Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009, 10:55 
Editors
Editors

Looks like I found a situation where CRF loses to ABR pretty badly.

Im taking anime episodes (naruto in this case) downsizing them to 320x240 via avisynth script and then running it through x264.

with CRF it seems that it maxed out the quality/file size around CRF 21 or so.

All the way down to CRF 14 the file size & quality did not change.

Even in this maxed out state I get a lot of blocks in some animations (have deblock filter up to 1,1)

However on a two pass ABR its perfect quality @ 300 but thats a bit too large and hard on my phone I think.

ABR 200 seems almost just as good and plays great, and just did a ABR 150 run and with ABR 150 the file size is 25mb vs CRF maxing out a 31mb and the quality is still better!

Its almost as if CRF is not applying the deblock filter.

So I guess when your doing really low bitrate stuff that ABR > CRF? or maybe its just because I am going from one lossless codec to another, the original file is a 170mb .AVI encoded with XVID.

I think I am going to settle with 192kb/s ABR on the video and for audio seems that HE-AAC @ 32Kbit/s works well I cant detet any real loss of quality and the file size is half of my normal AAC constant quality encodes.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009, 11:42 
Insiders
Insiders

Well... anime is an entirely different beast when it comes to encoding. The hard line edges, solid colors, choppy animation, etc. make for very different encoding settings. You might want to browse the Doom9 forums for information on the best settings for anime. I never watch or do anything with anime so I don't know what to recommend. All I know is that you typically need different settings.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2009, 15:58 
Editors
Editors

Yeah problem is all the anime encoding stuff is for pc use, not phone use so all the goodies that make it work well @ low bitrate I cant use as they are high profile stuff that I think my phone wont support.

BTW did you get my PM about NeroAACEnc? I never did figure out why it wont encode the .wav file I ripped from Naruto.

I can use MeGUI and it works with the same code but it does some sort of pre-processing first to make it work, or I can pipe it with bepipe and it works.

So I have a solution but I would like to know the problem and a way to fix it directly.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2009, 14:35 

A bit offtopic but useful and not widely known:

You can even make HD-Playlists !

First you have to have a playlist, of course. But youtube only displays then in low quality. And even if you hit the HD button, the next video will be LQ again.

However, if you add a &hd=1 to the url in the embed code, all vids are played HD by default.

Direct playlist links are a bit different.
In the end they have to look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/p/DB7F5F0B3CA4F452&fs=1&hd=1

See here for details

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 07:41 

so much for all this "advice", all incorrect. :oops:

seems there's an "official" youtube fix. all you have to do is add a tag (yt:stretch=16:9) to even existing videos and the problem is fixed. so there's no need to crop or whatever 1920x1200 clips.

so yeah....

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 15:11 
Insiders
Insiders

It's not "incorrect."

You do realize that you're going to be stretching it to an incorrect aspect-ratio with that, right?

The problem is that 1920x1200 is 16:10. YouTube displays videos at 720p, which is 1280x720, which is 16:9.

To compare 16:9 to 16:10, let's use the width of 1920.

16:10 = 1920x1200
16:9 = 1920x1080

Because 1200 is taller than 1080, when you upload a 16:10 video, it's going to add black bars to the left and the right to downscale the video to a height of 1080.

1920x1200 = 1728x1080

Downscale that to 720, and you get 1152x720. A width of 1152 is less than 1280, which is why you see the black bars.

Stretching 1152 to 1280 will fill the screen, but it's wrong. The aspect-ratio is not right and everything in the image will appear shorter and fatter.

What you are doing with that switch is pushing your problem aside, not fixing it. The proper solution is to upload videos that are 16:9 natively. Either record your videos at 16:9, crop them afterwards, or put up with the black bars.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 17:31 

i hear what you're saying but i see no difference. i carefully watched some of my own clips with the black bars, then added the tag and rewatched them. i saw absolutely no change like you say (fatter/shorter) and i was perhaps kind of also expecting.

i don't know.
this isn't a trick question, can you see any such anomalies in my hd clips ? if yes, point out which/where.

just now to test some more i watched some of the "fixed" clips vs the actual avi's i still have on the hdd, and still could not see any difference. this one is a good example because of the menu on the left side - i switched back and forth between the uploaded one and the original at 1920x1200, paused them and gauged the distance between all things and could honestly see no "fattening", shrinkage or that sort of issue. also on the right side, where the picture is, it has the same distance between the ceiling and it, and the same distance between it and the floor. (unless i see things very badly) (again, this was compared between the original avi on my hdd and the current one as linked here)

what i'd really like to do is to make a new clip of a game, probably just grab 10 seconds or so of the menu of a game, and then have you do the same. name any game as i probably have it. then you upload it at the "correct" resolution and i'll upload it as before at 1920x1200 and then i'll ad the tag. then we can compare the two and see what's what. and because we will have identical video footage it should work. that's why i recommend taking a video grab of just the game menu. so we load say, cod4, and then after it loads and "sits" at the game menu we grab a 10 second clip. understand ?

ps: what is the easiest program to use to join the 4gb fraps files together ?

thanks,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11