Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyefinity FAQ
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 04:49 

[quote]1) PLEASE get Bezel managment working.. don't have to be that fancy "virtual higher resolution then crop image" method like I read about. I'm happy with the way Matrox did it. I don't see that being too hard to program compared to the original intended method.

Bezel management is the next priority feature to be addressed. I don't have a timeline for you, but was recently in a meeting with the software developers to give feedback o some of the stuff they had in the works and also the GUI for it.

[quote]Can Eyefinity allow that setup to work ? Portrait + Landscape + Portrait ? 20" + 30" + 20" displays.

No, that support isn't there. All panels in a "Display Group" must be the same orientation.

Eyefinity with amongst multiple cards (with AND without crossfire) is currently not supported. [Need a DaveB quote here]

You do need atleast one displayport enabled monitor, or a $100 DP->HDMI ACTIVE converter box. [Need a DaveB quote here]

I don't plan to spend too much time on this so if people could submit questions and answers below I will add them to the list.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 00:55 
Insiders
Insiders

A couple of things that need to be known:

Why 3 or more monitors require 1 active DP adaptor/DP monitors for every monitor beyond the first 2:

While there are Six TMDS/DP transmitters, there are only 2 clock sources on the ASIC. The issue with legacy display is that they all need their own clock generator - as soon as you plug in two DVI/VGA/HDMI you run out of clock sources. DP can time multiple outputs from a single clock generator.

What we do with these boards is add an additional clock source externally from the ASIC that is good for driving DP timing, but unfotunatly not others (the clock source is actually shared for another use, so we can't just arbitarily have any timing).

If you plug in a passive adapter to the DVI+DVI+HDMI+DP design then you it will use an internal clock source, up until you start plugging in other panels.

Including the 6 mini-DP port beast that is yet to be released.

What if someone wanted to drive 6 DVI/HDMI panels from the card, 6 active adaptors? Each with their own power supply???

As already posted, 2 can be passive in this scenario.

Also with no official quotes as yet:
1. CrossFire is not compatible with EF at the moment
2. Multiple cards independently running multiple screens also doesn't work
3. Mixed resolutions are not supported yet AFAIK.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 12:08 
Editors
Editors

Also with no official quotes as yet:
1. CrossFire is not compatible with EF at the moment
2. Multiple cards independently running multiple screens also doesn't work
3. Mixed resolutions are not supported yet AFAIK.

I want to know when these three will happen. Not too fussed about CrossFire personally, but I really want one-screen-per-card...

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 19:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Well CF is a when, screen-per-card has never been offered or talked about apart from the big 24 X-plane display which was just some odd tech demo AFAIK. So it maybe not even an IF for screen-per-card.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 20:05 
Editors
Editors

Well CF is a when, screen-per-card has never been offered or talked about apart from the big 24 X-plane display which was just some odd tech demo AFAIK. So it maybe not even an IF for screen-per-card.

Well, it was linux... and linux has always been more adaptable than Windows. ;)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 09:03 

I posted this question in another thread but it appears to have been buried in the sheer number of posts, so I figure I'll ask it here: does Eyefinity support overscan compensations for HDTVs - you know, the resolution within a resolution stuff?

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 09:23 

I posted this question in another thread but it appears to have been buried in the sheer number of posts, so I figure I'll ask it here: does Eyefinity support overscan compensations for HDTVs - you know, the resolution within a resolution stuff?

How about getting a HDTV with 1:1 option instead (most 1080p TVs should have it)

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2009, 18:01 

[quote]I posted this question in another thread but it appears to have been buried in the sheer number of posts, so I figure I'll ask it here: does Eyefinity support overscan compensations for HDTVs - you know, the resolution within a resolution stuff?

How about getting a HDTV with 1:1 option instead (most 1080p TVs should have it)

I should clarify that this is a theoretical question since I don't actually have the cash to do such a setup, but my reasoning is fairly simply: as far as I am aware, overscan is present on all DLP read projection sets. And DLP sets are available with much thinner bezels than LCDs and tend to burn through much less power for the same screen size.

Granted, anyone thinking of doing it would have to consider things like viewing angle too, but I'm curious whether such a setup would work.