Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 13:11 
Insiders
Insiders

Just place x264.exe somewhere in your PATH environment setting and then you can type x264 from any directory. If it's not in your PATH, then yes, you do have to specify the path to it on the command line.

What CPU and operating system do you have? I make regular builds of x264 for myself and I could send one your way.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 14:03 
Editors
Editors

I am using Vista Ultimate x64 with a Intel Q6600

I also found the generated script for a encode I am doing right now. I can see how it pointed to the .exe.

Code:
"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktopStaxRip_1.1.1.0SettingsApplicationsx264x264.exe" --crf 22 --ref 6 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --weightb --direct auto --subme 9 --trellis 2 --psy-rd 1:0.1 --partitions p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --me umh --threads auto --progress --no-dct-decimate --no-psnr --no-ssim --output "C:FrapsMoviesCrysis 2009-01-25 05-49-25-33 temp filesCrysis Gameplay_EncoderOutput.264" "C:FrapsMoviesCrysis 2009-01-25 05-49-25-33 temp filesCrysis Gameplay.avs"

My only beef with StaxRip right now is that it "forces" you to use a resolution that is divisible by 16. So on my 1920x1080 content it forces me to crop it to 1920x1072, but I found a way to trick it I think by editing the .avs filter code :P I'll see when this encode is done.

Just how big a deal is it to use a XXX/16 resolution?

Also there must be one or two things in this code that is slowing things down, its taking 2 hours+ to do this 10 minute clip with all 4 cores going at 3.6ghz.... Man if I ever wanted a i7 its now because of encoding.

Again thanks, right now I am using the newest x264 build off of here: http://x264.nl/

1088, but if you have something you can send my way I will try it out.

Making your own, I cant even get a solid place to start, all I find are these gnu code pages with strange archives. Nothing like a tutorial that I know of. If you have a link or some resources to share about that I will start looking into it.

Also now that I have a good grip on x264 I may revisit MeGui and see if I can get it working. Its supposed to be the most advanced GUI. Though the problem with me last time I used it was not knowing what to do, but it did not work at all.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 14:21 
Insiders
Insiders

Just how big a deal is it to use a XXX/16 resolution?

If you're using 1280x720 or above, it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't think twice about using 1080 instead of 1088 or other mod16 numbers.

Again thanks, right now I am using the newest x264 build off of here: http://x264.nl/

Those are fine. They're built using a fairly old version of gcc and they're 32-bit only. I'll message you.

Making your own, I cant even get a solid place to start, all I find are these gnu code pages with strange archives. Nothing like a tutorial that I know of. If you have a link or some resources to share about that I will start looking into it.

It's not worth it if you don't already have a grip on compiling stuff. I use a VM with XP installed in it. And I use MSVC and ICC to compile. It requires some modifications and a custom Makefile for ICC support. There's just a lot involved.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 14:58 
Editors
Editors

Ok lol so much for making my own :P

Whats your stand on FAAC vs NeroAAC? You prefer nero obviously but up until recently I had been using FAAC.

StaxRip uses Besweet, and besweet uses the Neroaacenc as one of its encoders. Its command line driven also, so its strange to see a command line program use a command line encoder, I did get a gui for it though belite. I can use the gui to learn the commands and go from there like I have been doing with avisynth and x264.

I feel very comfortable with x264 now. I could easily make my own .bat file to encode a video.

So I just need to get more familar with avisynth and then start learning hwo to mux/demux to put it all together.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 15:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Whats your stand on FAAC vs NeroAAC? You prefer nero obviously but up until recently I had been using FAAC.

FAAC is terrible. The quality is really poor. I use neroaacenc pretty exclusively.

