Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 08:30 
Editors
Editors

bramear wrote:
Hi , i'm french so sorry for my bad english

But , is it possible to use the zoom modification mod with customs maps , or it's just impossible

Thanks a lot ! ;)

Sorry, but the mods will not work with custom maps unless you edit the map files yourself.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 10:58 
Editors
Editors

The year is 2014 and I'm playing RotWK for the first time. It sure fool-of-a-took me a while to find a used dvd with an asking price of a used dvd... not of a used car. But for the umpteenth time, nearly a decade after release and notwithstanding the low-poly units and low, locked framerate, I'm still amazed at how fun BfME2 is. Easily one of the best RTS and sequels ever, and how preciousss to write this while CoH2 is having a Free Weekend :P

Anyway. Widescreen.

I was quite shocked to find an alternative fix for RotWK: the widescreen version of Unofficial Patch 2.02
It appears to make the FOV as close to strictly Hor+ as possible with a UI squished to perfection, at least in 16:9.

4:3 out of the box

16:10 w/ Unofficial Patch 2.02

16:10 w/ WS Enhanced mod

Unofficial 2.02's FOV is basically WS Enhanced FOV minus the ability to pull the camera quite as high; the UI is squished up to 16:9, instead of stretched from 4:3.
(On a sidenote this may not be the best spot for FOV comparisons esp. for WS Enhanced, what with the map's end "wall" to the south and mountains pushing the camera up to the west.)

Unfortunately the widescreen-friendly features of u2.02 come with multiple game changes I'm not interested in (reorganized Powers tree, "balanced" unit stats, etc.), and the mod itself is a bit sneaky and invasive (e.g disabling it must be done through its launcher, instead of simply running the game without it). I couldn't find details on the WS fixes of u2.02, how they were done or if they were taken from another mod.

A new mod that would keep only the FOV and UI fixes of u2.02 and get rid of the core gameplay changes would be sooo very awesome. Actually, your camera height fix with their UI fix is what I'm dreaming of, as this combination could substantially improve both the WS & TH Enhanced mods, not to mention UWS support.

So, most revered GeneralAdmission, if you ever find the time - would you care to poke around u2.02's .big files or maybe contact the Gamereplays guys, and see what can be done to squish "your" UI too ?
I realize time has passed, you've moved on and are probably not too eager to re-work on your old mods. It is certainly no matter of urgency either. But by the Iron Crown, surely you'll understand that I simply had to ask ;)

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 09:36 
Editors
Editors

scavvenjahh wrote:
So, most revered GeneralAdmission, if you ever find the time - would you care to poke around u2.02's .big files or maybe contact the Gamereplays guys, and see what can be done to squish "your" UI too ?
I realize time has passed, you've moved on and are probably not too eager to re-work on your old mods. It is certainly no matter of urgency either. But by the Iron Crown, surely you'll understand that I simply had to ask ;)

Actually I would love to go back to this project and rework it completely! I have grand ideas of a version 2 that is unified, simpler, cross-compatible with mods, features use-defined camera controls, etc.

Unfortunately, Real Life time demands leave me hardly anything left to allocate to my hobbies. I have multiple game fix projects that have been in stasis a long time now that I wish I could complete, and many more in line behind those.

If and when I can find the time, I will jump head-first back into these projects because I love them dearly. Sorry I can't make any promises--just know that my inactivity is absolutely not due to lack of interest.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 12:52 
Editors
Editors

Oh I hear you, loud and clear... and hey, I hope this kind of nerdy feedback leaves you more excited about the stuff than depressed that you can't really afford to look into it. My final request was merely a rhetorical way to end the message, the discussion is all I'm interested in, and your reply actually boosted my morale. Sure, actual game fixes are nice and all - but by golly, uncurbed enthousiasm is what it's really all about !

Now if you'll excuse me, I still have a big chunk of Angmar to conquer and a certain DR to update. But first of all, I really should do the dishes. The fight never ends...

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2014, 16:43 
Editors
Editors

A few maps like RotWK's Barrow-Downs look much better in a bit of mist. So here's a funny savegame trick: how to get the WS Enhanced camera AND the original map's fog working together 8-)

First save your game in WS Enhanced...

Then quit and load that savegame in the base game...

Oh, the atmosphere.
Of course on the next mission the camera will be reset and you'll have to return to WS Enhanced. And repeat the trick if you want to restore this map's fog, too.

Note that it doesn't work so well in Multi-mon; even though the trick works with TH Enhanced, the resulting very thick fog and muffled sounds are really not worth it...

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015, 12:29 

Hi, widescreen and triplehead links are not working :( ( http://www.wsgf.org/generaladmission/BF ... od-1.0.exe )

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 04:20 

Oops, I forgot to quote your message. So I made another comment.

Last edited by BFME2FAN on 13 Sep 2015, 07:04, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015, 07:02 

I love your mod and use in on my main computer, but I'm trying to mod some maps on my other computer that doesn't have your mod. When I set the max distance to 600, the sound effects are very quite (like the fighting sounds). So I'd really appreciate it if you could tell me how you were able to fix it?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 20:52 
Editors
Editors

Poking around in FinalBig... Apparently the settings you're looking for are the Microphone parameters in data\ini\audiosettings.ini

For instance I see these values in THEmod.big compared to the original ini.big:

MicrophonePreferredFractionCameraToGround = 86% (was 96%)
MicrophoneMaxDistanceToCamera = 900 (was 300)
MicrophonePullTowardsTerrainLookAtPointPercent = 90% (was 60%)
ZoomMaxDistance = 1025.0 (was 425%)
ZoomSoundVolumePercentageAmount = 10% (was 20%)

Not a modder myself so I don't know how much that helps. Good luck eh !

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 06:30 
Editors
Editors

scavvenjahh wrote:
Poking around in FinalBig... Apparently the settings you're looking for are the Microphone parameters in data\ini\audiosettings.ini

For instance I see these values in THEmod.big compared to the original ini.big:

MicrophonePreferredFractionCameraToGround = 86% (was 96%)
MicrophoneMaxDistanceToCamera = 900 (was 300)
MicrophonePullTowardsTerrainLookAtPointPercent = 90% (was 60%)
ZoomMaxDistance = 1025.0 (was 425%)
ZoomSoundVolumePercentageAmount = 10% (was 20%)

Not a modder myself so I don't know how much that helps. Good luck eh !

Bingo. ;)

Those are the settings I changed to correct the audio for Triplehead/Surround, although my ancient notes say I used 96% for MicrophonePreferredFractionCameraToGround. Could be a typo in my changelog.

If you extract audiosettings.ini into your game folder (with the correct directory structure), you can play with the settings in a text editor and relaunch the game to test fairly easily.

Thanks for posting up the info, scav!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22