Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Kronner
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 05:35 

[quote]I will try to take a look at this sometime this week.
Thanks for letting me know!

Nice :)
Can't wait for the results!

I don't see a NOLFDLL.REZ in my NOLF GOTY folder to replace. Is there anything that this patch does differently than the URA mod?

BTW, if the stretched weapons in 1st-person view ever get fixed, that would be awesome!

Just copy it to your NOLF dir, and then when launching the game, do not click "Launch" right away, but go to "Advanced" and add "-rez NOLFDLL.REZ" to the Command Line box. Also, make sure that "Always specify these command-line parameters" is checked - so you do not have to set anything the next time you launch the game.

And yes, this mod works like a charm. It is much better than the URA's mod.

It would be good to put this in the mod readme as it's not there. Also not mentioned in the readme is you have to go to the autoexec.cfg and manually put in the desired screen width and screen height.

Post subject: Actually, the game is
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2011, 15:23 

EDIT: Never mind. While the game will automatically load NOLFDLL.REZ, it loads it in the wrong order. It needs to be loaded last in order to take effect. So the commandline has to be used.

TRON 2.0: Killer App Mod - Adds 16:9 and 16:10 widescreen support, game fixes, and much more

BenQ EW2420 | XFX Radeon 6870 1 GB GDDR5 | EVGA GT240 512 MB GDDR5 (Hybrid PhysX) | Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE 3.3 GHz | 4 GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 |

Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | PCP&C Silencer 750W Quad | Coolermaster Elite 330 case | Windows 10 Technical Preview

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2011, 20:08 

My comments after trying this mod. The good is I can now play NOLF that fits my screen (1920x1080).

Really though it's not really a widescreen view, meaning the side to side view is exactly the same as 4:3 with the top cut off. Kinda defeats the benefits of the wide screen view. I'd rather have the wider view even if it did fish boul the sides a bit (I don't notice the effect playing Tron 2 with the Killer App Mod with the wider view) As mentioned the weapons are stretched. The cutscenes are also an issue as the vertical view being less, the tops of heads get cut off, etc.

Just giving constructive feedback from a users standpoint.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2011, 07:52 

Personally I prefer the URA mod because you can switch between 16:10 and 4:3 modes in-game, and in 4:3 mode the weapons/items don't appear stretched. I like this because I can quickly switch modes to see how items (i.e., laser gun, code breaker) are supposed to look.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2011, 22:01 

Ah, nuts. My main computer's motherboard or cpu just bit the dust, so it will be a bit longer before I can poke around with this more.
I'm still looking for the code that would stretch the 1st-person hands / weapon model stuff. I'm also looking for a way to change the resolution in-game. I have it displaying the widescreen resolutions, but then the menus get messed up until you quit and reload.

So, still working on it, but will have to wait a bit to fix my computer.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2011, 01:18 

Sorry to hear about that, lazyhealer. I hope you get your computer back soon. :)

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011, 23:26 

Thanks, Androidmonk!

There were a couple of issues with going widescreen past the 90 degree FOV. The fishbowl effect was way too much to handle, and the zoom hud would have to be replaced (not sure how to do that). I forget if there was anything else to it since I can't play with it at the moment. When I'm able I'll play with that more, as it would probably fix the 1st-person hands/weapon stretching. I'm wondering if they did something goofy like render the hand model stuff to a separate buffer and then draw that in a post-processing step, but that would probably be too slow to do. Alas, it appears that the rendering code is not present in the NOLF1 source. It's probably in a binary dll.

I tried modifying the object loading code to change the scale ratios of the objects as they're loaded into memory, but that did not appear to have any discernible effect.

Ah well, will poke at it again when I can replace the hardware. Oddly enough, I did not smell nor see any magic smoke escaping!

Post subject: Finally! Computer fixed!
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 03:44 

Alrighty, I've finally fixed my computer -- took a 1000 watt power supply for some reason!

I'm super busy nowadays (back to a full-time programming job), but will fiddle with this some more when I have time.

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2011, 12:51 
Editors
Editors

Alrighty, I've finally fixed my computer

Nice. :onethumb

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 15:28 

Just reinstalled NOLF1 and found this thread. Does anyone know what became of this work? I'd love to play it 1680x1050.

P.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next