Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fallout 1 and 2
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2006, 11:27 

I have a 16:10 TFT Monitor (1440x900) and looking for a solution to play Fallout 1 and 2 with the correct Aspect Ratio. The Games Resolution are fixed at 640x480.

Maybe someone knows a hack or something.

Post subject: Thanks Lucas80 Jodokast,
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 14:42 
Editors
Editors

Thanks Lucas80 Jodokast, could you possibly create a DR for Fallout with these informations - http://widescreengamingforum.com/node/add/dr ?

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 14:42 

i just purchased Fallout 1 on steam & was dissapointed that the widescreen solution for the game has not been posted on here before

as far as i know the game can be set to any resolution & will work on any version

IMPORTANT
if you dont have the steam version you dont need to rename "falloutw.exe"

THE FIX LISTED BELOW IS ONLY FOR FALLOUT 1. HOWEVER, FALLOUT 2 HAS A SIMILAR PROCESS

You can get the Hi-Res mod to work on Steam's version, and it is very nice once it does work. However it does require that you change some files in the Fallout installation directory.

The Hi Res patch for Fallout AND Fallout2 has been around forever. But the Steam versions of the games have custom .exe files which trip-up the Hi-Res mod's installation. So in order to get the High Res mod to work, you need to download two files and rename one existing file.

Since this Hi-Res upgrade really made the game nice to play for me, here are those instructions for anyone else who loves these games the way I do:

Next, you need to convert your falloutw.exe to look like the standard version of the exe. To do this, go to your Fallout install directory (...steamsteamappscommonfallout). Find the "falloutw.exe" and RENAME it to "falloutwBACKUP.exe". Just right-click on it and choose "Rename"

Now, you need to download the semi-official 1.2 patch: http://teamx.ru/system/files/uploads....2.1-EN-RC.rar. Yes, this is a russian-language site dedicated to several games. Fallout is one of the games they work with. Anyway, download that file, and extract it to your game install directory. This will overwrite several files. Actually, it fixes a few small bugs and missing dialog that are not already resolved in the patched Steam version of the game. THIS WILL ADD IT'S OWN COPY OF THE FALLOUTW.EXE. This is required to get the Hi-Res patch to work, as this falloutw.exe is recognized as the patched 1.2 version while the steam falloutw.exe is not recognized at all by the Hi-Res mod.

Once you have extracted the patch you downloaded above into your Fallout game folder, the Hi-Res patch will install correctly. Now, go get the Hi-Res Mod here: http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/dlo...d&file_id=1273

Follow the instructions in the RAR file to install it. Check the readme instructions for the hi-res patch to change the resolution to whatever you like. My monitor resolution is 1920x1200, but many aspects of the game are too small at that res (loot on the ground is impossible to see). I would recommend 1280x800.

That's it. It works like a champ. The black screen issue is still there, but there are many workarounds out there for that issue, and that issue has nothing to do with the hi-res patch.

Post subject: yeah ok
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 15:39 

yeah ok

that new system of adding games you guys have now is fair sweet, its late & im going to bed but tomorrow i will add a bunch of other games i have changed to widescreen that are not listed on here :)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2011, 16:11 
Editors
Editors

Hey thanks, youre welcome, the two links you posted in the Fallout DR seem to be broken, could you please check them later ? Cheers.

Edit: Ive fixed the links.