Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 10:17 
Editors
Editors

Merging done.
I think we all totally understand your concerns and appreciate both your work and spilling the beans :bowdown
You have to be aware that the WSGF focuses on minimal solutions to achieve satisfactory widescreen gaming (basically how to play at any res and adjust the FOV), with little regard for any other additions/modifications to the rest of a game's original content. That being said, it is obvious that the Killer App Mod does a lot more for sheer widescreen support than what could be achieved with a a .ini edit here and a console command there. So have no fear - we'll probably keep the whole mod as the easiest, most complete and thus "officially endorsed" solution for these games ;)

Found my Tron 2.0 disc, will try to post an updated DR in a couple days...

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 23:11 

the Killer App Mod does a lot more for sheer widescreen support than what could be achieved with a a .ini edit here and a console command there
It does, yup. One thing I didn't mention is that I had to fix some of the cutscenes. There were certain scenes where characters were hiding just offscreen with the original FOV, waiting to appear. With the new FOV, you could see them standing there like statues. Or when a character would walk offscreen, it would disappear long before it reached the edge. So, in addition to hacking the maps to change the FOVs, further edits were required. The only way to fix all these issues was through a mod.

So have no fear - we'll probably keep the whole mod as the easiest, most complete and thus "officially endorsed" solution for these games ;)

Found my Tron 2.0 disc, will try to post an updated DR in a couple days...
Thank you. Appreciated. :D

If you need any help with testing it, give me a shout. I can assist with making it easier to test in the different aspect ratios.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 01 May 2010, 22:24 
Editors
Editors

Excellent work, redrain85! I also really appreciate your willingness to share your development process.

One question: how did you discover the various fov commands? Was it by searching the cshell.dll file? (I just checked the file on my system and see that they are in there)

Some time ago I attempted a fix for Tron but didn't get anywhere. This information escaped me at the time and I'm very happy to learn from your process.

Once again, bravo. I can't wait to install and play the mod.

PostPosted: 02 May 2010, 10:21 

The news about the Killer App mod made me realise that I never did manage to get my hand on Tron 2.0, and I started looking hoping to get lucky and find a copy somewhere.
Guess what?

Thank you, redrain85, your work made me go out and finally hunt down a copy of the game! So thank you, and your entire devteam for your hard work, it will not go by unnoticed!

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 00:51 

The news about the Killer App mod made me realise that I never did manage to get my hand on Tron 2.0, and I started looking hoping to get lucky and find a copy somewhere.
Guess what?

Wow, you are lucky to get a nice looking boxed copy like that. The game is getting harder and harder to find these days. I think the anticipation for the Tron movie sequel is causing people to snap up all the remaining copies of Tron 2.0 out there. I've seen the prices go from under $10 only a few months ago, up to $100 now.

If Disney had any sense, they would re-release the game on GOG.com, or maybe include it as an extra when you buy a Tron DVD.

One question: how did you discover the various fov commands? Was it by searching the cshell.dll file? (I just checked the file on my system and see that they are in there)

You can find them in that file, yup. But it was the released NOLF 2 source code that proved far more useful and illuminating. Since both games use the same version of the Lithtech engine, they probably share about 95% or more of the same code. There are some comments in the source that help to ascertain what everything does.

Again, with NOLF 1, NOLF 2, Contract JACK, AvP 2, etc. the source code is available. I'm surprised no one has bothered to do proper widescreen fixes for these. (Though in the case of AvP 2, the source release was accidental and possessing it is technically illegal. But as new owner of Sierra, Activision doesn't seem to care.)

For Tron 2.0, I had no choice but to go the route I did, because the source code is not available. Unless I wanted to devote a lot more time to learning x86 assembly, and hacking the binaries more extensively.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 02:06 
Editors
Editors

You can find them in that file, yup. But it was the released NOLF 2 source code that proved far more useful and illuminating. Since both games use the same version of the Lithtech engine, they probably share about 95% or more of the same code. There are some comments in the source that help to ascertain what everything does.

I must have missed the source release somehow. Useful stuff indeed. I'll have to add that investigation to my projects list.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2011, 07:56 

I've posted a widescreen patch for NOLF1 here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16848

Once the post is approved, it should even be visible to read!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 03:38 

In a way I guess I'm glad I didn't start on a widescreen mod for NOLF 1, then. Wish you luck lazyhealer, and look forward to the results of your work. :)

There's now a NOLF 2 widescreen mod, too. But Ura's NOLF 1 widescreen mod only supported 16:10 and didn't fix the interface. Don't know if his NOLF 2 mod works better or not. Haven't tried it.

Meanwhile, I'll continue to work on the remaining minor Tron 2.0 widescreen issues. Been making some good progress there.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2011, 12:22 

There's now a NOLF 2 widescreen mod, too. But Ura's NOLF 1 widescreen mod only supported 16:10 and didn't fix the interface. Don't know if his NOLF 2 mod works better or not. Haven't tried it.

Unfortunately, that NOLF2 mod only fixes the main menu. :(

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 19:07 

I've posted a widescreen patch for NOLF1 here:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=16848

Once the post is approved, it should even be visible to read!

This link only goes to a white page. How can I actually get this mod so I can play NOLF in 16.9? I un-installed this great game awhile back when I got my 16.9 monitor cause I could no longer play it in native resolution. If I now can, I will install the game again.