Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 14:47 

sorry if this has been mentioned but there is about 50 pages of posts to go through and i've gone through about 20 without any luck so here is the question.

any confirmed pricing?

is the confirmed release date 22nd sept? in 7 days?

thank you

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 14:50 
Editors
Editors

No pricing confirmation, AFAIK. 'Around' $300-400, dependent on who you talk to on a forum, I think, for a 5870. If it's around $300, then we're all laughing again at fast, powerful cards and nVidia has to worry about the costs of GT300 like they did the costs of GT200.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 14:59 

i mean it's what 7 days from release and no confirmed pricing from ati kinda sux >_<

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 15:09 
Editors
Editors

Fairly standard now.

ATi don't want competitors to know how much they're gonna charge, until it's already a fait accompli. Since the HD2900 debacle, ATi have learned to play cards close until the last possible second. While it means a lot of FUD going around and no serious hype generation, it can mean a completely unexpected knockout blow if competing products have misjudged how they're targeting the market.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 15:54 

Fairly standard now.

ATi don't want competitors to know how much they're gonna charge, until it's already a fait accompli. Since the HD2900 debacle, ATi have learned to play cards close until the last possible second. While it means a lot of FUD going around and no serious hype generation, it can mean a completely unexpected knockout blow if competing products have misjudged how they're targeting the market.

yes and also the fact that AMD took the direction probably contributes to that fact too

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 22:16 
Insiders
Insiders

Also, people need to have patience or they're going to incur the "early adopter's tax". Supply and demand means initial price gouging on new products regardless of brand. Let the dust settle, let the in-store stock stabilize and buy it at a reasonable price a few weeks after the real launch occurs. You'll also have the luxury of knowing all of the "early adopters" issues and solutions without having to experience them first hand.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 00:02 

Also, people need to have patience or they're going to incur the "early adopter's tax". Supply and demand means initial price gouging on new products regardless of brand. Let the dust settle, let the in-store stock stabilize and buy it at a reasonable price a few weeks after the real launch occurs. You'll also have the luxury of knowing all of the "early adopters" issues and solutions without having to experience them first hand.

Thats what I'm gonna do. but I have a "deal alert" for "ati 5870" on slickdeals so if any deal comes out for it I will get an email alery and probably order.

If paying slightly higher price (within reasonable range) means I can be the first one to get it it's not that bad.

I see it this way... I COULD wait say a month after it's release to get it cheaper

BUT. I can also get it at launch and play slightly higher price. I see it as "0 day delivery". And I will be enjoying 1920x1200x3 at triple 24" for a month while the rest of you guys drool over it :P

What is the price of such pleasure worth? It sucks seeing something cool come and having to wait.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2009, 12:45 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]Also, people need to have patience or they're going to incur the "early adopter's tax". Supply and demand means initial price gouging on new products regardless of brand. Let the dust settle, let the in-store stock stabilize and buy it at a reasonable price a few weeks after the real launch occurs. You'll also have the luxury of knowing all of the "early adopters" issues and solutions without having to experience them first hand.

Thats what I'm gonna do. but I have a "deal alert" for "ati 5870" on slickdeals so if any deal comes out for it I will get an email alery and probably order.

If paying slightly higher price (within reasonable range) means I can be the first one to get it it's not that bad.

I see it this way... I COULD wait say a month after it's release to get it cheaper

BUT. I can also get it at launch and play slightly higher price. I see it as "0 day delivery". And I will be enjoying 1920x1200x3 at triple 24" for a month while the rest of you guys drool over it :P

What is the price of such pleasure worth? It sucks seeing something cool come and having to wait.

True enough. In my case it's more about setting up a price alert for short-throw projector deals though. My exponentially largest cost will be the projectors for my new simpit setup. I'd rather get them at $599 than $899. It gives me time to ebay off a bunch of "crap" I've been accumulating for awhile now to help offset it some though. If I can recoup about $150-$250 per Matrox GXM box I have sitting around, it'll go a long way towards making those projectors affordable. I'm also going to ebay off my G92 based folding@home farm.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 22:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Possible Euro pricing:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=20276

approx 285 pounds

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 00:22 

no small amount, though about what was expected or only slightly higher.