Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:20 
Editors
Editors

Looks like bad news for me and the wife is gonna be pissed.

I had my setup running earlier today on my dual 4850's, I had to turn off crossfire but it worked to run all 4 of my monitors.

Newegg box came with my new HIS 5870 today!

It was bigger than I expected, had to remove my hdd cage, one of my hdd's and do some wire moving to fit it in there, it just barely clears some mobo stuff and my sound card.

Well I got it all hooked up and it booted no problem, only my two left monitors were on. But I figured I just needed to install the new drivers.

I had one 4850 for my HDTV and the 4870 connected to the 3x24" monitors (2 DVI, 1 DP)

I d/l and tried to install the drivers, about half way it said one of my gpu's had to be disabled because it is not compatible with the drivers, then the screen went black and never recovered.

I did a hard reboot and after bios and ms loading screen it went all black and never recovered. I waited and did a few reboots but never got in.

So took the 4850 out, and got into windows and then installed the drivers and they installed correctly.

Gave eyefinity a short trial and then powered down to install my 4850 back.

Booted up, got to login screen, all looked good then system crash and reboot, then back into black screen.

Looks like there s no way for me to use my 4850 in conjunction with the 5870 at least not with new drivers.

So now I took the 4850 back out and cant get into normal windows, I am in safe mode and the drivers wont install in safe mode, so may have to uninstall them and then go back into windows and do this all over again.

Really sucks :( So now my only hope is I can use the HDMI port and toggle it between one of the DVI connections for when we want to use the 37" screen for movies instead of one of the 24" monitors.

I get my HDTV mount tomorrow, so I guess that test happens then and I will post back.

Any word or info on if this is just a driver issue and it can be fixed or its a no hope situation would be very helpful.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:31 

Yep, hopefully it's just a driver compatibility issue - running a 5000 series together with a cheaper second card may be something I end up doing so I want them to play nicely as well.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2009, 23:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Did you clean the drivers before initially installing the 5870? My bet is you got the computer confused. I see no reason why there should be any issue mixing cards as long as both cards are supported by the driver release. My guess it's the beta nature of all of this new stuff.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 04:30 
Editors
Editors

Did you clean the drivers before initially installing the 5870? My bet is you got the computer confused. I see no reason why there should be any issue mixing cards as long as both cards are supported by the driver release. My guess it's the beta nature of all of this new stuff.

Thats just it the new 5870 drivers are beta and only support the 5000 series, if I go install the 9.9 cats it will probably work with both cards as the older cat 8 I had installed did, however I would be losing what ever function the 5000 series gives me. My guess is eyefinity is one of those things.

Im good as long as I can toggle the 4th monitor as I only want to use my 3x24" for computer stuff, then toggle over to the 37" for movies and stuff. I do not need all 4 going at once.

Infact I would rather the 5870 be able to do this as that means I can run just 1 card instead of two saving me power/heat, and letting my mobo run that slot at 16x. Also I can sell the 4850.

I fooled around with it for about another 30 minutes ealier and never got back into normal windows.

In safe mode if I try to install or uninstall the drivers it says the identification driver failed to initilize so it wont work, no matter how many times I try to go into normal windows I just get a black screen. I had this issue before when I did a bios mod on my old 4850's causing a driver problem.

I'll probably have to use driver cleaner or similar in safe mode to manually remove the drivers, but every time I did that it caused a really annoying issue where when I go to install the new drivers it says the .inf file can not be found.

I was just going to do a system restore but for what ever reason when I clicked on my computer to go into the restore options the computer just froze up on me.

I had to give up for the day and get a couple of hours of sleep before coming to work.

Now I am at work I'll just have to sit tight and work on it more later.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 04:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Have you tried downloading 9.10 from someplace like Guru3D? I bet their inf files are for more generic installs.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 05:27 

9.10 drivers can be found here, supposed to be newer than the betas and RC drivers:
http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33953249

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 05:46 
Editors
Editors

9.10 drivers can be found here, supposed to be newer than the betas and RC drivers:
http://www.rage3d.com/BOARD/showthread.php?t=33953249

Cool I will try them when I find a way to get back into windows to install them :D

The ATI download page has RC6 for there latest, that is what I installed, it says supported gpu "5870, 5850" but usually they retain backwards compatibility, lets home there is not some strange hardware difference in the new cards that prevents them from working along side an older card.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 06:01 

XP, Vista or Win7?... no chance on Linux/Unix?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 06:09 
Editors
Editors

Im using Vista Ult x64, I'll upgrade to Win 7 Home x64 soon as it comes out. I preordered it from Newegg.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2009, 06:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Im using Vista Ult x64, I'll upgrade to Win 7 Home x64 soon as it comes out. I preordered it from Newegg.

If you are a student or have one in your family with an .edu email Microsoft is selling Win 7 Pro for $30 deal right now. There are a lot of news articles on it.

http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpus/en_US/