Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2015, 18:28 

I've posted over in the Max Payne 3 thread about this issue but figured this would be the right place.

Max Payne 3 is a joy to play at 21:9 - that is as long as you're only counting the gameplay. Those excellent and stylish in-engine cutscenes are horizontally cropped, however.

I'm not very technical but it appears like the game is treating the single 21:9 monitor as the center screen in a triple monitor setup. Even worse, for rendered cutscenes the game plays the video in a tiny box - not using the full vertical resolution.

I'm here today asking for a solution. Can anyone figure out how to get Max Payne 3 to run correctly at 21:9? I'm talking with no compromises - Flawless Widescreen style. Please?

-SeventhWard

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 15:48 
Insiders
Insiders

SeventhWard wrote:
I've posted over in the Max Payne 3 thread about this issue but figured this would be the right place.

Max Payne 3 is a joy to play at 21:9 - that is as long as you're only counting the gameplay. Those excellent and stylish in-engine cutscenes are horizontally cropped, however.

I'm not very technical but it appears like the game is treating the single 21:9 monitor as the center screen in a triple monitor setup. Even worse, for rendered cutscenes the game plays the video in a tiny box - not using the full vertical resolution.

I'm here today asking for a solution. Can anyone figure out how to get Max Payne 3 to run correctly at 21:9? I'm talking with no compromises - Flawless Widescreen style. Please?

-SeventhWard

Here's fix - available from the https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files (search there)
It will work on scene release v1.0.0.114.

Here's another fix:
- Run game and Alt+Tab it
- Run fix available from the https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files (search there)
- Alt+Tab back to game

Not sure, but maybe this fix will work on Steam and Rockstar Warehouse version.

Last edited by jackfuste on 20 Jul 2015, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2015, 22:17 

Thanks, jackfuste!

The first link provided didn't apply to my version but the Alt+Tab memory patch app clears my Steam copy of the game right up. I salute you! A most sincere thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!
For other users out there, I've noted that this patch will need to be run every time the game is launched. Also, it seems a little crash upon exiting the game is par for the course as well.

Other than that, those transitions between cutscene and gameplay have never looked better. Max Payne 3 has been resurrected as a WIDESCREEN noir masterpiece.

My next bottle of whiskey and painkillers is in your honor, jackfuste!

-SeventhWard

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 00:47 

Can you post the fixes again? They're not available to me. Thank you.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 00:20 

My virus scanner says its a virus :/ ( the mirror )
is it?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 16:18 

I've tried the Max_Payne_3_21x9_FIX.EXE (from the first link) today on the current Steam version of the game (1.0.0.196) and the fix works. To apply it though you have to do one extra step after running the patch. Working procedure:

• Start the game, wait until the main menu has loaded.
  • Switch to desktop and run the Fix, when it has been applied the fix closes itself.
  • Switch back to the game, go into Graphics options, set Aspect Ratio to 16:9 and Apply. After that set the Aspect Ratio back to Auto and Apply.
  • Now the fix should work, you can immediately see the effect because also the menu itself is now rendered correctly.

Tested on 3440x1440. Thanks for making this fix!

I wouldn't recommend the other fix (MaxPayne_3.7z), this is based on an older and cracked version of the game.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 11:29 

Hey @Jackfuste
Would it be possible to apply the fix on the most recent .exe.
The alternative fix works greatly on the Steam version, but it's annoying having to launch it manually each time.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 13:34 

I didn't understood how the first fix worked.

The second one with JoopNL instructions works great. The game is really amazing at 3440x1440. (I can max everything with a 1070 except for AA)

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:32 

I´ve got the steam version, so I cannot use the cracked fix.
But the second fix can´t be downloaded anymore. Could anybody upload it again?

PostPosted: 22 Feb 2018, 20:59 

yup i've got that problem , hopefully jack reupload file or someone has a backup please upload