Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 14:04 

My only gripe with Eyefinity so far is the fish eye lens or very stretched out look on the side monitors in games, it is pretty bad and annoying to me now. In WoW it is almost a distraction, the images look bent or like an acid trip all distorted too much, where it does not seem to go with the perfect quailty image on the main/center display.

I think this is all the issue with FOV ( field of View ) and the Aspect Ratio of 16:9 it sets this extreme resolution of 5760x1200 at. They need to have in-game settings to adjust the FOV and aspect ratio to like 48:9 or what ever that would be ? Until then the games look way too stretched out on the side monitors where is looks freaky, and almost like a different game compared to the center display.

Here is my original story about my setup with pictures;
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459191

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 14:08 
Insiders
Insiders

You can set FOV for WoW in the config.wtf file. This is nothing new as far as an issue though. Most 3D engines get the fisheye effect because they were never designed with such wide aspect ratios in mind. The closer to you get to 180 degrees the worse it gets in many 3d engines. This is an old issue people who have used TH2G for years have gotten pretty much used to though. Also SoftTH has a setting that can counter the effect. It would be nice to see that setting in the EyeFinity drivers.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 14:28 

You can set FOV for WoW in the config.wtf file. This is nothing new as far as an issue though. Most 3D engines get the fisheye effect because they were never designed with such wide aspect ratios in mind. The closer to you get to 180 degrees the worse it gets in many 3d engines. This is an old issue people who have used TH2G for years have gotten pretty much used to though. Also SoftTH has a setting that can counter the effect. It would be nice to see that setting in the EyeFinity drivers.

Thanks but how do I open the config.WTF folder ? And what should I set the FOV to ?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 14:45 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]You can set FOV for WoW in the config.wtf file. This is nothing new as far as an issue though. Most 3D engines get the fisheye effect because they were never designed with such wide aspect ratios in mind. The closer to you get to 180 degrees the worse it gets in many 3d engines. This is an old issue people who have used TH2G for years have gotten pretty much used to though. Also SoftTH has a setting that can counter the effect. It would be nice to see that setting in the EyeFinity drivers.

Thanks but how do I open the config.WTF folder ? And what should I set the FOV to ?

open the wtf folder in your wow install there should be a file called config.wtf. It's just a regular old text file with an odd file type. Open it up in WordPad. Add a line to the file:

SET fov "179"

Once that is added save the file. You might toy with the setting a bit. Substitute any number within the quotes as long as it's less than 180. 179 will probably be too extreme of a setting. This is the field of view setting up to 180 degrees.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 15:11 

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/7185

Also you may want to try this out for WoW.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=157691#157691