Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Starship Troopers
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 01:25 

Thanks for checking it out, guess we might never know what it means since as noted there isn't much you could call 'support' out there from the developer or publisher.

While we have this modest little thread about this game, here's another useful hint.

Add these to your program shortcut to skip all the intro movies and the movie that plays under the main menu. Makes loading and getting into the game a ton faster.

Example:

"H:StrangeliteStarship TroopersSTGame.exe" -nouimovie -skipmov

Anyone else noticed the absurdly long load and save times? Quick save and quick load are mislabelled, that's for sure.

I agree the game engine doesn't deliver enough visual punch to justify it's relatively low performance. On my high-end system at 1600x1200 and 2x AA the game runs great but if I turn on even the slightest shadows it becomes laggy. Shame as the shadows add a lot to the atmosphere.

Overall I am enjoying playing the game. There are some truly awesome mass-bug-destruction moments that are way more satisfying than the poor reviews of this game would lead you to believe.

Post subject: Starship Troopers
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2006, 04:22 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for checking it out, guess we might never know what it means since as noted there isn't much you could call 'support' out there from the developer or publisher.

You guys are right about that. I tried emailing Empire Interactive's tech support. After two days I got an auto-generated FAQ. Never got a response from a human. It's almost as if they know how poorly optimized (or coded) this engine is. :wink:

Despite this and its poor critical reception I still may play through it, just b/c i've always wanted a video game based upon the Starship Troopers movies.

"H:StrangeliteStarship TroopersSTGame.exe" -nouimovie -skipmov

Anyone else noticed the absurdly long load and save times? Quick save and quick load are mislabelled, that's for sure.

Thx for the hint. I think we should use this thread to share tips like that in order to make our play experience as hassle free as can be expected from this game.

And yes, I agree, it does have a charm of its own. I bet you if it was released to the open source community they could take this engine and make it shine.