Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2004, 17:28 

I know there is a guide on here that tells you to edit teh cfg file to make it work with widescreen modes however there are about 50 cfg's in the game's folder! and not one has the right file to edit for the custom rez's and FOV's, so what do i do to get it to work?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2004, 18:51 
Editors
Editors

Give a list of names of the config files, then maybe someone can take an educated guess. Or you can open them up and see what they contain. If one contains something like 'seta r_custom' then you've probably found the right file.

I'm not sure what sort of naming convention the coders used in EF2... but the commonest names for the .cfg files are something along the lines of 'config.cfg' or 'autoexec.cfg'. The correct file will usually be in the 'x:gamefolderGameDatabase' directory, but again, it depends.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2004, 19:15 

Give a list of names of the config files, then maybe someone can take an educated guess. Or you can open them up and see what they contain. If one contains something like 'seta r_custom' then you've probably found the right file.

I'm not sure what sort of naming convention the coders used in EF2... but the commonest names for the .cfg files are something along the lines of 'config.cfg' or 'autoexec.cfg'. The correct file will usually be in the 'x:gamefolderGameDatabase' directory, but again, it depends.

in the base there are so many to list but none are custom or autoexec, i checked em all and none are right, there is another folder called global, there are three in there and once again none are correct.

It's weird!

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2004, 20:03 
Editors
Editors

I'll see if I can find a demo and install it.

Might not be able to get back until the weekend. I'm rushed off my feet at the minute...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2004, 21:03 

I'll see if I can find a demo and install it.

Might not be able to get back until the weekend. I'm rushed off my feet at the minute...

Cool thanks! i am desperate to get this issue sorted, its annoying me!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2004, 14:21 
Editors
Editors

OK...

with the demo, there is only one .cfg file. But I guess it holds true for the actual game too. You're looking for a file:
Code:
x:Elite Force 2baseparadigm.cfg

Where 'paradigm' is either your Windows user (who is currently logged in) or the name you put in when Windows asks you for your name during installation: I'm not certain which.

Hope this helps.

Final note... I could get widescreen working, but it messed up the mouse in the menu's. Not sure if it'll do the same in the full version. If you want to know what to edit in the .cfg file, the thread on that is here. Another thing to add is that if a line isn't present, just add it in. :)

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2004, 18:42 

OK...

with the demo, there is only one .cfg file. But I guess it holds true for the actual game too. You're looking for a file:
Code:
x:Elite Force 2baseparadigm.cfg

Where 'paradigm' is either your Windows user (who is currently logged in) or the name you put in when Windows asks you for your name during installation: I'm not certain which.

Hope this helps.

Final note... I could get widescreen working, but it messed up the mouse in the menu's. Not sure if it'll do the same in the full version. If you want to know what to edit in the .cfg file, the thread on that is here. Another thing to add is that if a line isn't present, just add it in. :)

Well it works but it says the resolution is 640x480 in the video menu and the gui in game is squashed, dunno if that is all normal?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2004, 22:08 
Editors
Editors

The misreporting of the res is normal. Quake 3 just leaves the res space blank. I think that's better, but well, it depends on exactly what optimisations the coders made.

As for the stretched HUD, that, too, is normal and is something you can do nothing about. It was designed for 4:3 screens, and as such, all the 2D overlays are going to stretch when you run in widescreen.