Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 04:06 

I play in triple screen mode. That means, I don't have another monitor to be able to see chat when I am streaming.

I am looking for help with....
1) finding how to overlay twitch chat on top of my game, so i can respond without having to alt-tab.
2) I would like the background of the overlay to be transparent
3) I would like the text to be whatever color I specify
4) I need it to be moveable.

I have spent 6 hours trying to get Autohotkey and hexchat to work, but for some reason, hexchat will not save any settings. If I alt-tab to see verify the directions, when I alt-tab back to hexchat, what i set - disappeared back to default. The one time, I got hexchat to work, I could not get it to appear OVER my game using Autohotkey.

There must be another way?

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 05:56 

There was a program called Ubiquitous that could do this via the Steam overlay. Was a godsend for me because I only had one monitor at the time.

Unfortunately, the author stopped updating it and API changes on twitch caused it to break.

They were working on v2, but it's pretty different and basically still alpha quality despite it being many months. The main feature I used wasn't even working.

I now check back over a year later.. the developer ceased development AGAIN and is now working on "Restream", and it lacks even more features.

There really doesn't seem to be much hope for ingame chatting anymore other than just using the steam overlay and being logged into your dashboard or something, at least afaik. Really sucks.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 04:45 

well darn.
I know there are many "chat systems". But you have to download this program, then that program, then get them to work together....blah, blah, blah. Evenutally, I spent 10 hours trying to get ONE chat program to work....to no avail.

I did find one program that is promising... Overwolf.
You can download different apps for it. I used the twitch app. It was pretty darn good actually.
"1 click" streaming of my game to my twitch channel. Nothing to fuss with.

It even had a twitch chat app, that layers twitch chat over your game and is moveable around on your screen. Unfortunately, there is a game compatibility list and my game isn't listed on it.

Well, my search goes on. If anyone comes across "any" way to do it (as I specified in my original post, any help would really be appreciated.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 11:59 
Administrators
Administrators

It's called, a accessory monitor/ 4th monitor / laptop / table device / phone, no need to attach anything extra to the program that could trigger cheat protection (unlikely but can happen). Adding chat overlays to the game itself isn't the best idea because it'll interfear with any other overlays or anything trying to capture the game, and adding it to stream is 9 times out of 10 a redundant thing to do.

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 17:19 

yes, I have heard about some overlays triggering anti-cheat responses.
Also, I have experienced video stutter and poor fps with car HUD overlays.

I stream via game capture, otherwise, I get low fps. None of my overlays are included in my stream.
They're just things I keep an eye on....gpu/cpu usage and temps and fps.

The chat overlay is strictly for me to be able to respond to viewers while I'm running laps in driving games. I don't understand why someone would add a chat overlay into the stream when viewers already have the chatbox open. As you said...seems redundant.

I suppose I should put my "smart" phone use. At least I'll be able to take advantage of my unlimited data play - finally. ;)

Anyway, your responses are appreciated.