Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:08 
Insiders
Insiders

What i mean is... wouldnt a single monitor that is 5760x1200 be far more practical than 3x 1920x1200 screens? Forget how complicated, expensive and impractical one giant screen would be. I think that the idea of running multiple monitors on the same thing is just silly, its never anything i would want to do.

You're asking people to forget the core reasons for multi-display. The core reason is to take multiple inexpensive displays and out-pixel-count and out-aspect-ratio something significantly more expensive and make it work right in games.

If you aren't looking to achieve those goals, of course it wouldn't make sense to you. :wink:

New proof-of-concept displays shown at trade shows are all high-dollar gimmicks that are not targeted at the core surround-gamer audience. You show me a 3 panel seamless curved display that can price and resolution match 3 bargain basement 22" displays and and I'll prove Santa really is real. Those demo display setups cost $6000, not $600. My eyes can afford to be offended by bezels. It's the price to pay for an affordable setup. :lol:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:27 

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/44795.aspx

´At the time of launch, Eyefinity will support single-GPU configurations for gaming, but we're told CrossFire support will be coming at some point in the future as well. The technology will require that at least one of the displays be equipped with a DisplayPort connection.´

Not clear if displayport thing is for CF support or a main requisite for Eyefinity. What do you think?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:33 
Editors
Editors

Not clear if displayport thing is for CF support or a main requisite for Eyefinity. What do you think?

Yes, i posted about this before, i think its related to eyefinity, at least according to the ATI official page (note 1, bottom of the page) :

"Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector. "

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspx

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:10 

I wonder when the x2 cross fire in a single card version will come out. and the cost

I'm intersted in the 3 port one since I don't see any need for anything over 3 monitor and all I do on that computer play games

I already got my th2g digital on ebay and will put my 9800gx2 video card on ebay later this week.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:34 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

Yes, i posted about this before, i think its related to eyefinity, at least according to the ATI official page (note 1, bottom of the page) :

"Driver version 8.66 (Catalyst 9.10) or above is required to support ATI Eyefinity technology and to enable a third display you require one panel with a DisplayPort connector. "

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity.aspxI really hope they mean one panel that you can plug a DP connector into, even if it is via a DVI to DP adaptor. I cannot get another 24 display so if it is 1 DP required, I am stuck with TH2Go

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:36 
Editors
Editors

I really hope they mean one panel that you can plug a DP connector into, even if it is via a DVI to DP adaptor. I cannot get another 24 display so if it is 1 DP required, I am stuck with TH2Go

Yes, i checked again the report by GeneralAdmission, the fifth screenshot shows some HDMI adpters being used in a triple setup :

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11090t=0

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:39 
Insiders
Insiders

http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/44795.aspx

´At the time of launch, Eyefinity will support single-GPU configurations for gaming, but we're told CrossFire support will be coming at some point in the future as well. The technology will require that at least one of the displays be equipped with a DisplayPort connection.´

What that means to me is 1 GPU, 1 card with as many ports out as the card has. No spanning multi-GPU, no Crossfire and no multi-card EyeFinity use. Sure, they plan to probably change that sometime in the future, but when?

That means if you want to do this, make sure you get the best single core GPU they make with enough ports out on that card to do what you need.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:55 

[quote]http://hothardware.com/cs/forums/t/44795.aspx

What that means to me is 1 GPU, 1 card with as many ports out as the card has. No spanning multi-GPU, no Crossfire and no multi-card EyeFinity use. Sure, they plan to probably change that sometime in the future, but when?

That means if you want to do this, make sure you get the best single core GPU they make.

I hope one of those single GPU 5870 cards can match the power of my single 9800gx2

that will make me happy.

right now I have:
- Th2g Digital
- Nvidia 9800gx2
- ATI FireMV 2400 pcie x1
to drive my triple display gaming setup.

If the new ATI card can get me 3x 1920x1200 running and still support windows seeing 3x independant monitors then I could just sell my listed items and break even and maybe have extra $ left over after getting the new ATI card

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:57 
Editors
Editors

I hope one of those single GPU 5870 cards can match the power of my single 9800gx2

lol there is not much to get worried about here :wink:

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 03:00 
Editors
Editors

That means if you want to do this, make sure you get the best single core GPU they make with enough ports out on that card to do what you need.

I'm expecting the Eyefinity GPUs to have great performance in the enthusiast-to-ultra hardcore offerings (an ATI guy last night hinted that there would be 5 product levels). Have you looked at the videos I just posted in the other thread? Stalker: Call of Pripyat looks great running on one Eyefinity gpu @ 3x1920x1080. Grid and Dirt 2 were also running very smooth.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next