Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2009, 22:02 

While CoJ:BiB supports widescreen resolutions out of the box, unfortunately, the FOV is one of the worst I've ever seen. If you look under the "Data0.pak" file, in "ChromEdOptions.scr," you'll notice the "DefaultFOV" value is 57!! I've tried changing it to 80 and re-adding it to the Data0.pak file and nothing changed, much to my dismay. The "Video.scr" file under "My Documents" doesn't have any info pertaining to FOV, either.

This game uses an updates version of the "Chrome Engine," similar to what was used in CoJ1. I'm wondering if anyone out there knows how to change the FOV and, even better, also knows how to get rid of the nasty looking bloom (read "blur") effects all over the place!!

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 20:00 

Does it handle widescreen as proper Hor+ ?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2009, 20:17 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, just look around the forum. Someone even made a video showing off triplehead.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 01:48 

Yes, just look around the forum. Someone even made a video showing off triplehead.

Yes, I saw that post/video. It's completely worthless and uninformative. The default FOV is horrible and AFAIK, there's still no fix. If you thought the default FOV on BioShock or CoD4 was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet!

And as a bump/update to this thread, if you want to get rid of bloom, too, you merely have to set "Post Process" to "Simple" (in your Video.scr file). Unfortunately, this also disables HDR lighting. Would be nice to just rid of the ridic and gratuitous blurring.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 10:18 

I played only a part of the first level and yes, the FOV is simply claustrophobic!

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 14:46 
Insiders
Insiders

Rocky, my reply was to capable heart -- not you. ;)

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 15:19 

i had it running in both 1440x900 and 4320x900 and it looks very much vert- to me; at least the ingame scene at the beginning does, before the game freezes ... gotta wait for a patch >.<

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 15:56 

Oh, yes, I should have clarified. I saw the Triple Head video, but still I was not sure. In a particular cutscene, people's heads were being cropped off the top of the frame most of the time, even when they were just standing there and talking to each other. Now I have to figure whether that was an in-engine cutscene or an FMV.I was going to ask about that irregularity but only Mods can reply in the Confirmed Solutions forum. If gameplay is Hor+ but cutscenes are Vert- in Triple Head, what could be the cause?

Edit: Well, I have purchased the game since then, so here we go. For my single display setup:

- 2D menus are stretched to fit for 4:3, 16:9 AND 16:10 -- all three look stretched differently.
- Gameplay is Hor+
- In-engine cutscenes are anamorphic and 16:9

2D Menus are stretched / squished to fit?

Gameplay is Hor+

In-engine cutscenes are anamorphic and 16:9.

The game doesn't let you change resolutions in the middle of gameplay, so it's time-consuming to get to certain cutscenes for comparison. There is an in-engine cutscene with the brothers, a woman and a preacher in the beginning. The scene where the brothers both point their guns at the higher-ranking officer (seen in Robbaz's TH video) appears to be near the end of the first level.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2009, 19:56 

Edit: Well, I have purchased the game since then, so here we go. For my single display setup:

- 2D menus are stretched to fit for 4:3, 16:9 AND 16:10 -- all three look stretched differently.
- Gameplay is Hor+
- In-engine cutscenes are anamorphic and 16:9

Nice. Thanks for the screenshots and analysis, capable heart! Nice to see this game is "Hor+" and the screenshots to confirm this.

As far as FOV goes, I'm still in the midst of trying to figure this one out. So far I've tried adding "DefaultFOVf( 80.000000 )" to DebugConf.scr and Video.scr to no avail. Nothing seems to be working. I'm chatting w/ another dude on another forum who seems to know more about the Data files in this game than me. So, hopefully, we'll have a working solution. Otherwise, I have a bad feeling the FOV is locked :(

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2009, 16:02 

the anamorphic ingame cutsceens become vert- in tripplewide.

also, the duel quickdraw events are vert-, I just see my hip with the holstered gun and the body of the opponent.
its still playable but kind of kills the atmosphere not seeing the head of your enemy.

as mentioned, normal ingame is hor+ which is nice :D

edit : added some screenys