Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
Last visit was: less than a minute ago It is currently 20 Jul 2024, 14:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]




 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2014, 22:34 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
Kayden wrote:
According to Alex Hutchinson, Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal, all multi-monitor users are pirates because were having troubles with the FOV slider disappearing. :doh:

https://www.facebook.com/Techgage/posts/717783668309631


Don't pay attention to that, they are clearly click bating, they posted 3 hours ago, his tweet was on the 18th the same day the game came out, and the overwhelming majority of people moaning about it at that time would of been idiots or pirates. Techgage are clearly taking that tweet out of context to get attention.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 


 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 00:38 
Offline
Insiders
Insiders
User avatar

Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:27
Posts: 213
Skid wrote:
Kayden wrote:
According to Alex Hutchinson, Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal, all multi-monitor users are pirates because were having troubles with the FOV slider disappearing. :doh:

https://www.facebook.com/Techgage/posts/717783668309631


Don't pay attention to that, they are clearly click bating, they posted 3 hours ago, his tweet was on the 18th the same day the game came out, and the overwhelming majority of people moaning about it at that time would of been idiots or pirates. Techgage are clearly taking that tweet out of context to get attention.


It isn't click bait because I didn't know about it until today, been busy with my Dragon Age Inquisition review and there is no revenue from Facebook. The content also does not link back to the site for any possible revenue.

The problem I have with it is if you say something long enough, even if it isn't true, people will believe it. It is hard to put something that inflammatory into any other context than it's literal wording. I do think people can be lazy and unwilling to learn to fix their own problems but to say that the problem only exists because of pirates is as I said, arrogant. An arrogant assumption at that.

I'm sorry I couldn't post it when you would have liked but as I said, I had the Dragon Age Inquisition review to do, that I paid for btw, and Far Cry 4, which I am now getting to. Sorry to hear you feel that way about a site that I am proud to write for but just you know, we've never done that click bait crap. I've even been told news posts have to be submitted one day after it breaks at the latest, unless it's trending for several days, but I don't have time for that so I don't do the news that often. I hate that you assume we do that crap. We hate it just as much as you Skid.

_________________
Azza Fusion 4000 Liquid Cooled Full/Mini-ITX Tower - AMD Ryzen 1700x CPU - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU Cooler - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme - 2x EVGA GTX 980 in SLI - Geil 16GB - Klipsch 5.1 THX Speakers - Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Sandisk 256GB SSD, Samsung 512GB 850 PRO SSD, WD Black 320GB & Two times Toshiba 5TB (one for Games and the other for Storage) - Logitech G502 - Corsair K65 RGB - Logitech G13 - Win10 Pro 64bit - 2-over-1 Viewsonic VA2448M 24" (2x 1920x1080 Secondary) & Samsung CHG90 Series Curved 49" (3840x1080) - Ergotech Monitor Stand - Shout out to WSGF for the upgrade on my stand!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 02:11 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
Kayden wrote:
Skid wrote:
Kayden wrote:
According to Alex Hutchinson, Creative Director at Ubisoft Montreal, all multi-monitor users are pirates because were having troubles with the FOV slider disappearing. :doh:

https://www.facebook.com/Techgage/posts/717783668309631


Don't pay attention to that, they are clearly click bating, they posted 3 hours ago, his tweet was on the 18th the same day the game came out, and the overwhelming majority of people moaning about it at that time would of been idiots or pirates. Techgage are clearly taking that tweet out of context to get attention.


It isn't click bait because I didn't know about it until today, been busy with my Dragon Age Inquisition review and there is no revenue from Facebook. The content also does not link back to the site for any possible revenue.

The problem I have with it is if you say something long enough, even if it isn't true, people will believe it. It is hard to put something that inflammatory into any other context than it's literal wording. I do think people can be lazy and unwilling to learn to fix their own problems but to say that the problem only exists because of pirates is as I said, arrogant. An arrogant assumption at that.

I'm sorry I couldn't post it when you would have liked but as I said, I had the Dragon Age Inquisition review to do, that I paid for btw, and Far Cry 4, which I am now getting to. Sorry to hear you feel that way about a site that I am proud to write for but just you know, we've never done that click bait crap. I've even been told news posts have to be submitted one day after it breaks at the latest, unless it's trending for several days, but I don't have time for that so I don't do the news that often. I hate that you assume we do that crap. We hate it just as much as you Skid.


