Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Blockland Widescreen Fix
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 05:53 

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my findings on the game Blockland and the simple fix to get it working with any widescreen system.

Native Behaviour

The game is normally Vert- as you can see from the screenshots below.

(1680x1050)

(1600x900)

The Fix

There is hope, however. A simple console command allows you to set whatever FOV value you prefer...
Code:
setdefaultfov("100 100 100");

Note that "100 100 100" is the default value. I, for instance, use "140 140 140" at my resolution of 6060x1080 (Bezel corrected resolution).

Below are images that show how bad the Vert- behavior can be at 5760x1080 vs. a "typical" resolution of 1440x900.

(5760x1080 without the fix)

(5760x1080 with the fix)

The Game

I realize the game probably isn't well known, it being an indie game and all. The slogan of the game sums it up perfectly; "The game where you build stuff". If you enjoyed playing with LEGO as a kid (or still do) then you may find BL to be quite an interesting game. It is certainly a good time-waster should you need one, and there are plenty of creative elements that are available for use. If you want to know more and/or purchase the game you can find it at http://www.blockland.us.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 09:52 
Editors
Editors

Great stuff 8)
I suppose there is some kind of editor besides the 3rd-person exploration mode, is it Hor+ as well ? How do 2D interface elements/tools fare in widescreen (if any) ?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 09:06 

Great stuff 8)
I suppose there is some kind of editor besides the 3rd-person exploration mode, is it Hor+ as well ? How do 2D interface elements/tools fare in widescreen (if any) ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "editor", but the ability to place/manipulate bricks is indeed the key part of the game, and is Hor+ if you use the console command I mentioned earlier.

All 2D elements fare well in Widescreen. They are not stretched, but are placed at the far edges of the screen.

There is a free demo on his site so you can try out the widescreen fix and a bit of the game itself. The two limitations of the Demo is that you can only use 150 bricks, and there is no multiplayer. The full game allows you to build with up to 128,000 bricks, and 32 players online or over LAN. If you use a LAN connection, only one person needs a valid key, all of your friends can join your server and play the full game with you using just the demo.