Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 02:23 

ok, so basicallly i had the original PC version of Rogue Squadron 3d (Came bundled with my family's first PC) I found the Disc again about a year ago. I had recently gotten a Vista Machine (same on as my profile, only nVidia GeForce 9800GT). Problem is, the installer WILL NOT install on a 64 bit machine. So I did a bit of digging. Found this site here

Follow those instructions precisely to make an install disc with the installer you download.

The installer requires files form the Rogue Squadron 3d Disc named ROGUE_1_000 on the CD drive in My Computer.
The installer Disc you make also must be named ROGUE_1_000
if you want to play it, it requires the disc you copies the files from

Once installed to "Program FIles (x86)/ Lucas Arts....." you update it to version 1.2 and mess with the security settings making sure that you DO NOT run "Rogue Squadron.exe" as admin or any other compatibility mode and edit the security settings so that users can change things.
"ROGUE.exe" should be run as admin and with High DPI settings disabled.
"ROGUE.exe" is the configuration file but do not open it until you have nGlide Glide Wrapper installed
Run nGlide as admin to change settings and then set it to this setting (ignore the resolution but do not set it to the "By Desktop" setting, and make sure your display will allow 16 bit (nGLide renders in 32bit color, but Rogue Squadron 3D crashes when you don't have your display set to a resolution that can use 16bit (forceware users can easily create custom resolutions.
now insert the original Disc and run "ROGUE.exe" in the folder you had installed the game to. Configure your hardware to use your joystick if you have one. and set the graphics settings to Glide and accept the changes

Make a shortcut of "Rogue Squadron.exe" onto the desktop. and add " -voodoo3" to the target area without quotes.
run Rogue Squadron 3d from the shortcut you just made on the desktop.

note, if you have problems installing the joystick, the fourth save slot seemed to work properly.

Enjoy :-)

I would encourage people to download the image to their desktops to get the full effect :-)

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2012, 05:09 
Founder
Founder

Okay, I have no idea why our image resize script is jacking up the image for me. I even edited your post to attach the image to the post, and that didn't work. That being said...

1 - I *LOVED* this game on my GameCube
2 - Thanks for posting this info!!! Really. Thanks.
3 - The image you post shows letterboxed gameplay inside the 16:9 screenshot. Is this from a cut-scene, or the game footage?
4 - Could you pull together the proper shots and info to do a Detailed Report on this game. Helper links below

http://www.wsgf.org/forum/forums/gaming/detailed-widescreen-reports/15507/new-dr-form-adding-and-editing-games-must-read

http://www.wsgf.org/forum/forums/gaming/detailed-widescreen-reports/15549/visual-explanation-terms-used-detailed-reports

This is one of those classic titles I'd love to have added properly to the site.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 15:35 

It is a cinematic cutscene from the mission "Assult On Kile II". It is the explantation of why they use Y-Wings. This PC Version which was derived from a port of the Nintendo 64 Title "Rogue Squadron" and the 3d part means it is accelerated. The data on the Disc ammounts to only 50MB to 80MB. It is widescreen though and at high res it kicks ass. Not native wide, but the stretching really is neglidgeable and I'm not sure how the glide wrapper nGlide achieves that. If I create the repo, it would qualify as a hack with the instructions I laid out here. The reason I prefer nGlide wrapper is simply because it overrides the app's resolution and refresh rate settings which allows higher resolutions than what the Voodoo 2, 3, or Glide API's provided (max 800x600 without that wrapper). And in this case with direct x 6 as the other option (max res 1280x1024), you still see jagged lines at full Antialiasing Settings (32xCSSA or 8x8xSupersample...choose your poison). Other classic games this works for quite well are a few of the Novalogic Tittles (F-22 Lightning 3, F-16 Fighting Falcon, Mig-29 Fulcrum). I will write a report when I get the chance to.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012, 16:34 

I love this game. I use to have the PC version back in the day and played it all the time but I have no idea where the disc ever got too.

What pisses me off is that LucasArts has fallen so far that we will never see another game like this (who knows if 1313 will restore some of their glory)

1x ACER z35p 3440x1440p 120Hz G-Sync - 1x ACER XB270HU 144Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync ~ 1x BenQ GW2765 60Hz 2560x1440 ~ 1x Sanyo 1080p LCD TV
Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown ~ Corsair Scimitar RGB Pro ~ Sennheiser PC350 SE Headset
Uplift 900 2 Leg Sit/Stand Desk Frame with Custom Wood Desktop ~ Freedom WSGF Edition Ultimate Desk Stand v1

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012, 18:06 

4x3:

16x9:

16x10:

Link to the album

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2012, 17:15 

Out of curiosity, does the game still crash for you with the glide wrapper?
For me If a select the Wrapper I have a crash after every mission, this doesn't happen with the fixed exe in direct 3D.