Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 May 2024, 02:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Colin McRae Rally 4
PostPosted: 06 Mar 2004, 08:25 

What display device are you guys running this game in? I have a Sanyo Z2 front projector which is 1280x720 native and I can't seem to get it working except for in full screen mode. The best I can get is the 1024x768 mode.

When I change the reg settings to 1280x720 (decimal), all I get is a blank screen, and then it drops me back to my desktop. Change it to the 1024x768 mode and it works fine, except for the squish factor.

Anything else involved in getting this to work in widescreen mode?

Thanks,

Darren

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2004, 06:13 

What display device are you guys running this game in? I have a Sanyo Z2 front projector which is 1280x720 native and I can't seem to get it working except for in full screen mode. The best I can get is the 1024x768 mode.

When I change the reg settings to 1280x720 (decimal), all I get is a blank screen, and then it drops me back to my desktop. Change it to the 1024x768 mode and it works fine, except for the squish factor.

Anything else involved in getting this to work in widescreen mode?

Thanks,
Darren

Does your desktop support 1280x720? If not, what video card are you using? You might have to get something like Powerstrip or Rage3D to make a working widescreen resolution. Then your games will support it.

By the way here is proof that it supports 1280x720...and yes I meant to drive into the lake. :wink: Colin McRae Rally

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2004, 08:18 

I have PowerStrip already running my desktop at 1280x720. My setup is as follows:

P4 2.6Ghz 800fsb HT Pentium
Sapphire 9800 Pro Video card
1 Gig 3500 Mem
Sanyo Z2 OEM (actually its a Studio Experience 2HD) connected via DVI cable

I have Power Strip running and use it all the time for watching DVD's in 1280x720.

When I change the registry to use 1280 and 720 (decimal), and then run the game, the screen goes black, I get a heads up of Power Strip settings in the top right corner saying 1280x720, and then nothing. Bringing up the Task Manager I can see that a FATAL ERROR has occured which seems to prevent the game from running in 1280x720 :cry: . If I change that to 1024 and 768, then the game works fine, a bit squished, but still fine.

Being a European Game, would the verticle freq be 50Hz instad of 60hz? Can someone check what scan rate they have when running the game? Could some one also check to see what res the menu screens are? I'm interested to see if they are 1280x720 as well.

Thanks for the help...

Darren

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2004, 15:36 

The game and menu both support 1280x720. I have my 1280x720 resolution locked at 60Hz. Do you have any problems running 800x600 or 640x480 just in case it is one of the resolutions that the pre-menu "ad" screen plays at? I used to have a proble displaying menus with other resolutions on my projector, so I made a list of games that allow you adjust both the game and menu resolutions: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347573

I have a Radeon 9800pro and mostly use the Rage3D.com tweek specifically made for Radeons to set my refresh rates, and custom resolutions.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2004, 16:24 

I forgot to mention I am running Windows XP Pro.

All of the built in modes (640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768) all work fine, with it being slightly squished on my display. If I enter a lower 16:9 setting such as 856x480, they do not work at all either. It looks like all widescreen settings fail.

Using the built in modes, my desktop changes from 1280x720 to the set resolution to play, and then jumps back to 1280x720 when I exit the game. I can see the pre-game advertisments when using the built in modes.

Has any one running this game successfully run it in widescreen mode using PowerStrip? Maybe this is the issue.

When I do input a 16:9 resolution into the registry, and then run the game, the screen goes black and if I bring up the Task Manager I can see a System Fault windows has appeared (can't see it due to the black screen) which then clears back to the desktop after closing the fault window down using the Task Manager.

PowerStrip sounds like it may be the culript here.... If any one has successfully run this game in widescreen mode using PowerStrip, please speak up!

Darren

P.S. I'll take a look at Rage3D tonight and see if that makes a difference...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2004, 16:46 

Here is how I did it.

I used powerstrip to make the 1280x720 using their DVI custom one. When I did this I was able to get 1280x720 at 60Hz and on my projector it was a true 1280x720. Under your advanced settings>display uncheck the setting that say resize to fit screen.

Once I got 1280x720 I found that I could no longer get 800x600 or 640x480 working by selecting them in the display settings. I found that they only worked if I set the refresh rate to 72Hz for them in the advanced settings. I could lock this refresh rate with Powerstrip, but the Rage3D tweek fixed this by right clicking on the resolution and picking the refresh rate.

If you try to use just the Rage3D to make the 1280x720, I found that my projector still read it as a 1280x1024 and that I needed to switch to dotxdot in order to get the proper aspect. This caused problems with the other resolutions as well, so my perfect fix was with the combo of Powerstrip and Rage3D.

If you have a game like Unreal 2 or UT2004 (demo download) you can edit both the game and menu resolution. This is the easiest game to edit and if this does no work, then you know that there is a problem with the resolution setting and not the game demo.

