Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 01:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TripleLinux
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 22:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Hello all,

I have made this as an University assignment project since I want to show this also in the academic environment:) As some of you know, Windows is not very popular in the academic medium like Linux is. The main reason behind it was to try to draw some attention from the lecturers who today teach the tomorrow's developers so that they know for example how a Surround/Eyefinity resolution should be handled and how is different than a standard one etc.
Another aspect was to show the possibilities and benefits of reverse engineering and what you can achieve with them.
The last but not least, since Steam is becoming more and more popular on Linux, with more and more games released, slowly we can see this OS as a gaming environment also.

So now that I explained my motivations (sort of) I will go directly to the subject.

I have made a small application that does the same thing as Flawless Widescreen or WideScreen Fixer. It enables support for certain games in order to be played under Linux on Tripple Screen resolutions.

The first game I selected to fix is Doom-3-BFG (since Doom3 is very popular around the academic medium still).
There is no official Linux Release for Doom3-BFG, but since they released the source code some while ago it can be build under Linux OS.
The "version" of Doom3 that I used was created by Robert Beckebans. The source code can be found at: https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG.
I have created a 32-bit version of the executable rather than a 64-bits for various reasons.
The fix will only work with this build and 32 bit version of the build.

At the moment the app is still in early stage:

- It has no UI and is a console command only.
- Multiple games can be added to it.
- It doesn't query any drivers yet, so there is no "Autodect" resolution feature yet.

Doom 3 BFG by default offers a very good TripleWide resolution support. (Menus, FOV, AR etc is correctly calculated) The only thing that does not work properly is the HUD that is spanned across all 3 screens.
This fix simply centers the resolution on the middle screen in order to give proper Surround.

I have attached a screenshot taken from the game running on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (nVidia Surround).

If anyone is interested in playing Doom3 BFG under Linux (Ubuntu) with a centered HUD please let me know so I will upload both the game binary and the fix itself.
If people are also interested in more Linux Games being fixed, please let me know also;))

Best Regards,
Helifax

Attachments:
File comment: Doom3 Centered HUD under Linux
Doom3 Ubuntu.jpg
Doom3 Ubuntu.jpg [ 233.55 KiB | Viewed 6250 times ]

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

Post subject: Re: TripleLinux
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2013, 23:43 

Although I agree with your post and Linux will become a gaming platform it is no where near what Windows is at the moment and won't be for a very long time.

There are loads of reasons why it won't be for at least a good 10 years (this is my estimate) these are just a couple off the top of my head.
  • I have 300 games in my Steam library (including the valve collection) - only 22 are available when I install Steam on Linux, These 22 aren't all valve games only a handful are valve.
  • DirectX - Is unfortunately a Microsoft technology, most triple A titles, in fact a lot of games use DirectX over OpenGL and other libraries, it is changing but can you imagine going back and recoding the DX games with something else?
  • GFX card providers - Yes they provide OpenGL and other specific drivers for Linus but they are no way new the quality of windows drivers and again DX is heavily integrated or used. you've had to have a "DirectX compatible GFX card" for a very long time

Linux is a great option but it's just not there yet and won't be for a while

N.B. This is mainly opinion and drunken chat on a Friday Night so may not be fact, when I was at Uni (Computer Science Degree) I didn't touch Windows until the Visual Studio module (2001-2004). I had my original xbox for gaming and a PC for dev and that was it, oh and back then I was a SUSE guy

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 02:02 
Insiders
Insiders

LuckyNoS7evin wrote:
Although I agree with your post and Linux will become a gaming platform it is no where near what Windows is at the moment and won't be for a very long time.

There are loads of reasons why it won't be for at least a good 10 years (this is my estimate) these are just a couple off the top of my head.
  • I have 300 games in my Steam library (including the valve collection) - only 22 are available when I install Steam on Linux, These 22 aren't all valve games only a handful are valve.
  • DirectX - Is unfortunately a Microsoft technology, most triple A titles, in fact a lot of games use DirectX over OpenGL and other libraries, it is changing but can you imagine going back and recoding the DX games with something else?
  • GFX card providers - Yes they provide OpenGL and other specific drivers for Linus but they are no way new the quality of windows drivers and again DX is heavily integrated or used. you've had to have a "DirectX compatible GFX card" for a very long time

N.B. This is mainly opinion and drunken chat on a Friday Night so may not be fact, when I was at Uni (Computer Science Degree) I didn't touch Windows until the Visual Studio module (2001-2004). I had my original xbox for gaming and a PC for dev and that was it, oh and back then I was a SUSE guy

Yes I 1000% agree with you:) If it wouldn't for the Uni assignment I am currently working on that demands Linux I would have stuck with the Windows platform that gives way better APIs and other things...Unfortunately when I told them about Windows, my "tutor" said he has no interest in Windows...either Linux or Mac...Since I don't have a Mac (and Mac doesn't even support Eyefinity/Surround) the other viable option was Linux.
The reason I posted was to see if people are interested in this platform at all...:) with the games it currently has available... or wish to play games in Triple-Wide resolutions on it:)

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2013, 10:28 

helifax wrote:
LuckyNoS7evin wrote:

Yes I 1000% agree with you:) If it wouldn't for the Uni assignment I am currently working on that demands Linux I would have stuck with the Windows platform that gives way better APIs and other things...Unfortunately when I told them about Windows, my "tutor" said he has no interest in Windows...either Linux or Mac...Since I don't have a Mac (and Mac doesn't even support Eyefinity/Surround) the other viable option was Linux.
The reason I posted was to see if people are interested in this platform at all...:) with the games it currently has available... or wish to play games in Triple-Wide resolutions on it:)

Ye I have an interest in it, anything really that will bring new things to the table, I'm tempted to install ubuntu, doom 3 and your fixer just to try it :)

i7 3770K (Ivy bridge) | Corsair Dominator 32GB | Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus Intel Z77 | Corsair H100i | 2 x Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 7950 in crossfire | NXZT Phantom case | OCZ 1000W Powersupply | Samsung 840 PRO 256GB | 2x OCZ agility 3 60GB SSDs | 2x 1TB HDDs |

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2013, 23:18 

Please continue this project! I came from Linux to Windows just for the support of gaming on multiple monitors. Also, this information needs to be brought to the linux world!