Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 22:39 

Finally got my Eyefinity system up and running :cool: Here is my thread with pic's;
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1459191

But right now they are on the $10,000 gallons of paint stands :p joking of course. I like my displays raised off the desk so middle of screens are at eye level. But the paint cans have to go soon. I know there are a ton of monitor stands with arms for three displays, but most say they are maxed out by 22" monitors, there does not seem be many that officially allow to hold 3 - 24" monitors ? Any links or ideas please

This review looks nice, have to dig deeper if 3 -24" can be supported on it ?
http://www.publicspace.net/blog/default/2006/11/30/ergotron-lx-triple-display-lift-stand-review/

This looks to be the best stand, but not 100% sure 3 - 24" monitors can work on this ? It says up to 3 - 21" or 2 - 24" ?
http://www.ergotron.com/Products/tabid/65/PRDID/128/language/en-US/default.aspx

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2009, 23:28 

i could be wrong but i think when it says hold 22" monitors its referring to the monitors width.. check the width of you monitor NOT the screen size.. and the width will be shorter probably between 21-22 inches

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 00:09 

Have a look at the DS-100 from ergotron, they seem to indicate that if you get the triple monitor version with 55" crossbar you can fit three monitors up to 622mm wide with the long crossbar. With the Dell 24" monitors I checked width vary from 560mm to 585mm depending on bezels so you should be fine. Be aware that the monitor widths in the diagrams are for a specific depth of monitor (front to back) if yours are deeper then the width drops, if they are slimmer then the width increases.

I've got triple 22" monitors so have the triple stand with the narrow 46" crossbar but you can angle the two outer monitors inwards and tuck them behind the central monitor to hide one of the bezels. This mean you gain the width of the bezel for mounting purposes effectively allowing a slightly wider monitor to fit than the manufactures spec. As always YMMV.

Otherwise you may be into custom building some form of mount.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 05:18 
Editors
Editors

DS100 is the only one I can find, but it was not worth the $300+ to me, I actually like how my setup looks with the claw stands on the 2408 & 2407 monitors and its nice to be a able to move those monitors back or forward if I ever wanted too rather than have them fixed on a mount.

Plus the DS100 is ugly to me :D

If you find a good all in one DS100 deal for the stand, bar and brackets though let me know. Cheapest I have seen is about $330 for the main stand and I think it doesn't include the 2 side brackets.

BTW Darthdingo I am envious of your setup! I have a 2408WFP as my center monitor and I see how all 3 of your monitors perfectly match up, on the cheap I had to get 2 2407's for my side monitors and my colors do not match so I wish I had spent the $300 more for new 2408's instead.

So now I may end up selling the 2x 2407's and getting two more 2408's or I am strongly debating selling all 3 and getting the U2410's as I hear they are even nicer than the 2408's and they currently have the same price.

Mind telling me how much each 2408 costed you? I wish I could find a good deal like you did.

Edit: nvm found it on your post $950 for all 3! Man what a steal. I got mine direct from dell it was $550.00 with $100 off so $450 then I used the 15% cashback to cut off like $63.00 so it was about $400 for just one of them and I thought that was a good deal since I stacked 2 discounts.

Think you can score 2 more 2408's for that same price and let me buy them off you? I'll sell the 2407's and do that :D

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 16:29 

Here is another Ergotech mount that should work.

http://www.ergotechgroup.com/products/heavy-duty-17-30-36/triple-lcd-desk-stand-62#

I have one on order ($280 shipped), should be here any day. I called Ergotech and talked to a tech guy, and he said it'll take my 3x 24" widescreen monitors easy.

This one looks better than the other mounts because the 2nd & 3rd monitor arms pivot, so you can adjust the FOV a little. I plan on doing a mini-review kinda like the other Ergotech one that was posted.

~Matt

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 18:22 

Here is another Ergotech mount that should work.

http://www.ergotechgroup.com/products/heavy-duty-17-30-36/triple-lcd-desk-stand-62#

I have one on order ($280 shipped), should be here any day. I called Ergotech and talked to a tech guy, and he said it'll take my 3x 24" widescreen monitors easy.

