Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 22:06 

Hey again, and thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I found that from googling, but my ATI drivers (apparently any ATI drivers) won't let me fiddle with the graphics hardware acceleration. I also figured turning off something that sounds pretty important wouldn't be a good idea but thought it was worth a try, well I guess I won't know until I buy a new graphics card..

I tried running WOW in OpenGL but the footage is nothing but black throughout the whole video.

Thanks again for the guide and support, I'll be popping by here regularly to see if anyone discovers a way around the overlay :)

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2010, 10:29 

Hey...it's me again :) I noticed the links of sample footage near the end of the guide lead to invalid link at FileFront. Do you have a working link to the footage? I am particularly curious about the Battlefield 2 video (640x400, XviD+MP3, 0:18, 2.5MB). 18 seconds under 3 MB? That looks very interesting :D

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010, 02:00 
Editors
Editors

Hey Xtreme_Rampage.

Sorry about the offline footage. I think all my files got dumped off Filefront sometime after their chaotic death/resurrection experience last year. I will actually be moving my site to far more robust, dedicated hosting in the near future (I hope), but until then I have uploaded the file you requested here:
http://generaladmission.home.comcast.net/files/BF2_640x400_Xvid%2BMP3.avi

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 05:12 

http://generaladmission.home.comcast.net/files/BF2_640x400_Xvid%2BMP3.avi

Thanks a lot, GeneralAdmission. I was impressed by this particular video because of its tiny size compared to others. I knew and saw the quality was not the best, but I do have plan to record gameplay as small as possible without sacrificing too much video quality.

Other things I noticed are this particular Battlefield 2 video is recorded with XviD+MP3 codec and with 640x400 resolution, while the other videos are recorded with MJPEG codec and with larger resolutions. Do you think that if you use XviD+MP3 codec for other recorded videos, for example the Call of Duty 4 video, it will reduce the size significantly from 148 MB?

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2010, 09:06 
Editors
Editors

[quote]http://generaladmission.home.comcast.net/files/BF2_640x400_Xvid%2BMP3.avi

Do you think that if you use XviD+MP3 codec for other recorded videos, for example the Call of Duty 4 video, it will reduce the size significantly from 148 MB?
Yes, the codecs will make a significant difference. Xvid by nature uses lower bitrates than MJPEG, and the CoD4 video has no audio compression at all. There are other factors in play, so to get a good idea of the influence the codec(s) will have we need to level the comparison.

Code:
CoD4 video = 43 seconds. BF2 = 18, approximately 42% the length of the former. 42% of the CoD4 video would be ~ 62MB.

CoD4 res = 1272960 pixels. BF2 = 256000 (20%). 62 * .20 = 12.4MB.

2.5MB / 12.4MB = 20%

This is quick and dirty math, but if you use bitrates similar my settings then capturing to Xvid+MP3 will result in filesizes about 80% smaller than MJPEG+uncompressed.

Remember, if you intend to perform on-the-fly compressing to lossy, final-format codecs such as Xvid and MP3, expect to capture at lower resolutions to compensate for the increased performance hit to your CPU. This is why my BF2 video is only 640x400--anything higher impeded performance too much.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2011, 16:57 

Hi, I know this topic is several years old but I'm hoping it's still supported. I followed the guide that was posted and was able to record Men of War while in window mode. The file size of the recordings are significantly smaller than Fraps when I use 1920x1080 resolutions and I'm extremely excited about this.

I'm wondering how you go about editing your video after you've recorded it? I'm new to virtualdub so I tried some experimentation by trimming the clip and exporting it with different settings but they all seem to expand the beautifully compressed file to an absurd size. I'm also using Win7 which won't allow me to record the game audio w/ virtualdub but I found a nice free 3rd party program that does.

So I guess my real question is... How do I take that nice compressed clip, trim it and add the audio that I recorded with the other program while still keeping the clip's high quality and small size for upload to the internet?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ty

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 04:19 

Hello, General Admissions I am hoping you can help me out.

