Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 06:02 

I will say, I don't like how in mario's patch, the formerly diverse set of main menu background images has been replaced with non-original edits of the Zeus Victory background. I fixed this by copying the blue fill-in section from one of mario's DATA backgrounds and pasting it over the bottom-right corner of Jackfuste's backgrounds.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2019, 01:53 

Hi Guys, need a little help. trying this widescreen mod and starts up okay but my mouse cursor is offset which makes it unuseable. Actual cursor is down and to the right from where it is shown on screen. Any ideas on causes and how to fix?

Love this game and really wanna play in widesceen.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 07:08 

I've just uploaded an updated version of my Zeus widescreen fix pack. You may download it from the usual location:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/xjdhdr ... ies_files/

The main changes are as follows:
  • Included widescreen resolution patched files that have a Manifest attached. This Manifest tells Windows to not apply DPI scaling to the game and not trigger a UAC prompt.
  • Some back-end changes to the AutoHotkey scripts I've written to reduce the number of variations in the code and provide more options for selecting the file that needs to be edited.
  • I found some foreign language EXEs that JackFuste created in previous posts that I have included in my pack. This consists of 1 Polish, 1 French and 3 Russian resolution options.
  • I also found some EXEs that fixed the UI for certain resolutions. I have included these as well.
  • Included some documents explaining how you can properly report issues in such a way that you are more likely to get help.

I have not included Mario's edits in my pack because I'm not a fan of the way he "fixed" the interface problem on certain resolutions and much prefer the way JackFuste did it.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2019, 09:09 

romainx2 wrote:
If anyone has the same problem as me, you need to change the Scale and layout in the display settings. The scale was 125%, that is why the last quarter of the screen could not be seen. Select 100 % for the scale and it should work.

The latest version of my widescreen fixes pack provides the option of the various widescreen resolutions patched with a Manifest file that tells Windows to not apply DPI scaling to Zeus. If you use that version, you won't have to change that Scale setting.

Pecunia wrote:
Some animation basics:
- Real-time animations are based on (a multiple of) a 20-millisecond update cycle
- Every 20ms, a flag is set for that render-cycle, indicating that the animation can be advanced
- Some figures in the game, notably gods and urchin collectors, use these (real-time) animations to advance their (game-time) actions

This worked well in 2000 when there was one render-cycle per 20ms, such that an animation update coincided with a "game time" advance. With modern hardware, we have multiple render cycles per 20ms interval, causing the game ticks to 'miss' their animation update and thus act incredibly slow.

The 0x64 (100) is the parameter that tells the game: "advance this figure ONLY if the animation should advance as well". Since that no longer works properly with today's hardware, I changed it to "0", meaning: "always advance". Somehow this worked perfectly well gameplay-wise, so it was an easy patch to make. Finding this bug, however, took me about half a year of reading assembly, plus a year of trying to get GOG to incorporate my fixes in the official distribution ("our techs will look at it soon", "really, it'll be soon"), before giving up and releasing it myself.

Thank you very much for fixing the bug and the explanation.

Han Solo wrote:
In the French language, there are many accents (especially é, è, à), and these do not display well.
From memory I always had this problem with the resolutions in HD but not 16 years ago ( :crazy: ) with the original game.

Here, on the first button the "î" becomes a "Ì" which in addition is shifted upwards.
The "à" becomes a "Ó" (The most serious problem because the letter is not even the good one and the "à" is very used in french, it's like "to" in english)
And all "é" are good but again they are higher than the other letters.

I note that in the game the problem is identical in the messages received by the player, and in the left menu some accents are good, some are not ...

Any ideas ? it looks like a problem of encoding but it seems complicated to fix ...

You're welcome. Sorry for the late reply but as for your problem, it's because the English version of Zeus (which most of the widescreen patches are based on) don't have code for properly handling those characters. Thus, one has to make a widescreen version using the French EXE to fix this problem. I did find that JackFuste created a 1080p version of the French EXE which I have included in my latest widescreen pack. Problem with this one is that I wasn't able to apply the animation patch to it because the addresses that need to be hex edited are very different to the English version and I have no idea how to find these addresses. Also, that version crashes on start with my Zeus install. Not sure if the EXE is broken or if it's looking for something that is only present in the French version. So you will have to choose either fixed animations or fixed characters.

That said, hopefully someone can fix the animations in that version of Zeus.

Amun Nefer wrote:
Second edit: No more CTD with XJDHDR's patch, just the map stays the same size and most of Anatolia is missing! Looks hilarious, but manageable now!

So which game is this? Can you please include a screenshot of the problem?

mario wrote:
I've also added the notes that I've found while trying to make ultrawide possible. With these notes you should be able to do any other resolution (hopefully).
Took me one month to finish the game and the expansion, and the experience was phenomenal. Great 2D art never gets old. Enjoy!

mario wrote:
ultrawide fix, notes to make other resolutions and new title screen.
For the other two building games I don't have the time no more, but if I could do it (only by using Total Commander's "Compare by content" command to check for differences in the fixes done by Jackfuste) than anyone could do it.
Especially now with these notes and the games having the same engine. The addresses will be different but at least you will have an idea about what needs to be changed.

[!] Forgot to add this to Zeus notes: The game crashes if the viewport is bigger than the resolution. Check that first!!!

