Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 14:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 11:29 
Editors
Editors

I think 3x24" horiz span is better than 5x24" in portrait mode, because you have a central widescreen monitor in horiz mode, for me better than a portrait one

Yep, same here, and 5 monitors = too many bezels :)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 12:57 

anyone thinking of 6 monitors for gaming is a nut. Whaayyy to much bezel it would be soo annoying.
I don't believe that the ability or wish to afford and implement a 6-screen solution qualifies one as being a large, dry, oily seed.

I'm already in the process of figuring out what I need to do to use 5x 24" portrait rotated 6000x1920. I'll be doing that as soon as I confirm it's possible.
My thoughts exactly. Though, I may have to consider 5x1050x1680 or 5x1080x1920 (as the missus' setup would have to be updated as well). Also running on 965 with 1x16 and 1x8 PCIE1.0, so would have to build new machines, too.

i would say kudos to ATI for taking the initiative and going 1 better, but it seems like it is a "gimmick", i personally just want 1 screen with insane FPS (read that as 60 because of the LCD limitations Razz). the number of people with space for 3 is low (but we have a few people with them here), and people that would then have 6 screens?
I'm sorry, but I can't see the gimmick myself:
[list]
- they're catering to an existing market
- they're removing an intemediary device
- they're improving on a proven concept
[list] - increased resolution
- plug'n'play
[list] - as in, plug in monitors and play
- NOT plug in USB cable/plug in breakout to card/plug in monitors to card/update firmware/troubleshoot/swear and curse/re-install everything/play[/list:u] - option for 3x1, 2x2, 5x1, 3x2, 6x1
- driver-level implementation
- grouping
- disparate resolutions even as SLS (?)[/list:u][/list:u]

All those ati demos, were they done with or without AA?

if it's without or even just 2x, it's not really that impressive.
*cough*

[quote] I think 3x24" horiz span is better than 5x24" in portrait mode, because you have a central widescreen monitor in horiz mode, for me better than a portrait one

Yep, same here, and 5 monitors = too many bezels :)I'm liking the idea of 5x##. In portrait, the horizontal physical dimension will still be greater than half the vertical physical dimension; depending on what options they offer you may be able to garner a more pleasing FoV by being able to physically maneuver the screens; and how many people here at first took notice of the bezels in their 3x## setups regardless of orientation? My guess is that most of us completely forgot about it within a fortnight and were more concerned about what was hiding around the next corner.

Not considering selling my TH2Go. It must be providence, that I found three screens at work which run natively@1280x1024 and hooked up the unit there BEFORE I found this thread. And I honestly don't think you'd get much for them.

*rubs hands in glee*

Can't wait. Just need to ensure that kidney buyer hasn't fallen through...

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 14:54 

oh please, Ati, get the mixed resolutions thingy to work.

dreaming of

|4:3_|16:10|_4:3| --- 5120*1200 total resolution
|1600|1920|1600|
|1200|1200|1200|

imho the optimal solution in terms of
+widescreen in the middle
+deskspace saving
+inexpensive (the pesky 4:3's havent dropped in price like the widescreens yet :( )
-probably hard to find matching widescreen and 4:3 with same pixelsize and density

and if you need more vertical space

|3:4_|16:10|_3:4| --- 4960*1600 total resolution
|1200|2560|1200|
|1600|1600|1600|

also would be cool, with the 4:3 lcds sideways as 3:4

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 15:58 

and how many people here at first took notice of the bezels in their 3x## setups regardless of orientation?

When you focus on the center monitor usually you don´t notice the outer monitors, but when your center monitor is not so wide and you have many more bezels (100% more, from 2 to 4), is very possible (at least for me), the outer bezels wont pass unnoticed. I tested and played in my rig both horiz and vert configurations (with softth) and I only would use portrait mode would be when there are not alternatives (FOV related), like with Mass Effect or SF4.

I don´t say 5x1 is useless. Yo have advantages for using it. You have more screen space and more desktop workspace, but if you think that bezels are a drawback for multimonitor, 5x1 portrait is not precisely the best case scenary, and I think 3x1 horz span is more inmersive than 5x1 portrait. With 3x1 you have half bezels than 5x1.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 16:01 

This card will cost some serious cash I am sure to be able to handle such high resolutions.

Any way again 6 monitors EWWWW that just looks so wrong in every possible way.

Playing MMO with that shit or FPS games ouch characters bottom cut upper body cut no thx.

