Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 23:56 
Editors
Editors

I'll try it now to see if my SLS profile will work after disable and enabling it.

Also seems comming back from monitor sleep things get messed up sometimes.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 00:45 

only annoyance i have right now is anytime i get the windows UAC pop up prompt for "do you want to xxx program install yyy", windows dims the desktop behind the pop up. when that happens the monitor connected to the bizlink/dell adapter goes blank for a few seconds. like it lost sync, and has to re sync again. really weird. also does it every time i change monitor resolution, that screen always lags behind by about 3 or 4 seconds.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 01:28 
Editors
Editors

only annoyance i have right now is anytime i get the windows UAC pop up prompt for "do you want to xxx program install yyy", windows dims the desktop behind the pop up. when that happens the monitor connected to the bizlink/dell adapter goes blank for a few seconds. like it lost sync, and has to re sync again. really weird. also does it every time i change monitor resolution, that screen always lags behind by about 3 or 4 seconds.

While not a fix I have a valid work around. Turn off UAC :D

It was the best thing I ever did for Vista, made using it go from ok to great, as back in the day 99% of the problems people had with vista was usualy programs needing admin rights. Turning off UAC makes the prompt never happen and gives programs admin access.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 02:49 

Heres' what I do.

Use Ultramon in conjunction with Eyefinity SLS.

When you want to game just switch to SLS mode.

when I'm going to do work and productivity I switch to 3 independant monitor and use Ultramon with them.

I use to do that with my Matrox Th2go and have a secondary video card with dual video to do the 3 independant monitor + ultramon. but I would have to sswitch input on my monitor manually.

Now with eyefinity I just swithc via software.

But I do wish there are fix or way to do this:

1) When I set the resolustion (SLS) say 3 independant monitor and SLS to hot keys.. it doesn't work.. say I'm in 3 indie and I do a hot to SLS it would just go to 3indie and I have to go through that "grop display" thing again. but if I"m in SLS and I do hotkey to 3 indi it would go through fine

2) Programs/Games don't see SLS "natively". Say when I"m in 3 indie monitor mode. With the Matrox, my games can still see/aware of the SLS resolution and when I start a game it goes to the SLS resolution automatically.

with eyefinity in 3 indie mode my game just see max of a single display resolution. if you don't switch to SLS manually first the game would default to some crappy 800x600 or the native resolution of a single monitor. this sound innocent as some games you can just switch back to SLS resolution when u start the game again.

BUT SOME GAMES you have to manually hack INI or some other file to get into SLS resolutions.. so if the game don't see the SLS when starting up it will switch to old resilution andu have to hack INI files again.

Anyway that two aspect Matrox got it down pact (along with bezel manamgemt)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 16:35 

OK, with regards to the Hotkey/profile approach not working, this appears to be a bug or a slight incompatibility with how Eyefinity works at the OS level. To get Eyefinity resolutions we first set the panels into clone mode at the OS level, then go the step further to strech the display across all of them. It appears that the profile manager is immediately trying to set up the Eyefinity resolution before giving enough time for CCC to step through the process required to actually get to the Eyefinity resolutions.

This is a bug, and we've filed a bug report, but in the meantime I the workaround is to select the profile and step through it 3 (yes, 3, I'm not sure why) times. I have Ctrl+Alt+X for extended and Ctrl+Alt+C for Eyefinity; one hit on Ctrl+Alt+X gets back to extended mode, but for Eyefinity I press Ctrl+Alt+C, wait for all screens to come back (cloned), press again and again wait (still clone) and then the 3rd time the Eyefinity resolution is enabled.

A little bit clanky, but as I said, a bug report has been filed.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2009, 17:31 
Editors
Editors

lol sure enough 3rd time is a charm.

It takes 2 times for my extended to work and 3 for my SLS but they do work.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 01:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I think it's pretty safe to say you should turn off spanned mode when not playing a game and pick up either UltraMon or DisplayFusion to get taskbars on your other monitors.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 03:47 

I think it's pretty safe to say you should turn off spanned mode when not playing a game and pick up either UltraMon or DisplayFusion to get taskbars on your other monitors.
Yeah, I didn't really understand how simple this seems to be with EyeFinity. Glad I started the topic, though; it's an interesting discussion.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 04:47 
Editors
Editors

Got the trial of ultramon, pretty nifty, it doesnt do what i thought it did and give me a full taskbar (aka start button/menu) on each monitor but the idea of holding minimized stuff on the monitor that item is on is nice. I think I like the fullscreen/monitor move option added to the windows more than anything.

The screensaver/background options are nice too.

I guess since its a trial it goes away after so long and I wont be willing to pay like $50 for the full version.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 20:53 

It's $40, not $50, according to the UltraMon website.

My favorite thing about it is the smart taskbar; as you say, it puts application's taskbar slots on the correct monitor, which is extremely useful for productivity work.

I spent the $40 6 or 7 years ago and have reinstalled it numerous times hassle-free when reformatting and upgrading, so it really is money well spent.