My problem is with that specific post you linked to, nothing else, is informatory and misleading, on the day of the games release they was a lot of people claim the game didn't have a FoV slider, at all. The number of legitimate users at that point that would of complied about a lack of FoV slider would of been very small. Most the people moaning about it would be people how ether pirated the game, so didn't have the day one patch, or people jumping on the band wagon of complaining because they read somewhere it was missing and not checking their facts first, his tweet was clearly aimed at them.

His tweet was on the first day, before issues with surround and eyefinity would of been verified, the linked post noted that it was confirmed the option was locked for us, did that confirmation come before or after the tweet, because that information wasn't included in the post. Also has he tweeted the same since that confirmation, if not then there is no grounds to say he's lumping us in with the people that did pirate the game.

Ubisoft do enough to get themselves in trouble anyway without people fanning flames that don't exist. And the trend of taking one tweet out of contexts to try and vilify someone, cause conflict or as some sort of news has to stop.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 02:47 
Offline
I Donated
I Donated

Joined: 18 Jul 2007, 04:19
Posts: 513
So there's supposed to be a 1.4 update for this game. Any tried it? Does it fix the FoV issue?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 03:40 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: 15 Nov 2014, 16:37
Posts: 9
Ubisoft's blog says that 1.4 will be released tomorrow, or "In the following days". - http://far-cry.ubi.com/en-US/news/live- ... 8-76770-32

Says it is primarily for the black screen startup issue, but a full change list will be posted once released.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 04:41 
Offline
Insiders
Insiders
User avatar

Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 15:27
Posts: 213
Skid wrote:
My problem is with that specific post you linked to, nothing else, is informatory and misleading, on the day of the games release they was a lot of people claim the game didn't have a FoV slider, at all. The number of legitimate users at that point that would of complied about a lack of FoV slider would of been very small. Most the people moaning about it would be people how ether pirated the game, so didn't have the day one patch, or people jumping on the band wagon of complaining because they read somewhere it was missing and not checking their facts first, his tweet was clearly aimed at them.

His tweet was on the first day, before issues with surround and eyefinity would of been verified, the linked post noted that it was confirmed the option was locked for us, did that confirmation come before or after the tweet, because that information wasn't included in the post. Also has he tweeted the same since that confirmation, if not then there is no grounds to say he's lumping us in with the people that did pirate the game.

Ubisoft do enough to get themselves in trouble anyway without people fanning flames that don't exist. And the trend of taking one tweet out of contexts to try and vilify someone, cause conflict or as some sort of news has to stop.


It isn't taken out of context. Unless you can tell me what he was thinking, which I doubt you can, than I take what he wrote as point of fact. There is no ambiguity, it is black and white, and he is saying only those who are having problems with it are pirates. That simple. As to your point about him not verifying information, he's the creative director for crying out loud he isn't a customer of ubisoft! He is in a position of authority and management, if he wanted to know the facts he would but he didn't and yes I think it is important to hold him to a higher standard when he's making false accusations. I hold those in positions like that to a higher standard and you should to. As fare as your problem to my link to, it was not misleading. I provided it to highlight the problem with his statement that because I have the problem so in his mind I must be a pirate, that goes for you and anyone else who has this problem. I do not take kindly to being accused of a crime when there the basis of his facts are omitted from scrutiny or admittance to incompetence. This man is a doing the same thing CliffyB did by accusing PC gamers as nothing but pirates and look where we are! Shoddy ports from consoles, lack of support and more and more intrusive DRM than ever before. This isn't a conspiracy, it is fact that these things have happened because of people saying this garbage with no repercussions when they're ignorant or at worst arrogant. I do not want to see things get worse for us as a gaming community so yes I will speak up to this sort of harassment and profiling because it is wrong, even if you don't think so.

_________________
Azza Fusion 4000 Liquid Cooled Full/Mini-ITX Tower - AMD Ryzen 1700x CPU - Tt Water 3.0 Ultimate CPU Cooler - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Extreme - 2x EVGA GTX 980 in SLI - Geil 16GB - Klipsch 5.1 THX Speakers - Vertex 4 128GB SSD, Sandisk 256GB SSD, Samsung 512GB 850 PRO SSD, WD Black 320GB & Two times Toshiba 5TB (one for Games and the other for Storage) - Logitech G502 - Corsair K65 RGB - Logitech G13 - Win10 Pro 64bit - 2-over-1 Viewsonic VA2448M 24" (2x 1920x1080 Secondary) & Samsung CHG90 Series Curved 49" (3840x1080) - Ergotech Monitor Stand - Shout out to WSGF for the upgrade on my stand!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 10:44 
Offline
Administrators
Administrators
User avatar

Joined: 02 Nov 2009, 12:14
Posts: 1031
Location: Lincoln, UK
Kayden wrote:
It isn't taken out of context. Unless you can tell me what he was thinking, which I doubt you can,

And you can? Guilt till proven innocent I see, assume the worst because it fits your narrative better rather then consider the situation from what his side would be?
The context, on the day of release thousands of peoples was up in arms because prior to the game coming out there was no FoV slider, and rather then checking the facts that said the day one patch would have it. Of that large mass of misinformed anger that was attacking Ubisoft, less then 1% would of legitimate complainants, a group so small it's would of been easily missed among the anger.

