Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 04:42 

Hey there, folks! Worked on this little application over the weekend. I'll be working on creating a website for all my applications in the future, but for now it's posted here.

This application is very simple. It allows you to convert resolutions to their corresponding hexadecimal values. Essentially, it's a desktop version of this thread: http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16237

Here's a quick overview of the app.

Main Screen

From here, it's pretty simple. You can set the desired horizontal and vertical resolution, and select endianness. The default is little endian, as that's what x86 is.

Attachment:
ResHex1.PNG
ResHex1.PNG [ 8.31 KiB | Viewed 21255 times ]

Fill in single value

You can fill in a single value to get its hex value immediately. The program updates as you type.

Attachment:
ResHex2.PNG
ResHex2.PNG [ 10.13 KiB | Viewed 21245 times ]

Fill in multiple values

When you fill in multiple values, the combined hex value is shown in the Combined Hex window. This is calculated based on the IEEE 754 floating point standard.

Attachment:
ResHex3.PNG
ResHex3.PNG [ 10.9 KiB | Viewed 21250 times ]

Fill in resolutions over 9000

If you have a resolution greater than 9000, it's covered.

Attachment:
ResHex4.PNG
ResHex4.PNG [ 11.49 KiB | Viewed 21265 times ]

Use Big Endian

And if you have need for big endian, just hit the drop down box.

Attachment:
ResHex5.PNG
ResHex5.PNG [ 11.51 KiB | Viewed 21256 times ]

=================================================================================================================

Version 0.61 released

Version 0.61
-Added ability to space out hex values
-Added auto update feature.
-In order to support auto-updating, there will no longer be a zip download option
-Updates are checked for periodically, or can be checked manually via 'Help > Check for Updates'.
-Switched to MSVC++ and InstallShield for distribution. Using MinGW was too restrictive. The MSVC++ redistributable will be downloaded and installed automatically if not already installed.
-Fixed a potential crash when writing the settings file

Known issues
If there are no updates available and 'Help > Check for Updates' is clicked, no prompt is given informing the user there are no updates.

=================================================================================================================

Downloads

Now available on my website, PlexerCode.

Sorry for the delay on the 0.61 version. I had it finished last weekend but had issues creating an installer that would automatically resolve dependencies. This guy is good to go now, though!

I'm also looking into why Chrome is giving warnings when downloading. The file is flagged as "Not commonly downloaded and could be dangerous." I believe I have that fixed, but not sure how long it takes Google to do their thing.

If you find any bugs or have a feature request, post it here! Any feedback is appreciated.

Last edited by chris686 on 20 Dec 2015, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 04:49 

I am currently brainstorming a bigger application which would make patching games without widescreen support easier.

For those on this forum that do such things, if you have any specific ideas let me know. I'd like to build a tool specifically for the task of making widescreen mods easier.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 10:45 
Editors
Editors

Sounds good... Care for some goofproofing ? I can't run the app on Win7 x64: "The application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows"." (Can confirm, no cutie in sight.) Halp.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 15:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I tried it on Win7 x64 and Win10 x64: .......because MSVCP140.dll is missing......
after installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 x86 i got the same message "The application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 22:26 
Insiders
Insiders

chris686 wrote:
I am currently brainstorming a bigger application which would make patching games without widescreen support easier.

For those on this forum that do such things, if you have any specific ideas let me know. I'd like to build a tool specifically for the task of making widescreen mods easier.

GUI Concept:
Attachment:
concept.png
concept.png [ 22.69 KiB | Viewed 21248 times ]

INI-file parsing:
Code:
Action = Offset_Patch; Search_and_Replace; Loader

VA = 0x00000000
Type = hex; __int8; __int16; __int32; __int64; float; double
OldValue =
NewValue =
UserInput = on; off
Slider = on; off
Slider_Min =
Slider_Max =
Slider_Step =

INI-file example:
Quote:
[ResolutionX]
VA = 0x007D4319
Type = __int32
OldValue = 640
NewValue = 1920
UserInput = off

[ResolutionY]
VA = 0x007D431E
Type = __int32
OldValue = 480
NewValue = 1080
UserInput = off

[FOV]
VA = 0x009B81B0
Type = float
OldValue = 90.0
NewValue = 120.0
Slider = on
Slider_Min = 30.0
Slider_Max = 179.0
Slider_Step = 0.1

[Fix_1]
VA = 0x005FCE4D
Type = Hex
OldValue = 74 1C
NewValue = EB 1C

[Fix_2]
VA = 0x005FCE63
Type = Hex
OldValue = E8 F8 90 F6 FF
NewValue = E9 CA 80 25 00

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 16:16 

Yikes! Sorry for the problems. I ran it on my machine and it was fine. It's the first time I've distributed software this way.

I'll set up a W7 VM and try to re-release today. I'm out from work sick today with what feels like the flu, but I'm fine as long as I keep the fever down.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 21:56 

Updated!

I apologize for putting out something that didn't work. I used QT so I wouldn't be reliant on MS libraries, but I screwed it up anyway! The file size is slightly increased, but I think it's worth the trade off.

Anyway, the updated files are standalone and don't have any dependencies on MSVC. You should uninstall the old version first if you used the installer. Versions past v0.51 beta shouldn't require this.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 22:01 

jackfuste wrote:
chris686 wrote:

GUI Concept:

INI-file parsing:
Code:
Action = Offset_Patch; Search_and_Replace; Loader
<snip>
[/quote]

Did you make that yourself? Excellent! I'm currently sick, so it's unlikely I'll do any work this weekend. Just updating this today took me forever. I'll examine your concept more closely and may have some questions for you next week.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2015, 12:40 
Editors
Editors

v0.51 is working great, at least the part I can make sense of. Now I don't have to remember that 3440x1440 is 8EE31840 and 2560x1080 is 26B41740. Cheers !

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2015, 05:45 

scavvenjahh wrote:
v0.51 is working great, at least the part I can make sense of. Now I don't have to remember that 3440x1440 is 8EE31840 and 2560x1080 is 26B41740. Cheers !

Glad to hear! I saw a need for some software like this, and I'm happy to hear you're finding it useful. If something is confusing, I want to know so I can fix it.

I'm guessing it's confusion in relation to the sign, exponent, and mantissa parts. I added them for fun/completeness. I won't bore you with the details, and I doubt the fields will be useful for most people, but it was fun implementing them. I was planning on putting some help bubbles to explain how it all works. It's pretty dry stuff and likely only computer science people like myself would be interested, but I like to spread knowledge when I can. I think it's definitely good to know how the hex values are deduced, so I'll add some info on that when I get the chance.

I'm going to add customizable spacing sometime over the next few days so the hex values are easier to read. I wanted to have that feature implemented sooner, but I've been pretty lethargic recently as I've been getting over this bug. I'm almost back to my normal self, and I have lots of free time over the Thanksgiving weekend so I think it'll be implemented before Monday.

It's a pretty simple program, but if there's a feature you want or feel is missing (Including, perhaps, a basic view without having to look at bits), post it here and I may just have time to implement it over the next few days. :cheers:

By the way... If anyone's a graphics artist and would like to make a dark/grey theme for this and possibly my future applications, I'd much appreciate the help. It takes me a long time to make something look nice, so unless someone volunteers, it's going to be a plain, grey Windows view. I can't pay you obviously (This is free software), but you can have your name featured prominently in the application and on my website.

Last edited by chris686 on 25 Nov 2015, 06:43, edited 2 times in total.