Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 10:29 

Sorry for the late reply guys,

Thanks NZCoyote for the additional info. I'm recreating the DS100 in a 3D program to illustrate the setup. The program is every accurate so we will know for sure how thing all fit.

Will post back soon with some illustration.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 13:20 
Insiders
Insiders

Those extension kits appear to be quite the rip-off, considering what it's comprised of. Hell, I could get a CUSTOM stand for less...

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 13:56 

I'm intersted, can you give us a link?

Would be nice to have some option other than Ergotron. I wish I could have access to a realy good machine shop I would just design my own. :wink:

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2009, 15:37 

I can confirm the ds100 can hold a 30" monitor (HP LP3065) in portrait, just barely. However, for the center monitor to fit above the base, you need to edge the arm about half way above the 14.5 inch pull, so the clamp hangs a little over. I was a little hesitant to do this at first, but even with the clamp only half-way on, it's sturdy as heck (I tested with my own weight by standing on it :) )

The side 30" monitors fit just fine with the ds100 (with no extension arms) in portrait with about 1/2" to spare on either side.

It's also, still very stable, even with the extra weight of three 30" monitors (about 87 lbs total). No need to lock the base to the desk although I probably will anyways for extra security.

Just waiting for the extender kit now to see if I can fit landscape...

UPDATE: ds100 with the extender kit + 3 30" in landscape = massive fail. Although the monitors fit fine with room to spare, the weight and forward center of gravity is just too much for the arms and base. The weight of exterior monitors both bend down the arms and make the base tip. Luckily, I had someone with me who helped catch the base before it came crashing down :oops: Even if the base was bolted down, I wouldn't trust it.

Strange though... the total weight of the monitors is still a good bit under the max spec. I think it's more the forward center of grav that's the issue.