I too have Windows XP pro, 9800pro with cat 4.2 drivers, a Sharp Z10,000 DLP2 projector connected via DVI. Once you get this working you may want to add 960x720. This will give you 4:3 without any squishing and loss of resolution since 720 is native.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2004, 22:42 

Spent some time looking at the Rage3D Tweak and PowerStrip and I've come to the conclussion that they are not the problem.

Ever since getting the projector I have been running in 1280x720 mode for the 1:1 pixel mapping using PowerStrip. I know this is working as PowerStrip reports that my resolution is 1280x720, and so does the Display properties. My DVD's look normal so I am quite confident that I am in the 1280x720 mode.

Looked into what the error I was receiving was when running CMR4 in widescreen mode and it comes up saying "Mode not supported". In detail, here is what I am experiencing:

I start off with my desktop in 1280x720 resolution. I edit the reg so that the height says 720 decimal, and the width says 1280 decimal. I then exit the reg editor and run CMR4. Immediately the screen goes black, and I can see some "static lines" quickly pass by. These lines look like the lines you see when you change resolutions. The screen stays black and the PowerStrip settings appear in the corner saying 1280x720, and then nothing happens. I press my windows key to bring up the Task Manager and look at what is running. There are two applications going, one being CMR4 and another called Fatal Error. If I click on the Fatal Error and request that it be maximized, it appears on the black screen with "Mode not supported" written inside it. I click on the OK button, and both the error and CMR4 application disappear, leaving me in the desktop, where PowerStrip again flashes the current resolution of 1280x720 up. :(

I then edit the registry to be 1024x768 and do the same thing. The screen goes black, I see a couple of static lines flash by and then quickly the intro/advertising screens of CMR4 show up, but in 1024x768 mode, so everything is a bit squished. I can play the game and everything works fine. I exit it and I'm back in my desktop at 1280x720 resolution. :?

I even tried changing the desktop to 1024x768 and then running CMR4 in 1280x720 mode but it again came up with the error warning about the non-supported mode.

I then tried using a lower resolution 16:9 856x480 mode within the reg and the error appeared again. It looks like CMR4 will not run in widescreen mode on my computer for whatever reason. No widescreen settings are accepted at all.

If my projector was at fault, then I would expect to see the game running but the projector throwing up a display saying no signal found. This is not occuring. My projector, even with the total black screen, is still receiving a signal from the HTPC. This is proven when I bring Task Manager up and I can see what the error is.

Something is acting weird with the CMR4 program as it is throwing an error and exiting prior to even bringing the advertisements up on screen.

Weird. I left a detailed message with CodeMasters to see if they knew what was going on. Hopefully I will get an intelligent response, and not some remark saying your projector is setup wrong. I do not believe it is.

Any thoughts?

Darren

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 15:13 

First do as I mentioned above:

TRY another GAME! This will determine if it is the demo or something else.

Also check your projector to see what resolution it is in. Powerstrip and Windows may read and look like 1280x720 but your projector may read it as 1024x768 and stretch it to fit?! It did it with me. Also check what resolution your projector is reading when your screen goes black. I sometimes use this function on the projector when watching HD to see if I am getting 1280 or 720.

Lastly make sure your projector is set to PC DVI and not video mode if you have the option.

Once you try these...let me know....I'll be checking in from time to time. ;)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 15:50 

Thanks MaxC,

This weekend I'll give another game a shot, but I'm pretty sure it will work. The projector says it is in 720p mode (which is a standard HDTV mode) in its menus, which according to the manual means 1280x720, so I am pretty sure it is in the right mode.

When the screen goes black, it is still in 720p mode. The error popping up is from CMR4, so it looks like it was trying to go to a different mode but hit a wall and stopped completely. Possible bug in the video driver?

I got a response from CodeMasters. They basically said widescreen mode is not supported so they can not help me. Kind of disappointing, but expected as I remember reading a warning about it when I first looked at the game. Maybe once the final version is released they will support it.

I'm still convinced I have an issue with my computer, and not the PJ. I might just re install the OS some time soon just to clean up some of the messes that have been made switching video drivers trying to get the projector working. It wouldn't surprise me if something really minor broke which is affecting the game.

I also have a PMS PDI Capture Card and XCard combo installed for DVD watching. Wonder if they have anything to do with this.... Might have to do some experiementing over the weekend. Pull some cards out, reinstall the OS... Gotta get this game working!

Later...

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2004, 16:36 

I also have a PMS PDI Capture Card and XCard combo installed for DVD watching. Wonder if they have anything to do with this.... Might have to do some experiementing over the weekend. Pull some cards out, reinstall the OS... Gotta get this game working!

Me Too!!! :D

Maybe you can help with with something then. When I watch DVDs with Dscaler, I ocassionally see a horizontal line flicker across the screen on various movies. I figure it is something with the refresh rate or drop in video mode. Do you ocassionally see this?

I originally had it on Tom's MoComp 2 but have since switched to Automatic pulldown detection and De-judder. It still does it from time to time though. What modes do you use?

Oh, a friend of mine Tigerdave's Wiescreen has Colin working on his TV in widescreen and at the proper aspect, so it is possible even though they do not offically support it yet.