Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 00:14 

Is there a way to assign autoexec.cfg files to shortcuts so that they are activated only if I click the shortcut to open DOOM 3? I play DOOM 3 on my 16:9 tv and my 4:3 monitor, so I want the open to change custom resolutions back and forth without having to open that autoexec.cfg file to change them.

For example, I name 1 file "autoexecwide.cfg" and the other "autoexecreg.cfg" and have them activated by changing the shortcut to something like....

""C:Program FilesGamesDoom 3Doom3.exe" +set autoexecreg.cfg" or
""C:Program FilesGamesDoom 3Doom3.exe" +set autoexecwide.cfg"

that doesn't work, but I think something similar might. I think I have seen this type of thing in other games, but I can't think of which games. Does anybody know if this can work?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 04:46 

autoexec.cfg is just for automatic execution of the .cfg, so there is no reason to put "autoexec" in front of other .cfg files. As for making your shotcuts, I'm pretty sure "+exec wide.cfg" or whatever should work. Alternitively, as long as you don't have r_mode specified in the autoexec.cfg file, "+set r_mode -1" and "+set r_mode 6" or whatever should work as well.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 15:36 
Editors
Editors

I seem to remember the '+exec etc etc' option for Quake 3, so I imagine that they'll use the same method for Doom 3.

An alternative would be to add a lot of switches of the '+seta r_height xxxx +seta r_width yyyy +seta r_mode -1 +seta cg_fov 106' nature...

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 17:18 

I changed names of the cfg files so they don't have "auto" in front. But I don't know how to implement them into the shortcuts. Also, I can't add multiple switches in the shortcuts, it's not working. That hasn't seemed to work since I installed the 1.2 patch, and now the only way to change custom resolutions is through the autoexec.cfg. You can't even change it through doomconfig.cfg anymore.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 18:55 
Editors
Editors

How are you adding the multiple switches? They should be outside of the quotes around the path.

Example time... ;) (I know that this is about Doom 3, I'm using Quake 3 as an example, the rules hold the same for any switches added to command lines.)

If the 'Target:' line in the shortcut tab of the properties panel doesn't have any quotes, just add the switches on the end. Like this:
Code:
D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe

becomes:
Code:
D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe +seta r_mode -1 +seta r_width 1680 +seta r_height 1050 +seta cg_fov 105

While if it does have quotes, it should look like this:
Code:
"D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe"

becomes:
Code:
"D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe" +seta r_mode -1 +seta r_width 1680 +seta r_height 1050 +seta cg_fov 105
(1680 and 1050 are there for example purposes: change them to whatever res you need)

Spaces are very important. If they're in the wrong places, or missing, it won't work.

Hope this helps. Doom 3 is currently languishing in it's box, until I work up some enthusiasm again for wandering around in the dark jumping at the slightest sound. :lol:

You're original idea would have worked, but be careful with the quotes! ;) Try the 'exec_one.cfg' and 'exec_two.cfg' idea with the +exec switch... that might work. Something like:
Code:
"D:Doom3doom3.exe" +exec autoexec.cfg

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 19:09 

How are you adding the multiple switches? They should be outside of the quotes around the path.

Example time... ;) (I know that this is about Doom 3, I'm using Quake 3 as an example, the rules hold the same for any switches added to command lines.)

If the 'Target:' line in the shortcut tab of the properties panel doesn't have any quotes, just add the switches on the end. Like this:
Code:
D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe

becomes:
Code:
D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe +seta r_mode -1 +seta r_width 1680 +seta r_height 1050 +seta cg_fov 105

While if it does have quotes, it should look like this:
Code:
"D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe"

becomes:
Code:
"D:Quake3Arenaquake3.exe" +seta r_mode -1 +seta r_width 1680 +seta r_height 1050 +seta cg_fov 105
(1680 and 1050 are there for example purposes: change them to whatever res you need)

Spaces are very important. If they're in the wrong places, or missing, it won't work.

Hope this helps. Doom 3 is currently languishing in it's box, until I work up some enthusiasm again for wandering around in the dark jumping at the slightest sound. :lol:

You're original idea would have worked, but be careful with the quotes! ;) Try the 'exec_one.cfg' and 'exec_two.cfg' idea with the +exec switch... that might work. Something like:
Code:
"D:Doom3doom3.exe" +exec autoexec.cfg

Yeah I make the switches just like that. I used to do it with 1.1 patch, but 1.2 patch doesn't allow it. But the "+exec execwide.cfg" tag that you gave works. The only problem is that you have to open the file 2 times for it to work. Do you know anyway around this?

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2005, 20:10 
Editors
Editors

Not off the top of my head, sorry... :(