role when viewing text and working on documents. In games its just slowing your fps down :D

Now 3x Landscape is what its all about IMO the whole purpose is to take up that large view so that your surrounded by the game. Instead of looking at a screen your looking into a screen and your peripheral vision is now looking at in game footage rather than the sides of your monitor.

You can choose to only focus on the center screen and play like normal and get that extra level of immersion, or you can change your focus point and look at the side monitors to take advantage of the extra FOV.

Of course for 3x landscape it is imperitive you have a game that supports Hor+ and Fov+

Man I cant wait for my U2410's to get here. I sent the 2407's out to there new owner in Canada today, and sent the 2408 back to Dell.

I have 5 day or less shipping on the new monitors so about 4 days left at max. I am crossing my fingers for monitors that take my breath away and show they were worth the money. I really do not want to end up with any defects and have to send any of them back.

Are you in sRGB mode by any chance? Have you tried game mode to see how it looks?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 05:05 

You need Widescreen Fixer (made by member here I think) for WAW. As for Operation flashpoint, there might be a setting you're missing. People in this thread are talking about it.

Here's Cod:waw with widescreenfixer:

Perfect fixes, updated the pics, thanks!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 05:09 

Yeah WAW needs the fixer, Operation Flashpoint you just need to set the aspect ratio to auto and it should work.

Me personally I cant see the reason to go 3x portrait for gaming, its like taking a nice big screen TV, increasing the resolution for almost no reason and adding 2 bezels through the middle of the screen.

I would much rather just game right on a quality big screen tv monitor. I do see many reasons to use portrait for work though, the resolution plays a larger role when viewing text and working on documents. In games its just slowing your fps down :D

Now 3x Landscape is what its all about IMO the whole purpose is to take up that large view so that your surrounded by the game. Instead of looking at a screen your looking into a screen and your peripheral vision is now looking at in game footage rather than the sides of your monitor.

You can choose to only focus on the center screen and play like normal and get that extra level of immersion, or you can change your focus point and look at the side monitors to take advantage of the extra FOV.

Of course for 3x landscape it is imperitive you have a game that supports Hor+ and Fov+

Man I cant wait for my U2410's to get here. I sent the 2407's out to there new owner in Canada today, and sent the 2408 back to Dell.

I have 5 day or less shipping on the new monitors so about 4 days left at max. I am crossing my fingers for monitors that take my breath away and show they were worth the money. I really do not want to end up with any defects and have to send any of them back.

Are you in sRGB mode by any chance? Have you tried game mode to see how it looks?

I'll spend some more time in landscape with the fixes and see which I like. I turned them all to game mode. I did notice a little pinkish tint in one of them. Ironically it came in a different box than the other monitors so I'm wondering what's up with that.

I'll post more about it on [H]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 05:31 
Editors
Editors

From all the reviews I read I think some of the pink tint may be a invalid complaint. Maybe not in your case but in other cases.

from the TFT central review I can see that all wide color gamut monitors hae an issue "oversaturating" the green and red when your not using a color managment software. Its not the monitors fault though, so this is what the sRGB mode is supposed to combat by using some kind of diethering to only show the proper narrow gamut color spectrum.

So its to my understanding that in game mode if you see some odd colors or pink tint that its normal, your turned off all the monitors color management/processing to decrease the input delay to the minimum. However if you see it in sRGB mode or cant manually correct for it I would call it a defect. Also in your case if only one monitor has it that would be a bit fishy, but there is a chance it just was not factory calibrated as well as the other two.

I do not think Dell has ever released a monitor that had it all right on the first try. The 2407 went up to Rev A04 and it was not until Rev A02 that it was a good monitor, and the 2408 also has 2 revisions I had an A02.

The U2410 being new has no revisions yet so there may be a price to pay for being one of the first people to own these monitors. I have also spoted pink tint complaints on the dell forums about this model. Mind PMing me the link to your [H] thread so I can follow it?

Lets hope that when/if there is a revision that we can manually do it ourselves, or that dell will allow us a free return for a replacement if its a vital fix.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 05:31 

See, now look at the first 3 pictures. The 3 monitors in landscape mode, you can see much more of the game world. For me, it's all about better awareness of the surroundings with Eyefinity.

Portrait should be great for work, I agree. It should be awesome just for websurfing.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 06:45 

I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy.

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 07:42 
Editors
Editors

I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy.

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

I am pretty sure you see the same amount of verticle game world with 3x portorate as you do with a single monitor in landscape or 3x monitors in landscape (as long as its hor+)

So yeah you get a crazy high resolution but other than that I think your just emulating having a larger single landscape monitor but with 2 bezels down the middle.