Thank you for your explanation of what you did. I read through your notes and I have a question:
Code:
addr 18e2c8: 0d 01 [vw vw] 00 00 c7 05  (viewport width)
// [vw vw]=[ca 06] => 1738px for 1920p
// [vw vw]=[22 09] => 2338px for 2560p
i.e. (VW VW = width - 182)

Where did you get these numbers from? Why did you use 1738px for 1920p and 2338px for 2560p?

Andehh wrote:
I am struggling to get this working for Pharaoh+Cleopatra.

I have steam Version, on windows 10 64bt but despite hours of trying every combination of Pharaoh.exe and cleopatra.exe and different resolutions etc I can't get the game to accept it. I have searched YouTube, steam forums & here but have been unable to fix it. Tried fresh installs, fresh downloads etc etc but still cant get it to work! :(

I replace the .exe, load up the game & select the highest resolution the game allows right? And it should just change?

Can you please explain the problem better and possibly include screenshots? What does "I can't get the game to accept it" mean?

uber86 wrote:
I have searched everywhere, but I couldn't find a 1280x720 fix for Caesar 3. Does anyone have it?

There is no 1280xanything resolution for Caesar 3.

batrat44 wrote:
gift

<Pharaoh 2160p EXE>

Thanks for the contribution. What is the difference between what you've created and what would be created by Crudelios' Pharaoh Resizer?

Salvia wrote:
Can pharaoh (and maybe other) games be made to run in 1920x1920?

Also, can someone give us the source files for making our own resolutions etc?

I'm sure someone who knows what they're doing could make it happen. As for source code, Crudelios' created a program called the Pharaoh Resizer which can create a copy of Pharaoh's EXE at whatever resolution you want and the source code for it is available. Mario also explains in his patched EXEs a few posts above yours how to make Zeus and Emperor run in widescreen resolutions. Otherwise, there isn't really any source code.

Pecunia wrote:
For Caesar 3, you can also use Julius, a drop-in open source replacement for Caesar 3 which supports every resolution.

Nice find, thanks! Do you know if there are any disadvantages to using Julius versus the original C3?

eisspray wrote:
Hello! If i start my Pharao + Cleopatra the Pic will be to big for my screen that i cant start any mission to change the settings i download it from Steam and tryed some but nothing work so what can i do ? :(

Can you please take a screenshot of the problem?

fakenamebill wrote:
Is anyone working on a new HD patch for Zeus/Poseidon? The Zeus patch works fine technically speaking, but it has some really annoying graphical quirks. There's a large section at the bottom of the control panel that gets replaced with part of some random background image (olives?), and the filled-in section of the top bar isn't even the same color as the rest of it. It looks like some very early HD fixes for Pharaoh and the other games, and those games have since received newer patches that actually look like the game was meant to run at a high resolution. I understand that given the differences in the UI coding between Zeus and the other games it may be more difficult to make a smooth-looking HD patch, but there HAS TO be a way to make it look better than the one we have now.

I found a few widescreen versions of the game while combing through this thread that have a fixed interface which seem to have been forgotten. I've included them in my widescreen pack.

sgtbuff wrote:
Hi Guys, need a little help. trying this widescreen mod and starts up okay but my mouse cursor is offset which makes it unuseable. Actual cursor is down and to the right from where it is shown on screen. Any ideas on causes and how to fix?

Can you please take a screenshot of the problem?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2019, 17:39 

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your efforts.
Now I can enjoy the Pharaoh, Zeus and Emperor in 1920x1080.
This games remind me about the time when I was much younger and thinner :)

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2019, 18:33 

I joined because GamerZakh says to come here to wsgf.org to get the download to do CaesarIII, Pharaoh/Cleopatra, Emperor, etc WIDESCREEN. I wanted 1920 x 1080 but I can't see where to download these. Looking for Pharaoh 'Crudelious' but I simply can't find where these downloads are. (Windows 7, Custom Built PC can handle anything...don't like being in the 'cloud' so won't use anything beyond Windows 7) All these games purchased from GOG.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 04:42 

@LadyDaisyDew
If you look at my last post 3 posts above yours, you can find the widescreen fixes for all four games.

Also...
LadyDaisyDew wrote:
(Windows 7, Custom Built PC can handle anything...don't like being in the 'cloud' so won't use anything beyond Windows 7)

Windows 10 with local account. Problem solved!

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 12:30 

mario wrote:
For anyone looking to play Zeus in widescreen (1920x1080p) or ultrawide (2560x1080p) you should be using my version based on Jackfuste work.
It fixes the top menu and the right sidebar with photoshop elements, and it works because the game doesn't refresh those areas.
I've also added the notes that I've found while trying to make ultrawide possible. With these notes you should be able to do any other resolution (hopefully).
Took me one month to finish the game and the expansion, and the experience was phenomenal. Great 2D art never gets old. Enjoy!
:Download:
Zeus_1920x1080_2560x1080_gog_en.zip
https://www68.zippyshare.com/v/cJETu4qQ/file.html

Any chance you can re-upload these? The links are dead for both Zeus and Emperor

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019, 05:10 

Hazuki wrote:
Any chance you can re-upload these? The links are dead for both Zeus and Emperor

My Zeus fixes pack contains both of those resolutions: https://sourceforge.net/projects/xjdhdr-random-code/files/Game_related_files/City_Building_Strategy_Games_Series_files/
For Emperor, I don't have 2560x1080 (yet).

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019, 15:53 

Hello,
Has anyone got Pharaoh to work at 3440x1440 rex? Thanks- I tried with the Resizer app but not working :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 434 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44  Next