Quote:
than I take what he wrote as point of fact. There is no ambiguity, it is black and white, and he is saying only those who are having problems with it are pirates.

There are more shades of gray then their are black and white, twitter by its very nature is ambiguous hell, why? Because it only allows for 140 characters, ohh what you expected someone to respond barrage of unfounded attacked in a detailed and well written manor while using twitter?

Quote:
As to your point about him not verifying information, he's the creative director for crying out loud he isn't a customer of ubisoft!

Well done, you just proved you have no credibility by taking my post out of context when it's context is clearly displayed in the first line: "My problem is with that specific post you linked to, nothing else" meaning that comment was directed at YOUR opinion piece. IE you cited that Ubisoft acknowledged the issue on Eyefinity, and you are using that again it. However you didn't provide proof where that was said or more importantly when, and even more importantly you didn't provide the proof that Alex was aware of the issue when he posted his tweet. As you put it, he's the Creative Director, he's not expected to know every detail about a game made by hundreds of people, hell it's not even his responsibility to know about bug and issues with the game.

Quote:
He is in a position of authority and management,

Not really, his responsibility lie in guiding how the game looks, feels, and plays, not what the games options are.

Quote:
if he wanted to know the facts he would but he didn't and yes I think it is important to hold him to a higher standard

What so he's expected to be able to know the things he doesn't know about? Or that he should be asking questions about very detail of a game? You do know why development houses of games this size have hundreds of people in them right?

Quote:
when he's making false accusations.

I refer you to my first point, perspective is important.

Quote:
I hold those in positions like that to a higher standard and you should to.

Coming from someone claiming to have written a post and basing it on their own opinion rather then researching facts, getting opinions and ASKING THE GUY, if he knew about the multi-monitor issue when he posted or if the post was even aimed at us.

Quote:
As fare as your problem to my link to, it was not misleading.

My opinion does not agree with yours.

Quote:
I provided it to highlight the problem with his statement that because I have the problem so in his mind I must be a pirate, that goes for you and anyone else who has this problem.

Based on your interpretation, with no regard for consideration of the event at the time he posted it, or what his intent might be, everything is black or white, his 140 character post must be taking 100% literally because you say so.

Quote:
I do not take kindly to being accused of a crime when there the basis of his facts are omitted from scrutiny or admittance to incompetence. This man is a doing the same thing CliffyB did by accusing PC gamers as nothing but pirates and look where we are! Shoddy ports from consoles, lack of support and more and more intrusive DRM than ever before.

No issue here.

Quote:
This isn't a conspiracy,

No one said it was.

Quote:
it is fact that these things have happened because of people saying this garbage with no repercussions when they're ignorant or at worst arrogant.

So he's not allowed to express annoyance on his personal twitter account when a large number of people who have been misinformed or mislead lay into him or his work or the company that he works for? Because a minority of people might not be smart enough to know his 140 character post isn't meant to be directed at them?

Quote:
I do not want to see things get worse for us as a gaming community so yes I will speak up to this sort of harassment and profiling because it is wrong, even if you don't think so.

Taking my post out of context again, technically no issue with the first part however, your "post" will generate direct harassment at Alex, whether you want it to or not, people will read it as an excuse to lay into him because you misrepresented what he said. And that is FAR worse then big corporations making sweeping generalizations.



Here is a fair and balanced way to write that post:
On the day of Far Cry 4's release there was a large number of people deciding to take Ubisoft to task over the lack of an FoV slider, however a day one patch for the game that anyone who bought the game and had an internet connection to update it with would of had installed, added the FoV. This lead Creative Director Alex Hutchinson to post the following tweet [citation here].
The problem is this tweet didn't take into account the fact that on multi-monitor systems, the FoV option is actually still disabled, this was later confirmed by Ubisoft [citation here].
While it's unlikely Alex was directing his tweet at the multi-monitor community, or even knew the issue existed at the time he posted it, it's still a shame to see a developer make a sweeping statement that could be seen to paint people who have legitimate complains with people who are ether ignorant, misinformed, or just looking for a reason to be angry.

