Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 18:32 

Hello, I started working on a NOLF2 widescreen fix and im looking for people to test it.
My ultimate goal is to make the game work on widescreens without manual editing but im not sure if i will get that far.

This is the first version, it allows you to pick widescreen resolutions in the display options: mediafire
To install, put the "WidescreenResolutions" Folder into the "Custom\Mods" directory and activate it under "Custom" in the launcher.

The original cshell.dll displayed only 4:3 resolutions in the options menu. I simply removed the check and recompiled it.
Next i will try to align the subtitles and tooltips etc. for 16:9 resolutions.

Attachments:
Nolf2_Widescreen_alpha.rar [575.88 KiB]
Downloaded 1497 times

Last edited by Wobak on 03 Jan 2014, 10:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 04:53 
Editors
Editors

:welcome
Wobak

Thanks for sharing your work! Do you have plans to support resolutions besides 16:9?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 09:59 
Insiders
Insiders

Wobak wrote:
To install, put the Folder with the .rez file in it into the "Custom\Mods" folder and activate it in the launcher.

.rez file should be placed into "Custom\Mods\widescreen\widescreen.rez"
Because if .rez file placed in "Custom\Mods\widescreen.rez", then the Custom button does not appear in the game launcher:
Attachment:
Custom.png
Custom.png [ 92.58 KiB | Viewed 27586 times ]

When .rez file is located in the correct folder, Custom button appears:
Attachment:
Custom_on.png
Custom_on.png [ 108.01 KiB | Viewed 27585 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 10:23 

yes, the rez file needs to be in a folder within "Mods", thats why i wrote the folder containing the rez file should be put into mods. i will formulate it differently in the first post to make it more understandable.

on another note:
ive moved the subtitles etc. and scaled down most texts in the menus. except for a few lists the elements dont go off the screen anymore and that should work with 16:10 aswell.

for multi monitor setups im not sure. most interface elements are positioned relative to the screen top ignoring the aspect ratio, so with a bigger width a larger portion is cut off at the bottom.

Edit:
I found the 1st person fov variables and the code was easier to edit than i expected. The game now saves the (horizontal) FOV in the display.cfg and it can be edited there. the vertical fov is calculated automatically.
Here is version 2 of the widescreen patch:

Features:
-Pickable widescreen resolutions ingame.
-Set horizontal field of view in display.cfg, vertical fov is calculated automatically.
optimized for 16:9:
-Interface texts scaled down so they dont overlap anymore.
-Subtitles etc moved up and are now visible in widescreen.

Known problems:
-The cutscene FOV is still the same
-Some lists in menus still go off the screen
-The "Back" button is still not visible even though it should be
-The popups (notes, intel etc.) have the wrong aspect, i havent found another way to prevent them from going off the screen yet

Download from here

I only tested the patch on 16:9 aspect, so i would appreciate feedback on how it works with 16:10 or other aspect ratios

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 18:49 

Hey Wobak

Really cool to see some love for those old games! I even found my old NOLF2 CD case and it's still working. :rockout:

As for some testing, whenever I try to start the game with 1920x1200 (16:10) it crashes on the loading screen. It works when using 1920x1080.

Cheers
- Revy

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 19:47 

thanks for the feedback. :) the loading, especially of cutscenes seems to be a little unstable to me. maybe thats because im making "release" and not "final" builds...
can you try to load/start a game with 16:10 a few more times?
if it still crashes can you try manually setting the resolution in the display.cfg and launch a game without the patch?

status update:
i got the cutscenecameras to adjust to the fov so there is no more stretching.
im now messing around with the menu fov, i corrected it so that the backgrounds arent stretched anymore but it now has black bars on the side :-/

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 03:35 

Wobak wrote:
thanks for the feedback. :) the loading, especially of cutscenes seems to be a little unstable to me. maybe thats because im making "release" and not "final" builds...
can you try to load/start a game with 16:10 a few more times?
if it still crashes can you try manually setting the resolution in the display.cfg and launch a game without the patch?

Well I tried it multiple times and also with a save after all the cutscenes but that didn't work either. I've also already changed the resolution through display.cfg. When I use 1920x1080 it works fine by using letterboxing.

Cheers
- Revy

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 12:01 

ok..thats weird :-/ i only removed the 4:3 check of the resolutions the game gets from the renderer, so they must all be valid.
I can play with all the resolutions the game suggests, even the weird ones like 5:3. when i set a 16:10 resolution in the display.cfg its reset ingame because the renderer doesnt support it so i cant test if it works for me.
do all the other non 16:10 resolutions work for you?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 12:30 
Editors
Editors

Hey Wobak, did you try contacting redrain85 ? He's the author of the Killer App Mod for Tron 2.0, and has extensive knowledge of the LithTech engine. He hasn't visited here in a while, but you could probably reach him through LDSO.net or ModDB.

All the links in the DR: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/tron-20

Nice going anyway :onethumb:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 14:36 

thanks for the info! i didnt know about that because i never played tron.

i changed one global variable to remove all stretching issues. sadly its also used for positioning so i now have to manually change the basepositions of all elements.

has anyone else tested the fix with 16:10 resolution?