Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 00:07 

yeah, but he's happy with his other HD clips (fallout 3) so we talking about how the longer dead space HD clip is worse. so to find out if it IS the length he should do what i suggested. only he'll know....

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 00:13 
Insiders
Insiders

I use Avidemux to do all my encoding and use the x264 codec its by far the best, however I just found the hard way that FRAPS uses its own special codec that is not compatible with Avidemux. So I will have a separate guide on Avidemux at a later time incase you have other video sources you want to use that do work (or if other capture programs work with it, I need to try Xfire's capture)

x264 is not a codec. x264 is a utility to encode videos to H.264.

For the Codec use Xvid

This is a terrible codec. Use H.264.

:)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 01:11 
Editors
Editors

I use H264 and x264 interchangably as many do. But your correct.

XVID & DIVX are not bad, but H264 has obviously passed them by in quality.

XVID is good for its speed though, so if quality is not a concern or file size you can get the job done faster.

Strange thing though my H264/AAC .MP4 coding of this file is going faster than the XVID one did it seems like. Plus my HDD is not getting pegged nearly as hard. I guess its just how AutoGK works as it uses VirtualDub.

Now that I have found some new tricks I can finaly use H264 for my FRAPS files via Frame Server because before I could not as the codec it uses was not supported in AviDemux.

Infact my very first FRAPS H264 encoding is finishing now! (well there was one earlier but with the colors messed up lol) so going to do the side by side compare and see if I can see any difference then send it off to youtube to see if they end up breaking it down differently.

Edit: Dang I have an audio sync issue and the video starts off fast for some reason. So still no usable H264 encoding for me.

If for no other reason than pure simplicity and reliability thats the main reason I am happy with XVID AutoGK encoding. I have not had even one problem or bad video yet, however using so many different H264 programs I have run into so many issues.

I still use and prefer AviDemux but I just have this audio sync issue that creeps up on me for a lot of things and it wont open FRAPS files.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 01:55 
Insiders
Insiders

I use H264 and x264 interchangably as many do. But your correct.

Yes, many people do this. I wish they would stop. :)

XVID & DIVX are not bad, but H264 has obviously passed them by in quality.

They're pretty bad. ;)

XVID is good for its speed though, so if quality is not a concern or file size you can get the job done faster.

Not true. It really depends on the settings you use to encode. You can encode videos that have a much higher quality while encoding at a faster speed with a smaller final filesize. Depending on your CPU and settings with x264, you can get anywhere from 0.25 FPS to 1000+ FPS if you wanted.

There are many ways to approach creating videos. I use neroaacenc for creating AAC files. I use a hand-compiled 64-bit x264 (12-15% gains from it being 64-bit) directly rather than through some third-party frontend. I use a combination of mp4box and mkvmerge for importing the files into containers. I prefer matroska over MP4.

As for effects, timing, audio/video sync, I use Avisynth. It's scripting language and filters are extremely useful.

YouTube quality is still pretty terrible. For gaming videos, I prefer to use NoobFlicks since their quality is better.

I've included some comparisons below.

As you can see in the following images, the difference between my original source and encoded source is almost impossible to tell.

In both YouTube clips, all details in the hand, ground, walls, etc. are destroyed. The NoobFlicks clips also suffer greatly in quality, but a lot more detail is retained throughout the entire scene.

Edit:
Keep in mind that YouTube will downscale 1080p to 720p. NoobFlicks keeps 1080p at 1080p, so the bitrate at 1080p will suffer some with NoobFlicks.

Original, non-encoded 1080p source:

Encoded 1080p source used to upload:

YouTube quality from a 1080p upload:

YouTube quality from a 720p upload:

NoobFlicks quality from a 1080p upload:

NoobFlicks quality from a 720p upload:

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 02:02 
Editors
Editors

I'll have to have you help me learn what you know if your willing.

Im done for today I have 3 hours till I have to be at work so need some sleep.

My x264 adventure ends on a sad note today.