Here is my workflow for doing audio.
(Assuming you have an audio.wav file)

neroaacenc -q 0.35 -lc -if audio.wav -of audio.mp4
mp4box -raw 1 audio.mp4
del audio.mp4
ren audio_track1.aac audio.aac

Now, if you're using MP4:

mp4box -add audio.aac -add video.264 -fps 30 video.mp4

This will save the resulting video.mp4 that's ready for use. If you want to use mkvmerge, I suggest you check out mkvmerge GUI. Get familiar with the GUI first, and then you can actually copy the command line it will use to the clipboard so you can paste it and get familiar with the actual command line options.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 16:44 
Editors
Editors

unless you need to do the sort of processing where avisynth excels, it's often easier just to feed the video directly to x264, ffmpeg, mencoder... they all do an excelent job and don't require avisynth to frame serve which means they are faster!

Your take dopefish?

I think I noticed this first hand. It never takes 2 hours for a 10min clip when I used a gui that did not frame serve from avisynth.

Also my 4 cpu cores on my meter fluxed from about 60-100% pretty randomly, when I use HB or something it has all 4 stay at 100% the entire time.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2009, 17:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Well if you're not doing anything that requires effects, then it's always better to use the video file directly or pipe it directly. The more effects you use, the slower it will be. However, depending on your encoding settings, sometimes simple effects won't really have a drastic impact on performance as they would if you used medium-quality or low-quality settings.

You don't need to use a GUI still, you can pipe the video straight to it or use it directly as a y4m video.

Using CLI x264 will be more efficient than with a GUI. Just specify --threads auto and be done. If you have heavy encoding settings, each core should easily be at 100%.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 19:25 
Editors
Editors

Playing with NeroAACenc.exe today.

Its command driven interface is pretty easy to use, but it only accepts .wav Not a big deal I can demux probaby anything from a video with VirtualDubMod to a .wav but to play with it I wanted to convert some of my MP3 Files over.

Looked around last night at work on my downtime.

Ran across all the usual BeLight, BeHappy, BeSweet, AACMachine but I found just one that really stood out to me and it was not in the highlight it was hard to find.

Its just called "sng" for Simple NeroAACenc GUI and it used the nero exe, and just does the work for you and lets you learn the command line strings.

However it has an optional input method using bepipe.exe to use avisynth for input.

It worked right away for my test mp3.

3:30 clip 320kbs MP3

used this script

Code:
bepipe.exe --script "DirectShowSource(<input>)" | "neroAacEnc.exe"  -q 0.35 -lc -if - -of <output>

it kicked out a 128kb/s MP4 file that sounds the same to me thats cutting the file size well over in half.

I know its not recommended to go from one lossy format to another but hey I was just playing around.

Retested with a -q 0.30 setting and its still 128kb/s??

Now I guess I can use MP4Box, VirtualDubMod, and AACMachine to rip the AAC out of the .mp4 container.

Suppose I'll try that next.

Edit: Nevermind VirtualDubMod it did not work I can make it work probably so tried this:

neroaacenc -q 0.35 -lc -if audio.wav -of audio.mp4
mp4box -raw 1 audio.mp4
del audio.mp4
ren audio_track1.aac audio.aac

Worked a treat! What would I add to make the .aac file have a target destination?

Also how in the world can I get it so I can run my commands like yours with just the .exe and not make them look like this.

Code:
"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktopAudio ToolsMP4BoxMP4Box.exe" -raw 1 "C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktopAudio ToolsMP4BoxDevour.M4a"

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2009, 23:36 
Editors
Editors

Doh! I got your 64bit.exe and want to give it a shot but I am not able to translate your code.

I just used megui to produce my x264 string for me but I made this into a bat file.

