Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 12:26 

Just wish they'd stop wasting designs on the x2 models.

They arent wasting designs on them, the X2 card is cheaper to design than a fully fledged high end GPU, and its also cheaper to produce which means higher profits and lower consumer cost. As proven with the 4870X2 you get a hell of a lot of performance and price definately dropped off fast for the full 4000 range.

Personally, I love my 4870X2, been the perfect little card. Only time ive ever heard my card is when I turned my CPU cooler down and I was playing crysis. /shrug, ive been happy!

Old school 4850 coolers were appauling though.. they would whizz up bad.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2009, 13:02 

They arent wasting designs on them, the X2 card is cheaper to design than a fully fledged high end GPU, and its also cheaper to produce which means higher profits and lower consumer cost. As proven with the 4870X2 you get a hell of a lot of performance and price definately dropped off fast for the full 4000 range.

Yeah, but multigpu designs have their share of new problems, like microstuttering, lack of proper support in some games, and lower fps stability (lower minimum fps). At same price I´d prefer a monolitic gpu than a multigpu one (also, as I use both th2go and softth, I can only take advantage from monogpu cards for now).

Multigpu cards are cheap in both senses: price, but also in quality (and quality of frames per second -not the quality of the images per self-). Is a lot more difficult to develop a much powerful monogpu card than a multi one.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2009, 00:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah I prefer the one monolithic card (though then I tend to get 2 of them!), the 8800GTX was such a cool card, the leap from previous was enormous, as was the GPU- I hope the next gen does the same leap, so I can play Crysis at Ultra at 3x1920x1200 :)

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2009, 08:17 

I'm glad I skipped the 4xxx generation cards and stuck w/my good 'ol 3870x2. I was planning on going w/the 5k series anyways, so this would be an added bonus if it turns out to be true.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 05:23 

I'm glad I skipped the 4xxx generation cards and stuck w/my good 'ol 3870x2. I was planning on going w/the 5k series anyways, so this would be an added bonus if it turns out to be true.

I am glad I waited on buying a TH2GO now. ATI might just be earning my business back with this new little gem. This card sounds to fit my needs perfectly and let me use my 24 inch I already have. iRacing will totally sweet on the display setup this can provide. I can't wait to hear more about about this card series.

- Jay

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 04:32 
Founder
Founder

I have just written to ATI to see if I can get sample cards to test and review for the launch. If the support is real and robust, I would upgrade to 1920x1200 24" panels. I'd probably wait on 3x30" as that would be quite expensive and I don't think the new cards would handle 12MP (considering the fps were getting at 5MP now).

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 06:00 
Insiders
Insiders

I have just written to ATI to see if I can get sample cards to test and review for the launch. If the support is real and robust, I would upgrade to 1920x1200 24" panels. I'd probably wait on 3x30" as that would be quite expensive and I don't think the new cards would handle 12MP (considering the fps were getting at 5MP now).

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results (and if nVidia can play catchup).

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 07:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Keep us informed, that would be awesome :)

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 12:37 

I think if EyeFinity works well with multigpu and multimonitor, definitely 12mp will be playable in most games. Maybe not with a lot of AA (30" are better at this respect, with their lower pixel size, so it´s not so neccesary), but a few games just now are playable with a single 285gtx at 3x30", so think about a CF of 2x 5970x2 will do. Surely not crysis, but most console ports plus some PC native games almost surely will be playable (It it works at expected).

And I would wait for a nvidia response, because It´s more a driver thing rather than hardware.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2009, 14:25 

LOL
Go figure.
I said that once I buy a TH2Go unit, it won't be long before Matrox (or ATI/Nvidia) come out with either a new unit that supports higher res, or gfx cards will come out with support via the card its self.

One of these days I must trace my heritage. I must have Bundy blood in there somewhere, seeing how I have the Bundy curse.

It's great to see this coming. I too am hoping this will allow 3x1920x1200.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next