I followed all of your instructions, but virtual dub is recording my desktop even while I am tabbed into a full screen game. Also my start recording works but stop recording will not work and the path for the exe is the same in stop recording. Any ideas? Thanks for the guide I hope you can help.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 00:54 
Editors
Editors

Hello Ty and Rhythmic. First off,
:welcome

@Ty
Yes! This topic is still supported and I'm happy to answer questions.

I'm wondering how you go about editing your video after you've recorded it? I'm new to virtualdub so I tried some experimentation by trimming the clip and exporting it with different settings but they all seem to expand the beautifully compressed file to an absurd size.

I edit videos in a range of applications from VirtualDub to Vegas. For basic trimming/cutting/joining, though, Vdub is more than enough and by far the most efficient tool IMO. To solve the huge file problem, make sure you select Video-->Direct Stream Copy in Vdub when trimming and saving clips of your video. This ensures that absolutely no recompression happens, and clips will save about as fast as your hard drive can write data.

So I guess my real question is... How do I take that nice compressed clip, trim it and add the audio that I recorded with the other program while still keeping the clip's high quality and small size for upload to the internet?

You should be able to accomplish this with Vdub. Vdub can add audio to a video file with Audio-->Audio from other file..., but the duration will need to match and getting things to sync might be a challenge. How exactly does your audio recording solution work?

@Rhythmic
If fullscreen game recording is failing you are probably hitting the hardware overlay problem. Have you tried recording in windowed mode at all? If not give it a shot and that will at least help narrow the problem.

If the start recording command works but stop recording doesn't, sounds like the stop record command isn't configured correctly (though it seems you checked this already) or VirtualDub is just not receiving the command for some reason. Have you tried a test recording of the desktop with Vdub using only the built-in F5 and Esc hotkeys? How about a desktop recording test using the hotkeys with HotkeyP? Have you tried different games? There are lots of variables to sort out, but the problem should be fixable.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 13:45 

Hello!

I'm really happy that you're still helping people out. Your guide was really helpful to me,but i have few problems and hope you can help me with it.
I've tried recording World of Warcraft,and while in fullscreen, it captures my desktop instead of the game. It's recording normally when i switch to windowed mode,but the game's performance is much worse in windowed mode whether i record or not,and i can't really get used to it. So i'm forced to capture in fullscreen.

I've also tried running wow in opengl,but the recorded video just ends up being black.
Playing WoW version 3.5.5, with intel i7 and radeon HD 5770.

Hope you can help me out (:

Post subject: remedy wrote:Hello!I'm
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2011, 00:54 
Editors
Editors

Hello!

I'm really happy that you're still helping people out. Your guide was really helpful to me,but i have few problems and hope you can help me with it.
I've tried recording World of Warcraft,and while in fullscreen, it captures my desktop instead of the game. It's recording normally when i switch to windowed mode,but the game's performance is much worse in windowed mode whether i record or not,and i can't really get used to it. So i'm forced to capture in fullscreen.

I've also tried running wow in opengl,but the recorded video just ends up being black.
Playing WoW version 3.5.5, with intel i7 and radeon HD 5770.

Hope you can help me out (:

Hello remedy!

The problem you describe is the one major drawback to this recording method: hardware overlays. Overlays are the reason you get black screen/flickering/desktop instead of game footage in your recordings. Currently I still have not found an easy/free/functional way to deal with this issue. Windowed mode, OpenGL rendering and such are just workarounds. Hopefully one day I will find a solution or learn enough coding to make one myself. I do have a GUI control tool in early development that will significantly streamline usage of the Vdub recording method, but it doesn't solve the overlay challenge.

Sorry I don't have an easy fix for you. I would recommend trying MSI's Afterburner tool, which I recently discovered offers excellent video recording and screenshot functions for free:
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

Performance beats Fraps hands down, plus they offer codec options, compression control, and more resolution choices. I wonder if someone on their dev team read my guide a while back and got some feature ideas from it. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next