Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 04:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2004, 22:47 

:(

FFXI for PC has 1280x720 listed as a default resolution in the game setup. However, when I have my windows desktop resolution set at 1280x720, PlayOnline crashes when I try to open it. And when I say crashes, I mean it stops loading almost immediately and just gives me the ambiguous "Windows has experienced a crash" error and asks if I want to send in the error report. However, as soon as I switch back to 640x480, PlayOnline launches fine again.

I saw FFXI on the list of games supported out of the box, so I just wanted to check if anyone here has been able to get this resolution to work in reality. I'll be giving Square/Enix a call tonight to see if we can figure this out, but I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2004, 22:51 
Editors
Editors

What sort of comp are you running to on? Is the graphics card powerful enough to do 1280x720 with the sort of textures that FFXI throws around?

Some more specs would be useful. :wink: Like 3d card make, model, RAM, CPU etc. Then we can hopefully be a bit more help. :D

Post subject: Thanks for the reply...
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2004, 15:41 

:)

Sorry about that. I totally forgot the specs. The good news is that I got it to work last night. Here are the details.

P4/3.0, 768 MB, Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB, Win XP - connected via DVI to Sony GWII

Soooo... It turns out that I hadn't installed the proper monitor driver for the TV and windows was using a default driver. Even though I had added the custom res 1280x720 using powerstrip, FF XI was only seeing the default resolution of 640x480 as valid. As soon as I installed drivers for the Sony GDM-FW900 it worked like a charm. Final Fantasy in 1280x720 goodness =)

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2004, 18:51 
Editors
Editors

I'm glad you got it working! :D