Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 5870 benchmarks
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 00:17 

techpowerup has an article with some numbers:

http://www.techpowerup.com/103786/First_Radeon_HD_5870_Performance_Figures_Surface.html

2 screens from chiphell

those are from amd and against a gtx285, the other two pics are from Czech Gamer, anyway check them out, pretty interesting. im taking amd's slides with a grain of salt.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 02:23 

to anyone not careful enough :
beware that bottom value is not 0
red bars seem to be awesomely tall because the bottom was cut out ...

edit: hum an average of +50% of a GTX285
well it's nice but not so awesome, performance speaking ...

it is nice because finally ATI gets a gfx card that outdo Nvidia on the pure performance side

it is not so awesome because a marketed average of +50% means probably a bit less in real testing conditions

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 04:55 
I Donated
I Donated

Lol! At first glance I didn't notice the graph starts at 80% and was about to crap my pants. Still, not so shabby.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 04:56 

Hi

I think 50% is a pretty nice boost over a GTX 285. And this being the first offering, I can only imagine that will get better in a few months.
I remember when people jumped for joy over a 15-20% increase.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 05:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Beware of anything slickly presented from any side of the fence. By the time things look like that, they're been filtered several times through the PR grinder and tailored for maximum impact.

I don't trust press release graphs from ATI, nVidia nor Intel.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 11:08 
Editors
Editors

No, leaked press slides are never trustworthy, no matter who they come from.

That said, notice where most of the serious gains over a GTX285 are? In the runs with insane levels of AA/AF... seems like ATi's architecture still deals with AA very well indeed.

If, of course, it's true. Although, oddly, I kinda hoped for better. Still, if these are results from the single card, I see why it can drive six high-res monitors now.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 13:33 
Insiders
Insiders

No, leaked press slides are never trustworthy, no matter who they come from.

That said, notice where most of the serious gains over a GTX285 are? In the runs with insane levels of AA/AF... seems like ATi's architecture still deals with AA very well indeed.

If, of course, it's true. Although, oddly, I kinda hoped for better. Still, if these are results from the single card, I see why it can drive six high-res monitors now.

This is just the first round of EyeFinity though,. Imagine what it'll be like once it matures in 2 or 3 years? And for that matter whatever nVidia comes up to counter with. I have little doubt in my mind that nVidia will try and play in the surround-screen gaming market more now that ATI has thrown the first stone. It just means better options for all of us, so it's a win-win situation.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 14:48 
Editors
Editors

This is just the first round of EyeFinity though,. Imagine what it'll be like once it matures in 2 or 3 years? And for that matter whatever nVidia comes up to counter with. I have little doubt in my mind that nVidia will try and play in the surround-screen gaming market more now that ATI has thrown the first stone. It just means better options for all of us, so it's a win-win situation.

Yeah, totally agree.

To be honest, for those people who already have TripleHead and have it working and happy with 3x1680x1050 or whatever, EyeFinity probably isn't worth the jump... unless you want 3x1920x1200 or higher. For those who want to run 'exotic' display setups, EyeFinity looks to be a boon.

I'd be interested to see what response nVidia comes out with, but I doubt it'll be with this generation of cards now... we'll probably need to wait until at least a year after the release of GT300, or whatever they finally decide to call it. nVidia can't afford to let ATi dominate a field of the market completely - they need to have some presence... it was one reason why I couldn't understand ATi's attitude toward TripleHead support. They automatically lost the TH market to nVidia because they couldn't do higher res TH setups.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 16:49 

nVidia can't afford to let ATi dominate a field of the market completely - they need to have some presence... it was one reason why I couldn't understand ATi's attitude toward TripleHead support. They automatically lost the TH market to nVidia because they couldn't do higher res TH setups.

for their image yes
but it's not where the big bucks come from
since, let's face it, MultiMonitor Gaming while pure awesomeness is even more "elite" than highest end GFX card

and we all know high end gfx card are not selling as much as medium and low end ..

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2009, 16:55 
Editors
Editors

for their image yes
but it's not where the big bucks come from
since, let's face it, MultiMonitor Gaming while pure awesomeness is even more "elite" than highest end GFX card

and we all know high end gfx card are not selling as much as medium and low end ..

True.

However:

Many buyers will base their purchases on who they are told is the best. If ATi or nVidia have the best top-end card, their overall sales rate goes up across the board. It's only enthusiasts who look at the cards in question. Seriously, this phenomenon is well documented: if you have the best top-end, sales at all points in the spectrum increase.

Furthermore:

Notice how TFT's went up in size fairly quickly? 1280x800 to 1680x1050 to 1920x1200 to 2560x1600... but then topped out. The cost of displays with higher resolutions thatn 1920x1200 is prohibitively expensive as the greater number of pixels, the higher the chances of getting multiple failed transistors in the matrix... (dead or stuck pixels)... so I'm thinking that in the quest for ever more resolution, the short term fix is going to be fairly-cheap-multi-screen.