Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 19:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2004, 04:37 

Just joined the forum, great place you got here. Look at what I found today at shacknews.com

id Software has decided that they want to do a beta run of the DOOM3 patch before sending it out into wide release. Given that Shackers are oh so known for giving lots of feedback they decided that a release through Shacknews/FileShack was a good place to start. Here are a few highlights of the changes in the 18meg patch, hottest being widescreen support!

GENERAL
- Updated some cvar docs

INTERFACE
- Added toggle functionality to movement commands (i.e. toggle crouch as opposed to holding the button down) - Added in_togglecrouch, in_togglerun, & in_togglezoom
- Fixed g_voteFlags so that spectator and nextmap could be individually toggled
- Made print screen bindable.
- Added mouse wheel scrolling to server list (gui list boxes).

NETWORKING/MULTIPLAYER
- Bumped damage up on rocket jumping in multiplayer
- Decreased damage from chaingun to 25 in multiplayer
- Exploding barrels to full damage to attacker in multiplayer
- Increased height for falling damage in multiplayer
- Made r_skipNewAmbient, r_skipSpecular, r_skipBump, and r_shadows cheat protected
- Made g_fov modifiable in mutiplayer from 90 to 110
- Changed server protocol version from 1.33 to 1.34
- Fixed rocket launcher dealing no splash damage to player at certain angle in Edge 2
- Added join messages when players join an MP game.
- Fixed players stuck spectating when no spectators vote is passed.

RENDERING
- r_aspectRatio now uses 0, 1, or 2 (4:3, 16:9, 16:10)
- Fixed in-game videos disappearing if you go to the menu and return

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2004, 08:25 

Just what i have been waiting for!

I would be interested to see some screen shots of the 3 different options on a widescreen
4.3 (blackbars), 4.3 stretched with increased FOV, and the new patch......
anybody got a spare 30 mins....

Great news though! (also for all the other games in the future that will have the D3 engine. :D

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2004, 11:01 

yesssssss ! 8)

Thanks dude !

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2004, 23:15 
Editors
Editors

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up! :D

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 19:57 

Enabling the widescreen in patch 1.05beta will correctly render a 16:9 image unlike before. However, the HUD will still be stretched with the patch.

Here is the game running at the standard 4:3 aspect ratio. The settings in the DoomConfig.cfg are as follows:

seta r_customHeight "720"
seta r_customWidth "960"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectratio "0"

Here is the game running in widescreen, the settings are:

seta r_customHeight "720"
seta r_customWidth "1280"
seta r_mode "-1"
seta r_aspectratio "1"

With patch 1.05 there is no need to change the FOV setting. Just as before, increasing the FOV setting adds horizontal and vertical information to the screen, producing a distorted image. In the above pics you can see only horizontal information is added, meaning widescreen mode is working correcly. However, note that the HUD remains stretched, even with the patch.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2004, 20:23 
Editors
Editors

The HUD is a 2D overlay, just like every other FPS. I doubt that they'll ever make a HUD that scales with the rest of the screen. One problem would be the GPU time it would chew up for something that remains (relatively) static.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2004, 20:16 

The HUD is a 2D overlay, just like every other FPS. I doubt that they'll ever make a HUD that scales with the rest of the screen. One problem would be the GPU time it would chew up for something that remains (relatively) static.

If the 2D overlays were in a file as a gif/jpeg it would be easy for us to squeeze them in Photoshop and then simply re-saving. I wonder if companies will start making them so that we could easily edit them to our liking? I know that UT2004 lets you resize them and I believe if you go into the cfg file you can find the actual pixel locations of certain objects to re-size or move.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2004, 20:24 
Editors
Editors

If the 2D overlays were in a file as a gif/jpeg it would be easy for us to squeeze them in Photoshop and then simply re-saving. I wonder if companies will start making them so that we could easily edit them to our liking? I know that UT2004 lets you resize them and I believe if you go into the cfg file you can find the actual pixel locations of certain objects to re-size or move.

You can open Quake 3 .pk3 files using winzip. Rename the file in MS-DOS Prompt or the Command Line (start->run->"cmd"->enter) to .zip extension rather than .pk3 and you can get inside to the music, maps files etc. I don't remember the HUD being in .jpg format though. I think they're in some proprietary one, if in a graphics format at all... remember, the HUD has to change as things occur in game... like firing a weapon or losing health...

Once you've finished working in the renamed .pk3 file, of course, return it to it's original extension. ;)

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 19:27 

HELP!!!

I got terrible vision in Doom3 why?? I can't even read the fonts in the menu.

I have Doom 3 original and I've put the patch. I own a 16:10 DPC Nosferatu (Sager 8790,Clevo d870,etc)

Alek

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2004, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

Some more information would make it easier to help. :)