Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 10:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to do it yourself?
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2017, 00:18 

Hello, guys. I hope everyone is good and that someone have the good will to tell me if it is possible for someone that don't know nothing to create their own 21:9 fixes. Is it?

I have always used other people's fixes, I wanted to create my own to venture in trying to do it, but I have no clue.

For example Star Ocean is out and it doesn't support 21;9 aspect ratio, which makes me sad. I was trying to mimic the hex edit from Dark Souls 3 as a starting path...
I tried to look for "800700003804" in the Star ocean's exe but only found the first half and tried to change it to what was written on the DS3 page changing its beginning and keeping the following sequence as it was, because in the DS3 that was kept too... I got a bit happy and thought that I was making progress, but I was wrong...

So, I would like to know if there is a place from where to begin looking for in order to learn how to do that, if possible at all.

Thank you a lot for reading.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2017, 10:42 

Hey, have you found a solution already?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2017, 01:31 

No, man ):

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 21:06 

wickedsick wrote:
text

This might be late, but..
I would start looking for the game on PCGamingWiki, and Google. PCGamingWiki will tell you where the game's configurations are stored, and can sometimes have a solution.
If it's not on there look in the game's directory, Documents, AppData Roaming/Local, etc)
If you don't find anything then look in the registry.

If the game runs at higher resolutions but is stretched try looking for the aspect ratio http://www.wsgf.org/article/common-hex-values in a hex editor instead of the resolution.

If THAT doesn't work then you will need to try Cheat Engine.

Make sure not to install any of the crapware that the Cheat Engine installer includes.
Also, this method might not work if the game has Denuvo.

I recommend to put the game in windowed mode to make it easier to switch between the game and Cheat Engine.
Also put the game in a resolution that doesn't have black bars and disable any overlays like Steam's to make sure you can find the right address.

Click File>Open Process (or the computer with a magnifying glass)
Select the game.

Enter the horizontal or horizontal resolution the game is currently in (e.g. 1920 for width and 1080 for height) into the Value box and click First Scan.
Change the resolution.

Enter the value of the new resolution and click Next Scan.

Once you have a small amount of values you can start adding the addresses.

Start with the green ones. If there aren't any just choose those instead. Select them and click the red arrow.

After you've added them try freezing them (Ctrl+A + Space) then changing the value to the one you want (Enter). Then click OK.

Make sure you're forcing it into a resolution that exists within Windows. (1920x1080, 1024x768, etc)

Try changing the resolution ingame.

If that didn't work look for any addresses that are stuck at the previous value.

Click it and press F6.

You should see a window with the title of "The following opcodes write to #address#

Select them all, right click, and click "Replace with code that does nothing (NOP)"

If you're lucky the resolution you chose will work after changing it in the game's options, and the game won't just crash.

If the game is stretched repeat those steps but change the Value Type to "Float" and search for the aspect ratio. http://www.wsgf.org/article/common-hex-values
I would recommend starting with a more exact value (e.g. 1.33333) then gradually getting less precise. (1.333)
Also make sure you're in a part of the game that has 3D.

Hope that helps.