Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 03:21 

So a lot of games are getting either first party or user support for multimonitor, but some lesser known and older games unfortunately don't. Is there a tool that lets you manually play around with the games camera and FOV to get a good 4K or 21:9 display? For the longest time I wanted to make a patch to play Ocarina of TIme on 3 screens XD. Also, how do the patcher make multimonitor support, do they individually code it or to they use a tool box? I would love to make patches for some under the radar or older games, so any help will be appreciated! :cheers:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 14:19 
Insiders
Insiders

Some of the older PC games just don't have the option in the menu's, but it's effectively possible codewise. Such is what a patcher does; it injects the change of resolution directly so you do not need the GUI. This can either be done under the hood, to actually change the ingame options. (Like has been done before with Age of Empires II for example), or a hack is in order to change the values in the current memory (which is the case with Call of Duty I believe?)

Ocarina of Time is obviously emulated, and it's nigh impossible to adapt emulated games. Some emulators allow you to upscale the game to a multiplier of the original resolution, but that's about where the possibilities end. Enabling a wider FOV and a resolution that was not supported by the console is not possible to inject that in an emulator as well.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2013, 17:19 

Svardskampe wrote:
Enabling a wider FOV and a resolution that was not supported by the console is not possible to inject that in an emulator as well.

Not so for Dolphin and Project 64!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2013, 04:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Unfortunately "universal" is too universal :))

Since most games use DIFFERENT engines which means even if they calculate the same thing, they do it totally different this will not be possible.
Even games using the SAME engine but different iterations of the engine (ex: Mass Effect 1, 2, 3) are different and one thing that works across all three of them cannot be created.

As for an app working in a virtual box, 1st you need to ensure the virtual box can use multi-monitor and then the emulated app. So is double the effort...
As a matter of fact..even the SAME source code compiled for Windows and Linux is different (since the compiler, linker is different)...
So unless we get only ONE engine to be used across ALL games the problem of universal ...well is out of scope :))

I hope this gives a bit of insight of why this is not possible:)

Best Regards,
Helifax

Only website to show TRUE 3D Vision Surround Gaming Videos(viewable by anyone) only at
3D Vision Surround Gallery

E-mail and Paypal (for people who wants it): [email protected]

PostPosted: 16 May 2013, 02:46 

Sweet, thanks so much for the reply guys! I guess if I'm to contribute to the wide-screen gaming community I'm going to need to do it manually by each game... :problem: :ugeek: Oh well XD