Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 16:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 01:31 

I have some great news. Well, it's not about widescreen and FOV, and may be a bit of topic, but I will write it here as a reference.

Like many other games Will Rock renders enemies and other dynamic objects with low detail when they are further away. That worked great 10 years ago on slow PCs and with low resolution monitors you didn't even notice it, but now we don't need this and looking at enemies constantly switching between various models is distracting.

You can turn it off if you go to "game install directory"/bin/willrock.ini and set VIDEO_MaxLod=-10

This way the game will render the highest quality models all the time, making the game look better than ever.

With the high resolution fix, ability to force AA and AF via the GPU, and now this, who needs game remasters :clap:

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 12:55 
Editors
Editors

From 14 years out of the DB to complete revamp in a couple weeks... What a time to be old and alive :cheers:

I'm impressed by the flexibility of the old Saber 3D engine. If only all LOD issues in current games could be fixed with .ini edits.
antrad wrote:
That worked great 10 years ago on slow PCs and with low resolution monitors you didn't even notice it,
Really ? I remember loathing it even on my 1024x768 CRT. Using early ZModeler to fix NFS4, trying to enhance the lo-poly "distant" model of a car by copying the hi-poly mesh... Good times.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2017, 17:58 

scavvenjahh wrote:
From 14 years out of the DB to complete revamp in a couple weeks... What a time to be old and alive :cheers:

I'm impressed by the flexibility of the old Saber 3D engine. If only all LOD issues in current games could be fixed with .ini edits.
antrad wrote:
That worked great 10 years ago on slow PCs and with low resolution monitors you didn't even notice it,
Really ? I remember loathing it even on my 1024x768 CRT. Using early ZModeler to fix NFS4, trying to enhance the lo-poly "distant" model of a car by copying the hi-poly mesh... Good times.

Haha, when I wrote that I forgot it is already 2017 and 10 years ago it was 2007. I was thinking of the time of 15" 800x600 monitors :doh:

Yes, LOD and low draw distance is the "Achilles heel" of games. We have PCs now that can run them in high framerates, we usually have fixes for higher resolutions, we can force anti-aliasing and with 16x anisotropic filtering games look sharp like a razor. But all this makes the LOD switching and low draw distance just more noticeable. And it is such a shame since the high quality models are already there, in the game files, but 80% of the time we have to look at low quality ones until we come very close.