The frame sever application from vegas did not work with avidemux I get a green scree with audio just like I get if I try to import a fraps .avi file directly so I guess the codec must be retained from the original files, or what ever codec that frame server uses it does not support.

I tried a few things like exporting from vegas as a different file type and a different codec like WM9 and it still gives me a save error and gives me a bad file. (first 3 seconds of the clip are very fast video with normal audio causing audio to be out of sync the entire clip, cant tell but seems like the sync gets worse as it goes)

I just wish there was some fool proof easy way to do x264 encoding w/ AAC as for the container .mp4 is fine with me but .mkv is also good. Im not going to compete with you in why one is better than the other as your knowledge is much greater.

You should try to write us a tutorial or something on how you do it and the programs you use. I especially need to find a way to do this from sony vegas because more often than not I need to edit a video not just convert it.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 02:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah. I'll work on something sometime. I do things in a more complex manner usually because I have more control and the results are better.

As long as you work with a lossless source in other editors like Vegas or VirtualDub, and you save it as lossless, then you can easily encode it with x264.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 06:40 
Editors
Editors

Yeah problem is a lossless file of even just 9 min is 56gb id hate to see a longer file!

I really liked that debugmode frame server aplication. It worked flawlessly with AutoGK allowing me to go directly into XVID with no middle file, but it will not work with Avidemux.

So chances are you method will work with it as Avidemux seems to be picky about what codecs and files it supports. When it works its the best encoder I have used, with tons of options, and filters, and a great interface. However I just seem to run into the few situations where it does not work right.

Im starting to wonder if maybe is partially my system since I have so many different codecs and programs installed, maybe it is a conflict of sorts. I mean Vegas is giving me some error about a file it needs when I tried to do XVID when last time I tried it, it worked.

Also I was very surprised when I just quickly experimented with the only other format Vegas offered me that had decent options and that was WM9 it came out fast and with a smaller file size but looked nearly identical to the lossless uncompressed file.

Im fully in support of your tutorial, if you can just get us started and then we can ask questions if we get stuck :P

I also prefer a manual advanced method when it comes to most things, just video editing has given me trouble for some reason.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 08:26 
Insiders
Insiders

Yeah problem is a lossless file of even just 9 min is 56gb id hate to see a longer file!

Don't confuse uncompressed and lossless. :)

When you capture stuff, it mostly is uncompressed. You can store it in a lossless file that takes up far less space while still maintaining quality.

You can use x264 to store a lossless H.264 file. This cuts down on size considerably.

Here's an example of a 4 second clip:
433 MB uncompressed
166 MB compressed lossless

Think of WAV to FLAC.

You can use HUFFYUV to store in a more commonly supported format. You can even load it into VirtualDub I believe.

I'll work on some helpful information later. It won't necessarily be a tutorial so much as providing lots of helpful information that you can take and use at your leisure.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 08:52 
Editors
Editors

HUFFYUF is supposed to work in Vegas, i guess I just need to d/l and install it so I will give that a shot later.

Also the Vegas DV codec is supposed to be virtually loseless, not sure if I have that or not but I found it in my google search.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2009, 14:40 
Editors
Editors

well downloaded and installed HuffYUV and cant find it in my vegas encoding codec options. Id id however when googling stuff find recommended on Doom9 an alternative FFD Shows FFV1 and that one I think I do have so going to give it a shot.

Edit: Scratch that when I went into my FFD Show codecs list I found it in there as well as FFV1. Now not sure wich is better. It probably wont matter but doing a small test run with both. Also there are several smaller options inside the codec setup that I do not understand.

Edit 2: FFV1 resulted in some kind of slow motion video, so it was slow and it put audio out of sync. Huff worked to what seems perfect in the file it created and its much smaller than uncompressed. Still though running that file through avidemux gives me the bad files where it starts in hyper speed and then slows down to normal causing audio sync issues and the file was not save properly error.

I can open up other files on my computer like stuff I have downloaded and encode it just fine in avidemux so not sure what the deal is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next