_________________
: ) Skid : )
My Multi-Monitor Focused YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/SkidIncGaming
My Twitch channel which I've been known to stream on from time to time: http://www.twitch.tv/SkidInc
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 11:18 
Offline
I Donated
I Donated
User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2010, 02:58
Posts: 264
Skid wrote:

Here is a fair and balanced way to write that post:
On the day of Far Cry 4's release there was a large number of people deciding to take Ubisoft to task over the lack of an FoV slider, however a day one patch for the game that anyone who bought the game and had an internet connection to update it with would of had installed, added the FoV. This lead Creative Director Alex Hutchinson to post the following tweet [citation here].
The problem is this tweet didn't take into account the fact that on multi-monitor systems, the FoV option is actually still disabled, this was later confirmed by Ubisoft [citation here].
While it's unlikely Alex was directing his tweet at the multi-monitor community, or even knew the issue existed at the time he posted it, it's still a shame to see a developer make a sweeping statement that could be seen to paint people who have legitimate complains with people who are ether ignorant, misinformed, or just looking for a reason to be angry.



Yes, this is how I would have liked to read it. :clap:


Anyway, i been pulling my hair about trying to make the FOV ok...
Not so much luck, found a value I could edit, that changed the Surround FOV, but it get written back to default. When blocking the action that writes to it i get the FOV to go back and fourth like a ping pong ball... my assembler knowledge is to thin here.

And no mention of a FOV fix for us in the 1.4 update either. :doh:
We probably need a Widescreenfixer Fix or Flawless Widescreen Fix for this.
:savews:

_________________
| i7 6850K Broadwell-e @4.2Ghz | DDR4 32GB @3200Mhz| 2x Msi 1080 X | Asus X99 Deluxe II /H110i/AX1200iw |
| 3x Dell P2314H @ 5760x1080 + Philips 43" 4K IPS BDM4350UC Monitor + Oculus Rift CV1 |
| 1*Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe x4 gen.3 | 2x Intel SSD SATA III Raid 0 | 2x Intel SSD SATA III Raid 0 | 2x 2TB SSHD Seagate SATA III Raid 0 |
| Logitech G810 - G502 - G240 - G27 - G940 - | TrackIR 5 Pro | Saitek RHINO X55 HOTAS | Xbox One Elite Gpad |
Asus Vulcan Pro | Asus Xonar U7 | Sony STR-DE495P External Surround Home Cinema Reciever |


Last edited by anteronoid on 21 Nov 2014, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 11:26 
Offline
Insiders
Insiders
User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2010, 13:39
Posts: 761
I seriously doubt they will fix it - the game is riddled with "offscreen" quirks, like models disappearing and appearing (eg. not ment to be seen) - I'd say they've clamped the FOV in an attempt to limit that, might be wrong, clearly an after thought tho.

Game also has some form of executable integrity checking, so modifying the EXE in memory just causes it to crash after a short period of time, similar to Borderlands 1

Image
Image

_________________
Resident Jester - Flawless Widescreen - Widescreen gaming the way it should be.
[Steam Profile]

Want to keep Flawless Widescreen alive? Donate Here


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Far Cry 4
PostPosted: 21 Nov 2014, 11:35 
Offline
I Donated
I Donated
User avatar

Joined: 10 Nov 2010, 02:58
Posts: 264
Your are probably right Hayden, they don't want us to see that. Then they would have floods of bug reports about it. :wtf:

It doesn't crash when i fiddle with the process in memory with CheatEngine though.

The screenshoots looks nice, is it fixable? :onethumb:
Also the Weapon/Hands FOV is a bit narrow like in FC3.

_________________
| i7 6850K Broadwell-e @4.2Ghz | DDR4 32GB @3200Mhz| 2x Msi 1080 X | Asus X99 Deluxe II /H110i/AX1200iw |
| 3x Dell P2314H @ 5760x1080 + Philips 43" 4K IPS BDM4350UC Monitor + Oculus Rift CV1 |
| 1*Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe x4 gen.3 | 2x Intel SSD SATA III Raid 0 | 2x Intel SSD SATA III Raid 0 | 2x 2TB SSHD Seagate SATA III Raid 0 |
| Logitech G810 - G502 - G240 - G27 - G940 - | TrackIR 5 Pro | Saitek RHINO X55 HOTAS | Xbox One Elite Gpad |
Asus Vulcan Pro | Asus Xonar U7 | Sony STR-DE495P External Surround Home Cinema Reciever |


Top
  
 
 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot] and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  




Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group