Code:
"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x246avs2yuv.exe" -raw

"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x246MirrorsEdgeOpening.avs" -  |

"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x24664bitX264.exe" -crf 25.0 -ref 6 -mixed-refs

-no-fast-pskip -bframes 16 -b-pyramid -weightb -direct auto -subme 9 -trellis 2 -psy-rd 1.0:0.1

-partitions all -8x8dct -me umh -threads auto -thread-input -progress -no-dct-decimate -no-

psnr -no-ssim -output 64test.264 - 1920x1080

From your:
Code:

avs2yuv -raw "inputfile.avs" - | x264 <options> -o outputfile.264 - 1920x1080

Im still in the dark on how to get things to run without including the full file directory aswell. You said something about having it in a PATH, but when you run a cmd prompt how does it know what path it started from (I guess if you run a .bat file it uses the path the .bat is located in thats the only thing I can think of)

I know this part is working:

"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x246MirrorsEdgeOpening.avs" -

Because when I ran cmd.exe isntead of a .bat file and put that in it went crazy with all the codes and stuff, if I type in only the avs2yuv.exe part it gives me the list of options.

So the problem has to be my x264 options or some kind of error in my code. That or the x264 you gave me wont work for me. I cant see as the prompt closes even when I added a /p for pause to the bat file.

Edit: Got it! Its encoding now.

I had to add double "--" for the x264 commands. I thought they were single so I took them out after it failed the first time, when the first error was due to the output command or the paths probably.

Final Bat looks like this:
Code:

"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x246MirrorsEdgeOpening.avs" -  |

"C:UsersViciousXUSMCDesktop64bit x24664bitX264.exe" --crf 25.0 --ref 6 --mixed-

refs --no-fast-pskip --bframes 16 --b-pyramid --weightb --direct auto --subme 9 --trellis 2 --

psy-rd 1.0:0.1 --partitions all --8x8dct --me umh --threads auto --thread-input --progress --no

-dct-decimate --no-psnr --no-ssim --output 64test.264 - 1920x1080

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2009, 00:31 
Editors
Editors

Hehe :P Bear with me.. but big post and multiple post in a row.

The command prompt closed before I could see how long it took to encode, but I think it was faster for sure. I guess if I add a /p command in there I can have the command prompt stay open after encode to read the stats right?

So here is what it looked like up and running when I got the encoding part working:

I confirmed my own theory of what you meant by path by placing a copy of all the programs needed in one folder with the .bat files like this. I am guessing you use a similar setup? Just I do not liking having everything in one folder I like it to be separated. I suppose once you make the .bat file once you can use the long paths and never have to worry about it just change file names.

So with all the programs in that folder and my raw .H264 file.

I used VirtualDub and just used the option "Send out WAV" and it in seconds gave me the .wav file for the audio track (makes me feel dirty I used a program that has a gui instead of a command prompt lol)

With that wave I created this .bat

Code:
neroaacenc -q 0.35 -lc -if MirrorsEdgeOpening.wav -of MirrorsEdgeOpening.mp4

Had a .MP4 file in seconds

Then I made this bat

Code:
MP4Box.exe -raw 1 MirrorsEdgeOpening.MP4

Gave me raw AAC in seconds (though I think MP4box can take it as a .mp4 file and there is no need for this step, maybe you need it for MKVMerge)

Then to mux it together I created this bat.

Code:
mp4box -add MirrorsEdgeOpening.aac -add 64test.264 -fps 29.97 FullManual.mp4

The result was a file that was smaller than the one I got out of the GUI and I think the encoding was faster, but I need to find a way to have x264 export a stats file or leave the command prompt open so I can read it and compare.

CPU stayed pegged at 100% the entire time so no resources were wasted.

Few quick ???'s

1.) What is the - 1920x1080 tag at the end. I know its resolution but what program does it go to? I cant find it as a valid x264 command and it doesnt have the double "--" but its all the way over on the x264 command side so I do not see how avs2yuv could be picking it up and using it as a command.

2.) Is -o and -output interchangable? I changed your -o on the x264 side to -output as thats what I read in the x264 codes wiki.

3.) Looking up avs2yuv people used code like this:

Code:
avs2yuv.exe -o - | x264....

I omitted the -o on the avs2yuv side and did not notice any ill effects.

4.) The best way to see encode time with your method so I can compare it to the x86 builds.

Props to dopefish for getting me far enough to do something like this, though most of the script was his I still did a basically full manual CLI encode.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next