Again 1,3,5 or 9 monitors if you want to have 1 full clear monitor for the center position.

I still wanna see a 5x setup run on the new ATI card.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 17:28 

This card will cost some serious cash I am sure to be able to handle such high resolutions.

$450 msrp in the charts I've seen

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 18:14 
Editors
Editors

oh please, Ati, get the mixed resolutions thingy to work.

According to what I was told at the launch event last night this is a Windows limitation (no asymmetric display combinations). I wouldn't hold your breath expecting ATI to fix this.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 18:28 

[quote]oh please, Ati, get the mixed resolutions thingy to work.

According to what I was told at the launch event last night this is a Windows limitation (no asymmetric display combinations). I wouldn't hold your breath expecting ATI to fix this.
me neither though they could probably try to use the bezel management to handle disparity

that is the gfx card would calculate the next rectangular resolution which "holds" all screens

so for example for 1920x1200 + 2x1600x1200
the gfx card would calculate as for 3x1920x1200 then discard what's not needed ...

would create quite a bit of overhead though :?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 18:45 
Insiders
Insiders

i would say kudos to ATI for taking the initiative and going 1 better, but it seems like it is a "gimmick", i personally just want 1 screen with insane FPS (read that as 60 because of the LCD limitations Razz). the number of people with space for 3 is low (but we have a few people with them here), and people that would then have 6 screens?
I'm sorry, but I can't see the gimmick myself:
[list]
- they're catering to an existing market
- they're removing an intemediary device
- they're improving on a proven concept
[list] - increased resolution
- plug'n'play
[list] - as in, plug in monitors and play
- NOT plug in USB cable/plug in breakout to card/plug in monitors to card/update firmware/troubleshoot/swear and curse/re-install everything/play[/list:u] - option for 3x1, 2x2, 5x1, 3x2, 6x1
- driver-level implementation
- grouping
- disparate resolutions even as SLS (?)[/list:u][/list:u]

I see the whole concept of spanning high resolution games, images whatever it is as a gimmick due to the bezels of the screen. Not ATi's technology. I agree that ATi have taken what the TH2Go has done and done it a lot better. I agree with every point you made.

What i mean is... wouldnt a single monitor that is 5760x1200 be far more practical than 3x 1920x1200 screens? Forget how complicated, expensive and impractical one giant screen would be. I think that the idea of running multiple monitors on the same thing is just silly, its never anything i would want to do.

I love the fact that it is possible, and i admire those who like playing immersivly with 3 screens. Its just not for me, i would rather have 1 screen that is big enough for my needs. Im always used to playing FPS games at a level where i enjoy them, you cant cart around 3x22" screens to LAN's very often, let alone the fact that before this ATi thing you pretty much needed SLI of high end cards, with silly amounts of processing power. All this needs cooling and feeding electricity. Im sure there will be one or 2 people that you see on forums like this with 24 monitors, dual 5800X2's and the like, but its not anything you can remove from the house easily.

Sorry for a bit of an off topic post, just to clarify what I meant :)

DC3217IYE | 1x4GB Vengeance | 64GB M4 | TX-42VT20E

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 20:09 

What i mean is... wouldnt a single monitor that is 5760x1200 be far more practical than 3x 1920x1200 screens?

Yes. If you can get one that is not outrageously expensive (alienware & nec monitors), then I´ll buy one. But it´s not the case. While, the only way to an inmersive experience is to get extra monitors.

And, for work, it´s more practical many monitors, so you can configure it many ways. 2x2, 3x1 and another in portrait, etc...

I love the fact that it is possible, and i admire those who like playing immersivly with 3 screens. Its just not for me, i would rather have 1 screen that is big enough for my needs

The point with spanning many monitors is to have extra aspect ratio, to get your peripheral visión ´filled´ with peripheral extra real state screen. For movies, a single big screen is way better, but not for games (in general).

You don´t notice the bezels when you´re are playing. If you stop and get farther from the screen, then they become evident, but not when playing at the right distance from them.

you cant cart around 3x22" screens to LAN's very often

It´s way more easier to get around 3x22" than a 50" one to play in a lan, if you compare to a big screen.

let alone the fact that before this ATi thing you pretty much needed SLI of high end cards, with silly amounts of processing power

It´s not so rare (in 3d hardware forums, of course not in outer world) people with configurations like 2x 295gtx or similar for a single 22" 1680x1080 monitor or a 24" one. At least, with 3x22" or similar you can give to your graphic cards some real work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next