Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 23:41 
Insiders
Insiders

From this [H] thread: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034687075&postcount=187

Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:08 AM
To: Killebrew, Carrell
Cc: Brent Justice; Hook, Chris; Marsden, JayM
Subject: Mixing displays.

Carrell,

Let me ask you a question that I have already been asked more than once since last night. I am directing this at you since we specifically address this sort of configuration in your offices.

Here is a post that is on this topic.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=102

Folks are wanted to use a landscape 30" (2560x1600) in the middle with two portrait 20" displays (1200x1600) on either side for an Eyefinity display group of 3760x1600. We talked about this exactly. It seems it is not supported currently if I understand the literature.

To be clear: Is such and Eyefinty display group supported? If no, will it be in the future? If yes, ETA?

Kyle R Bennett

Good question. Your understanding of the literature is correct. A bit more elaboration…

Currently Eyefinity is constrained when in SLS modes. Please note that I say currently. Currently Eyefinity with a 5870 board supports one SLS. Any SLS grouping requires that the monitors be the same resolution. The intention is to support more than one SLS (before the end of the year), but I am not sure that solves the problem. I believe the problem this poster wants solved is a constellation of:

pLp

Where the “p”s are lower resolution than the L. Grouping the two “p”s and servicing them from an SLS isn’t an apparent solution (the two P’s are displaying non-contiguous information). I can envision how it might be done, but I don’t know if that is in our current plans or whether that might is a real possibility. If you aren’t doing the engineering, many times you aren’t aware of other limiting factors.

I will do this Kyle – I will ask this question point-blank to the guys who are actually doing the engineering. And I will give you the answer, good, bad, or indifferent. Is that OK?

Extended desktop (the non-SLS mode for Eyefinity) works the way it has always worked, but I don’t think that applies here.

I will keep an eye on the forum at [H] and post the answer from ATi once it goes up.. looks like they are not even working on it at the moment :(

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 00:42 
Insiders
Insiders

I think ATI needs to realize that this isn't just one guy asking for this. A bunch of people want it and many of them already physically have the setup build and running. Over at the EVGA forums alone I got asked this by 3 different forum members via PM.