Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2008, 18:19 

For the people who are making videos, what encoding do you use and what are your settings.

Can't get what i want in the default decoders :?

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2008, 19:00 
Insiders
Insiders

Use Fraps to capture.

Then Virtual dub with DivX encoder on high settings to cut down the file to a more reasonable size.

Then edit with video editing program.

Then encode the video with your editing program with VERY HIGH settings. (Essentially a raw file of the finished video)

Then go back into Vdub with your raw file and use multipass encoding with the DivX codec to attain the highest quality in whatever bitrate you choose.

If your going to send it to Ibrin so he can put it up on various sites under the WSGF acounts then I suggest you encode at 1000kb/s more than you would normally because he might need to make a change or two and transcode to H264 codec. This ensures that it still looks as good as possible when he's done.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2008, 21:02 
Editors
Editors

P-Storm, what formats/applications do you want to use? That will help determine a more specific answer to your question.

If you have not tried it yet, AutoGK is an excellent, easy tool to produce .avi files with Xvid or Divx video and MP3 audio.

Mobster, you do realize that the steps you outlined put the video through 3 generations of compression before getting to your final format, right? Even with high bitrates, multiple recompressions will degrade picture quality, especially with 2 passes through an interframe codec like Divx.

The optimal editing pipeline would be capture->edit->compress to final version. Most video apps should be able to open and edit Fraps .avi files, perform edits, then export to Divx. If you really need to reclaim disk space from the huge Fraps files, you can cut them down in Vdub using Direct Stream Copy without recompression, or you can compress them to a better intermediate codec that uses intraframe compression. There are also frameserving options available in Vdub or AviSynth that can get video into applications that don't natively place nice with your videos.

I don't mean this to sound like a lecture, just trying to offer tips.

Perhaps Ibrin can post the specs, formats, and filesize requirements for WSGF videos so that we can deliver final versions directly to him.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 12:19 

Basicly what I got is 2 movies from fraps to play with (with 1 minute lenght).

Monday I will try to Fraps -> Adope premier pro -> huffjuf (how did I spell it :roll: )-> Divx (h263+)

Thought that I heard that it was 720p, the end format

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 16:52 
Founder
Founder

I often use QuickTime Pro to transcode.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 19:26 
Editors
Editors

Monday I will try to Fraps -> Adope premier pro -> huffjuf (how did I spell it :roll: )-> Divx (h263+)

You should be able to encode to the Divx codec directly from Premiere, so no need for Huffyuv. If the format is only available via a standalone Divx encoder application, shame on the Divx design team :x . If that is the case, just frameserve the video to the encoder to skip the Huffyuv rendering step (and yet another giant video file).

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 21:07 

I can export to divx, but somehow the quality is really bad... dunno what setting I did set wrong, but bitrate of 4000 is a lot in my eyes.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 22:17 
Editors
Editors

I can export to divx, but somehow the quality is really bad... dunno what setting I did set wrong, but bitrate of 4000 is a lot in my eyes.

Could be a number of reasons. If you want to post screenshots of the settings available for the Divx encoder within Premiere and the specs of your source videos (resolution, framerate), I'll try to help. Haven't used Divx on a regular basis for awhile, so I'm a little rusty. Xvid got my favor long ago. :)

Have you tried 2-pass encoding?

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2008, 11:29 
Editors
Editors

AutoGK is the most simple and great for general stuff (use XVid, its the same or better than Divx and more compaible and not copyrighted)

However as I have been ripping my dvd collection latly to my HTPC I found that .264 is the way to go its much better than xvid or divx.

The best program so far I have run across is Avidemux.

Use a .mp4 container, AAC for audio (its much much better than MP3, same quality as DVD's AC3 but its compressed for better file size) and of course use x264 for the video codec.

Use a 2 pass method and even at default setings your going to get something much beter than you can with divx or xvid (and a smaller file size) but can tell you hat I use for "ultra high".

x264 will let you get the same quality with 60-80% of the file size. It performs great with low bitrates.

I plan to take some fraps videos later of Fallout 3 and try to encode them for youtube since the now support 720p widescreen I have to give it a shot. I have not encoded anything except my dvd rips so far.

Some other good programs for x264

Fairuse Wizard (great but free trial is limited)
MeGui (has the most options but hard to setup)
Nero Recode (has its own codec similar to x264)

AutoGK is supposed to get x264 support at some point too!

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 07:18 
Editors
Editors

Update. I have a new favorite program. HandBrake it is to H264 what AutoGK is to XVID.

I have created many flawless high quality H264/AAC encodes with this program, its very easy to use yet still allows full control over the advanced x264 options manually if you so desire.

I really really liked Avidemux, but I have had so many issues with it. Half my fles do not code right no matter what format I use and often I get sync issues. HandBrake has had no problems though it has none of the fancy stuff Avidemux had, like the filters, VobSub, stuff like that. However most of that stuff is reserved for advanced users with special needs that probably do it all manually anyways.

The few "odd" things about HandBrake I have fixed myself.

For anamorphic or for changing the resolution of a file it does not give you a fixed aspect ratio option (where you supply one new resolution like say 720 for the height) and it will give you the matching resolution to go with it.

Also dopefish got me into researching CRF encoding, a great encoding method with x264 and HandBrake does not use the normal CRF numbers, so if you look up a tutorial online and it gives you a CRF of 24, you have no idea how to put that in because HandBrake uses a & of quality instead.

So I made a very nifty spreadsheet that can do all of those things.

Now I just need to find the time to write a good tutorial and sharing the spreadsheet will be a part of it. Where is a good place to host a excel document?