Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 21:07 

Monitor limitations are out! High-resolution screenshots are in!

I always wanted to take high resolution screenshots of my favorite games but my display just said NO.
Fortunately I figured out a way to bypass this limitations with ALL games. With this tutorial, you will only be limited to your graphics card('s drivers). I got to 3200x1800 (16:9) with a single GTX 480.
Unfortunately, I do not know if this is possible with ATI/AMD and/or Intel graphics cards as I only have an NVIDIA GTX 480. Please PM me if you figured out a similar way with ATI/AMD and/or Intel graphics cards. I will include the instructions here then.

Also, before continuing on, please check first it is even worth it:
Even though you are NOT limited by the monitors resolution (eg 1680x1050), you will still be limited by the games resolution as well as the graphics card's (driver's). If your game isn't too old and supports various resolutions with different aspect ratios, it is . Just check it here at WSGF!

So is going through the trouble of running games really slowly at really high resolutions worth it for you? Yes? Great! Let's get to it then!

[h4]Let's force higher resolutions:[/h4]

1. Open up your Windows Control Panel

2. Start NVIDIA Control Panel

3. Go to Display -> Change Resolution

4. Click Customize with your main monitor selected

5. Click "Create Custom Resolution..."

6. Set the Resolution to a new maximum (eg 2560 Horizontal Pixels and 1600 Vertical lines). Stick with regular aspect ratio dimensions (4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10, etc). Leave the rest untouched: Screenshot

7. Click Test

At this point, there are two possible outcomes:
Outcome A: If you are lucky, you will still have some kind of visual, but it might be screwed up. Mine looks like this: Picture (2560x1600 on 1920x1200 Samsung T260). Continue reading "Outcome A".
Outcome B: If you are unlucky, the display itself might say "Screw you, I don't support this resolution" and you'll end up with a black screen. Continue reading "Outcome B".

[h5]Outcome A:[/h5]

1. An error message will appear. Do NOT click Ok. It will revert your resolution. Just leave it open.

2. Start the game of your choice in window mode if possible.

3. Change the game's resolution. New options allowing 2560x1600 or so should be available now. If not, check the Master Game List on how to force these resolutions for the game in question.

4. Use Fraps or similar tools to take screenshots.

5. Once you are done, you may revert to the old resolution by clicking on the previous error message.

[h5]Outcome B:[/h5]At this point, you either have to

• try starting the game blindly at your new high resolution and then revert back to a supported resolution.

• try starting the game blindly at your new high resolution and then move the game window to your second monitor that is still working. Keep in mind that you only see a portion of the game using that method. Continue reading "Outcome A" then.

• connect to your "hires" computer using VNC/Teamviewer/etc from another computer and continue reading "Outcome A".

And there you go, a game running at very high resolutions without a super expensive high resolution monitor.

If you want to slow down the game even more, you might want to check out my Anti-Aliasing Comparison to add that little extra touch to those darn edges. Slowdowns guaranteed!

Here are some of my pictures taken using this method:

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 22:02 
Editors
Editors

Tested :twothumb and promoted to the front page, thanks again Oehr.

Post subject: Supersampling right?
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 22:15 
Insiders
Insiders

Supersampling right?

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 22:23 

tet5uo: dunno what SuperVCAA 64x (8v8) does, but it's waaaaay slower than SS 4x4 (1-2fps tops at that resolution with my gtx480). IF you are referring to my screenshots :)

Post subject: No, I just mean that by
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 23:49 
Insiders
Insiders

No, I just mean that by forcing this higher resolution on your smaller screen, you're effectively doing your own supersampling.

Would be a good way to add some AA to games that can't use it due to their renderer or whatnot.

Post subject: yes, if only the monitor
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 23:51 

yes, if only the monitor would handle it correctly which is not the case. at least not with my monitor...

Post subject: Interesting. I've found
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2011, 23:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Interesting. I've found others who have done this in order to get better IQ in games. Here's a thread.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346325#top

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 00:04 
Editors
Editors

This thread - mini tutorial is about taking screenshots at high resolutions, higher than your monitor could support, downsampling requires many other variables than the ones posted by Oehr, please lets stay on topic. :onethumb

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 00:18 
Insiders
Insiders

Well it was quite similar to what he was doing.. sorry, just got my train of thought rolling, lol.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2011, 21:33 

It seems like the DVI limit of the graphics card does not apply to my method. I managed a resolution of 3200x1800 (16:9). Take a look:

I edited the tutorial accordingly.