Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004, 17:12 

I saw that someone has released a mod where you can attach a flashlight to your gun in Doom 3, rather than constantly switching between them. I have a feeling this is going to be a rather popular mod. I haven't tried it yet myself so I can't verify whether or not it actually works. Anyway, here's the link:

http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2004, 18:17 

I played around with the equivalent mod for the pistol (this one's just the machinegun), and had some fun with a friend in multiplayer. I'd be reluctant to use it in single player though, because the darkness provides so much tension and anxiety, I wouldn't want to give that up.

Besides, the weapon switching is really fast anyway. Don't forget that hitting F (or whatever you have bound to flashlight) a second time will put you back to what you had out before. So when you're lighting stuff up, be ready to hit it and you can deal with any threat you encounter.

Obviously, I'm not telling you not to use it, but I really don't think the darkness is an impediment to play; it just drives you mad... which is a good thing!

Edit: Oh, and since this doesn't involve getting the game to run in a wide resolution, this really belongs in the First Person Shooters forum.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2004, 21:46 
Editors
Editors

Except that that is an online FPS forum. Not quite sure what to do with this: I'll leave it here for now. ;)

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2004, 03:02 

Asigning the flashlight to the right mouse button is the best thing to do.

I totally agree that the suspence and pacing of the game depends on the switching.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2004, 00:23 

using right click for zoom and mouse4 or thumb button on mouse for flashlight is the greatest, and mosue5 for the cube weapon.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2004, 19:27 
Editors
Editors

DOOM 3 - Duct Tape Mod v0005
Under the crazy presumption that a roll of duct tape has to exist somewhere on the Mars facility, the Duct Tape mod sticks flashlights to your machinegun and shotgun.

OR...

DOOM 3 - Falken's Light Mod v1.0
Falken's Light Mod adds lights to all weapons, including the rocket launcher! It also makes the flashlight more useable and gives a nice ambiance when using the chainsaw!

Get it here ... http://www.fileplanet.com/doom/ ... :D