This one looks better than the other mounts because the 2nd & 3rd monitor arms pivot, so you can adjust the FOV a little. I plan on doing a mini-review kinda like the other Ergotech one that was posted.

~Matt

Ok, I look forward to your review :) What size Eyefinity setup you running ? 3 - 24" of which model ?

Actually after reading about the spec's it looks like a fine stand, something I would like. Where exactly did you buy it, and what is the lead time ? Thanks

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 18:22 
Editors
Editors

Yeah they pivot but your still stuck with the curved orientation of the bar so your monitors have to

A: be turned inward a lot to get the bezels to overlap some or
B: meet end to end

In having the monitors stand on there own you can move the monitors on the outside back some and give them a slight tilt to eliminate a lot of the bezel size and not effect the visibility or orientation of the screen at all.

This is the main reason (besides cost) I do not think I will get stand.

It may fit just perfect but its just one of those things that I wouldn't know without trying it or seeing it in person. I'll try to get some good pictures of my monitor orientation sometime and then when you do your review you can see if you can match a similar setup.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 20:10 

I have been reading the excellent information on this forum with regards to the Eyefinity (which I was just now informed by the place I purchased it from that it is backordered).

After viewing your discussion on a triple monitor stand I thought I would post a few pictures of the stand that I made a few days ago.

It is not easily adjustable but I designed it to fit what I needed. Although the middle monitor is sitting on its stock stand I have not mounted it as I have another 22" acer on its way from NewEgg.

Mine is height adjustable (requires removal of the monitors) and each monitor is mounted on a ball bearing mount for 360 degree rotation. The mounts 'hang' on the stand so they easily slide sideways. I can remove all three monitors in seconds (if I have a handy place to lay them down). The wood is cherry with a clear coat of laquer. This was intended to be a prototype but it is working so well I may just keep it for use.

My suggestion is this; make your own..or if you cannot, contact a local woodworker (many hobbists would love a project if you are buying the materials) and have one made to your specs. I own a small custom cabinet shop so I have access to a ton of scrap wood in different species.

This is my first attempt at wide screen gaming. I am using SoftTH with a GTX285 and a 9600GSO.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 20:24 

Darth-
I am running a Dell U2410 for my center screen, flanked by 2 Acer P241W's. I have sen a bunch of people slam the Acer screens, but I have to say that for $230 shipped, they are tough to beat, even side by side with my $500 Dell.

I got it from Amazon. After looking this up again, I see the price went back up. Either way, look up the part number, and you may find it cheap somewhere again. Lead time sounds like about a week.
http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Triple-Horizontal-Monitor-100-D16-B03/dp/B001NPEC5A

Vicious-
You mean on a curved solid bar? That has a pivot, too. That's why I jumped on this one. Check the extra images. That makes 2 pivots, and the distance slider. You should be able to move them to just about any spot you want. Look at the pics, unless I mis-understood what you meant. Either way, I will definitely get some pics for everyone.

Prop-
That is pretty. Like the curved beam. Do some more fancy woodworking & stain, and it'll look really good!

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 20:50 

Darth-
I am running a Dell U2410 for my center screen, flanked by 2 Acer P241W's. I have sen a bunch of people slam the Acer screens, but I have to say that for $230 shipped, they are tough to beat, even side by side with my $500 Dell.

I got it from Amazon. After looking this up again, I see the price went back up. Either way, look up the part number, and you may find it cheap somewhere again.
http://www.amazon.com/Ergotech-Triple-Horizontal-Monitor-100-D16-B03/dp/B001NPEC5A

Vicious-
You mean on a curved solid bar? That has a pivot, too. That's why I jumped on this one. Check the extra images. That makes 2 pivots, and the distance slider. You should be able to move them to just about any spot you want. Look at the pics, unless I mis-understood what you meant. Either way, I will definitely get some pics for everyone.

Prop-
That is pretty. Like the curved beam. Do some more fancy woodworking & stain, and it'll look really good!

That's a stock item on Amazon ? I called Ergotech and they made it sound like it needs to be officially ordered then goes into production to be fabricated and ships out like 7-10 days later ?